Congestion Control & Preemptive vs Reactive.

Hi,

I have a VDSL connection 20mbps Down / 1.1 mbps Up with a 7-8ms latency to 8.8.8.8 .

I set the bw cap at 70% and the bandwidth at 18 and 0.9 to account for the vdsl overhead (just in case)

but when i use the preemptive algorithme. i often find myself with a red bar in destiny.

if i use the reactive algorithme i always have a green bar.

So my question is :

when you advise for preemptive vs reactive using bandwidth as a discriminator, could latency itself also be a discriminator ?

i.e. you are assuming low bandwidth is likely high latency ?

adel

I think what the problem is is not the preemptive versus reactive what I think will solve your problem is don't set the congestion control to 70%. I would try first 85% then 90% then 95%. And then see which one gets you the green bars.

I have always had better results using reactive when using a 6mb adsl package and a fibre product keeping my ping low while my son streams etc others may have different results.

Like buck says I would try using a higher % on the upload, having saying that I used to use 70 70 on my 6 down 1 up adsl line with no issues.

• Netduma Staff

The pre-emptive algorithm is meant to be a better algorithm for gaming overall as apparently it deals with congestion better and also jitter. The only reason that reactive exists is because people who have a high bandwidth speeds won't be able to get that when using pre-emptive :)

Are you sure it isn't coincidence with the bars changing? And what does the ping on the Netduma say when you are red baring?

• Administrators

What I suspect is happening is because your upload is quite low and the preemptive algorithm is conservative, your upload will be only slightly above whats needed for gaming. So when you put it to reactive you have plenty. Try device prioritising your console with preemptive on and see if this improves it as then you can be sure it gets the upload it needs.

Archived