Does A New Modem Change My Internet?

Wake

Hello everyone :D

As I find myself here every couple of months with a new idea to possibly make my connection better I always come here to see if Ian or someone can help me solve something.

Now this isn't really a "problem" this is more of a question to help me better understand networking to my Netduma.

Now for starters let me explain my connection and how I've come up with this question.

I have regular cable internet under a company that is owned by Time Warner, my internet speed is 40 Down 2 Up (I know its sad but for the price you would be surprised) now that cable internet line connects to my modem (The Surfboard SB6121) which then has CAT6 Ethernet cord to my Netduma. As far as I know that's the best possible way I can have my data moving. But here is my question, I have researched lately about newer modems from this year and I've seen "newer" modems released. So my question is that if I was to upgrade my modem to one of these modems would my "data transfer" be any quicker? I saw Ian post saying that most of the problems these new routers have is the software. So wouldn't a new modem have better software?

So I've listed the 3 modems that many different websites have said are the "best" modems to date to use.

- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R92CEVU/?tag=bom_tomsguide-20&ascsubtag=[site|tguus[cat|[art|[pid|B00R92CEVU[tid|14388288757669302[bbc|LEPRIX

- http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJM4NKIQGABP2PIRA&tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00AJHDZSI&ascsubtag=WC12298

- http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6183-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00MA5U1FW?SubscriptionId=AKIAJM4NKIQGABP2PIRA&tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00MA5U1FW&ascsubtag=WC12298

And also a side question, if anyone that reads this if you know any cable that is faster than CAT6 and a link to it that would be great.

If you read this and gave me some answers thanks because I'm always trying to grow my network brain. 

• Netduma Staff

A new modem wouldn't increase the internet speed and I don't believe that it would decrease the latency either - I think it would only make a difference if there was something wrong with your current one.

On the other hand, a good modem can't hurt anything and I've hard that the Surfboards are very good. And yes, that setup is the best way to have everything set up :)

Finally, CAT-7 is newer than CAT-6 but it won't make your speeds faster and won't decrease latency - so need to upgrade to that imo :)

A new modem wouldn't increase the internet speed and I don't believe that it would decrease the latency either - I think it would only make a difference if there was something wrong with your current one.

On the other hand, a good modem can't hurt anything and I've hard that the Surfboards are very good. And yes, that setup is the best way to have everything set up :)

Finally, CAT-7 is newer than CAT-6 but it won't make your speeds faster and won't decrease latency - so need to upgrade to that imo :)

most cable companies you'll see a ~8MB/s speed gain on new modem (non-default modem).

• Netduma Staff

most cable companies you'll see a ~8MB/s speed gain on new modem (non-default modem).

Why is that? The Surfboard he has isn't a bad modem anyway and it says it can handle ~150Mb/s which is a lot more than it currently has to do.

Why is that? The Surfboard he has isn't a bad modem anyway and it says it can handle ~150Mb/s which is a lot more than it currently has to do.

is it ISP provided?  the modems your ISP provides have a configuration file that is perfect and allows them to fully control your modem.  The other custom modems they have a config file but they don't test it as much I guess because of the 3 cable providers i've had and 4 personal cable modems it's always given me more speed.

• Netduma Staff

is it ISP provided?  the modems your ISP provides have a configuration file that is perfect and allows them to fully control your modem.  The other custom modems they have a config file but they don't test it as much I guess because of the 3 cable providers i've had and 4 personal cable modems it's always given me more speed.

That makes sense but I'm not sure if his is ISP provided, I assume it is.

That makes sense but I'm not sure if his is ISP provided, I assume it is.

No the modem I currently have is one I bought, my ISP gives me a Router/Modem 2n1 and I bought this modem for my Nighthawk...then upgraded :D to a Netduma.

I'm not trying to increase my speed more of decrease latency, and I know the milliseconds shouldn't matter but I feel like if I can do better I should ;)

Would you say that this is better than the Surfboards? And I had no idea Netgear even made modems till I saw that one online. I'm just trying to get the best modem I can. Because of course I already have the best router I can possibly get.

I had the SB 6121 just as you have and wanted to upgrade because my SB 6121 was several years old and I was moving into a new house. Wanted new network. I went with CAT 6 cabling on the whole house and purchased the SB 6183 after a little research.  The only thing I saw was that the SB6121 has 4 download channels and the 6183 has 16. I was told to think of it as a Highway with 4 lanes versus 16 lanes, you can have much more traffic on 16 lanes then on 4.   Of course I could not test the before/after because I moved into a new home.

http://www.amazon.co...csubtag=WC12298

I want to say that there were some issues with that modem and the R1. I believe there was a bug exposed when they were used together. Search and forum and you should find it.

I had the SB 6121 just as you have and wanted to upgrade because my SB 6121 was several years old and I was moving into a new house. Wanted new network. I went with CAT 6 cabling on the whole house and purchased the SB 6183 after a little research. The only thing I saw was that the SB6121 has 4 download channels and the 6183 has 16. I was told to think of it as a Highway with 4 lanes versus 16 lanes, you can have much more traffic on 16 lanes then on 4. Of course I could not test the before/after because I moved into a new home.

http://www.amazon.co...csubtag=WC12298

Look up Buffering and Latency. I have the SB 6183 and do not use it anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived