Geofilter VS Ping Assist?

wasnt sure where to put this since the reordering... i am guessing this is maybe the place?

anyway i was thinking. geographic location doesnt mean good pings at all. it could be awful. wouldnt ping assist on strict mode be better to have as main setting? say PA of 30ms on strict with geofilter on minimum? that way it would only connect to low ping hosts?

I know some people like to place their home location in de ocean on a very small radious and sett ping assist to levels that they feel is good ping and search for games like that and it works for them.

On the other side distance is a cause of incresse in ping. When ping assist was implemented it was to suport geofilter.

Those situation where ping assist finds you a good ping looby far away are ussualy miss located host that are actually in near distance to you.

I guess in the end of they day what ever method works for you then keep it up.

close distance doesnt equal good ping. for example. my friend lives near me, BUT he is on a different ISP so the tracert to him goes all the way to another city [hub] and then back all the way here. sure distance does sometimes mean more ping... it really depends on the routes the internet decides to push the traffic.

historically i have been running the geofilter as my main filter and my PA low at like 20ish to pick up any outside... but playing olderr CODs i cant expect as many close to me, so i have been ever increasing my geofilter to pretty much the entire US/Canada and Mexico.

last night i just increased my PA more and lowered my geofilter. seemed to work okay.

also, strict mode or not? what is the implication of non-strict mode?

• Netduma Staff

i was thinking. geographic location doesnt mean good pings at all. it could be awful. wouldnt ping assist on strict mode be better to have as main setting? say PA of 30ms on strict with geofilter on minimum? that way it would only connect to low ping hosts?

There is a strong collation between distance and latency (lower distance = lower latency). This graph here from Iain's 'Wtf is lag' blog demonstrates that. But to your question as to why it could't be done purely off ping. 1) Ping assist apparently does a very difficult job and doesn't catch all the matches within that ping. 2) The ping could increase from the time that the initial ping to test it was sent.

I can only speak about aw as that all i play.

But here my knwoledge about the difference about ping assit and strictbmode off fished so lest see what others say

• Netduma Staff

Both do what? So strict mode or not?

They both allow you to connect outside the GeoFilter. I prefer strict mode off for CoD but it's up to you and depends if you care about lobby booting when finding a game or how long you're willing to wait.

Your right procreate distance should be the deciding factor in higher latency but in this world of shoddy ISP's and servers, people hosting from high local traffic networks who five minutes ago their network was uncongested when the game was looking for the host. Then a family member hogs all the bandwidth.

None of it helps when in game correct? And that doesn't even deal with within the geofilter right? It's simply just distance in hopes the ping is low...

So if I just hope that people's ping stays relatively flat I can just use PA with a acceptable ping say ~<60ms and reduce geofilter all the way down and it will do what I am hoping correct?

Last night on MW3 I did get a whole session never above 80ms on the max ping plot so that I thought was pretty good. Lot of people playing MW3 too surprisingly.

• Netduma Staff

None of it helps when in game correct? And that doesn't even deal with within the geofilter right? It's simply just distance in hopes the ping is low...

So if I just hope that people's ping stays relatively flat I can just use PA with a acceptable ping say ~

Last night on MW3 I did get a whole session never above 80ms on the max ping plot so that I thought was pretty good. Lot of people playing MW3 too surprisingly.

Yeah. You could put your GeoFilter in the ocean with strict mode off then set ping assist to whatever you feel is a reasonable ping. You might find that it takes longer to find games that way though.

• Netduma Staff

It would still be nice to have an option to apply the ping assist to hosts within the geo filter area.  

You can do that by just putting your home location in the ocean like I said above. No point having it filtering by distance and ping at the same time.

You can do that by just putting your home location in the ocean like I said above. No point having it filtering by distance and ping at the same time.

I fully understand that approach, and I have tried it.  Yes, it works often, but sometimes it is difficult to find games.  If you can't find games that way, you have to either increase your ping assist value or move your home location to use the geo-filter.  

• Netduma Staff

I fully understand that approach, and I have tried it.  Yes, it works often, but sometimes it is difficult to find games.  If you can't find games that way, you have to either increase your ping assist value or move your home location to use the geo-filter.  

I understand :) And that's why the GeoFilter filters by distance, because filtering by ping doesn't filter all the available games and therefore increases matchmaking times.

I understand :) And that's why the GeoFilter filters by distance, because filtering by ping doesn't filter all the available games and therefore increases matchmaking times.

Why not have the best of two worlds and have an option to combine them? LOL

• Netduma Staff

Dodgy Dedi's.

Just about all the dedis within the filter have decent pings from my experience and that's also thr case from what I've heard from others. So although I understand you might want to avoid them cause they don't play well, this method wouldn't do that effectively I don't think.

I think this might have something to do with the matchmaking of the CoD games itself.

It is optimized to put you quickly into a fitting game lobby.

At the start, the matchmaking checks the available games pretty quick, then it tries to join you into a lobby.

If you would now filter these available games by the geofilter and by the ping assist at the same time,

then I think the matchmaking would move on to the next lobby testing - due to the processing time -

right before the Netduma could decide whether the first available game would meet your defined conditions.

In the end you would not be able to join any game at all.

I could be wrong, though.

Archived