Black Ops 3 is a big challenge for NETDUMA crew.

Sgt-Greco

First off, let me say hi to my Netduma friends once more. I've been so busy the last few days.. Keep up the good work guys. :)

As you may have noticed, BO3 features the new ping meter. It also features a ping graph, similar to our beloved R1.

So the Questions are obvious (I think).

- Why readings differ so much?

- How come my exceptional jitter, is not that exceptional in BO3 meter?

- Which one is correct?

- I don't care what 8.8.8.8 says, I play games.

Don't get me wrong guys. Gaming community is a tough judge. Cross 'em and they'll kick your butt till hell starts to freeze. Just trying to prevent that.

Cheers.

forgive my bad English

In game ping tests have always been known to be pretty inaccurate.

The reason there may be jitter showing is because it could be from the side of the host or the server, not you.

So, you're telling us to ignore their readings?

Not telling you to ignore them :) Just be weary that they've never been accurate in the past.

Never seen a ping graph or ping number in the past Crossy. I've been playing since COD4

• Netduma Staff

Never seen a ping graph or ping number in the past Crossy. I've been playing since COD4

Sorry, I was unclear :) (I was referring to more of other games and the ping bars). I've been host and had people who live very close to me on 3 bars. All they'll have done (I assume) is use the number used to make the ping bars and put it into a nice graph and a number. Also, although it isn't the same game, when ever I've played BF (which is not often) the ping seams to have been wrong.

Also, the ping on the Netduma is a simple ping to the hosts IP address. Then the result is displayed on a graph. So not really sure where the Netduma one would/could be going wrong.

I played alot of modded mw2 on xbox 360 and I could mod it to show me a ping graph

cg_scoreboardPingGraph "1" cg_scoreboardPingText "1" 

That code was and still is in every game, but I don't think it was accurate because I would force host and it still showed about 30ms ping to myself (the host). I trust the R1's ping a little more than the in game ping. Especially since it's only a beta and the servers have been having issues lately. Although it is weird, some games are unplayable the ping graph shows 400ms ping and the R1 shows a steady 30ms ping to the server. How can that be?

• Netduma Staff

Although it is weird, some games are unplayable the ping graph shows 400ms ping and the R1 shows a steady 30ms ping to the server. How can that be?

On the Bops3 beta or when you are modding to show the graph?

On the Bops3 beta or when you are modding to show the graph?

In the beta, the second day we had some pretty bad games to the point that you couldn't even take a step forward without lagging back or into walls... The in game ping was maxed at 400ms and the R1 said ~30ms the whole time. Multiple times on different servers.

• Netduma Staff

In the beta, the second day we had some pretty bad games to the point that you couldn't even take a step forward without lagging back or into walls... The in game ping was maxed at 400ms and the R1 said ~30ms the whole time. Multiple times on different servers.

Where was the host showing on the Netduma? Was it close or far away?

Where was the host showing on the Netduma? Was it close or far away?

Close, and like I said it wasn't just one time - we played at least 5 games of 400 ping and the R1 was showing less than 50ms... Even in game though, their ping jumps all over the place on what feels like a perfectly smooth connection but the R1 shows a smooth low ping.

Close, and like I said it wasn't just one time - we played at least 5 games of 400 ping and the R1 was showing less than 50ms... Even in game though, their ping jumps all over the place on what feels like a perfectly smooth connection but the R1 shows a smooth low ping.

Maybe Iain does the programming that way to give you the illusion that you're getting a lower ping. LMAO

Hi,

for me the ingame ping = netduma ping. 

However it seems the beta is bypassing my geofilter settings even on strict. Not really sure why? 

I only get connected to dedicated servers. This might be a reason, they might have disabled p2p and there are no dedis close to me. But I wouldn't mind knowing what the plan is with B03 from the netduma crew.

Hi,

for me the ingame ping = netduma ping. 

However it seems the beta is bypassing my geofilter settings even on strict. Not really sure why? 

I only get connected to dedicated servers. This might be a reason, they might have disabled p2p and there are no dedis close to me. But I wouldn't mind knowing what the plan is with B03 from the netduma crew.

It's true that p2p is hard to find, although I've hosted a few games and I've seen a couple of migrations.

The dedi below is very kind with me as I get a crisp hit detection 55ms lag free games, so I stick with it.

55.jpg

btw where is your location gianni?

oh i am in Santiago Chile, to get below 150 ms ping it has to be p2p for me.

Now in the beta i only get connected to dedicated servers in california. Yesterday I tried using geofilter again and i couldn't find any games, meaning this time the geo-filter worked. 

So I think that people over here are instantly connected to the dedis and there is little p2p since I cannot see them in my filter radius

Just to confirm, if I wait long enough with geofilter on strict the game will still connect me to a dedicated server in california.

I think the beta is just not supported by the R1 right now. I really hope the actual game will be supported on release!

• 2 weeks later...

Information is power and thereby I'd never say ignore a reading.

Now that i've said that here is my next point...Gaming servers are going to queue your ping requests at the bottom of the heap...

Meaning if they are getting slammed (like during a beta) you will see higher than actual ping times and jitter as their load bounces from high to medium to overloaded.

I hope the above makes some sense (I only slept 5 hours last night...coded for a solid 16 woot! [Not only on the duma app I do this professionally])

Archived