steady ping

just wanted peoples input do most of you use it ? or don't or the ones that do do you think its beneficial or helps you in your game play. 

I've used it but I have to say when gaming I can't really tell if it's beneficial or not. It raises your ping but not enough to absorb real spikes. Honestly I think a lot of those are game server related as I get A+ (0/0) from waveform with my Internet speed/CC settings. I do like the idea I just think the default should be a little higher and as for expert mode when I raise the value to a ping I would expect a spike to achieve (i.e. 60-70ms) my latency would literally be in the 100ms area. When it's off my pings are in the 30-60ms range depending on game.

@Matthew_D

You only need this feature if your ping spikes consistently in game/have jitter problems do to your ISP it more or less it a remedy for those that do have bad jitter but if you don't then it puts you at disavantage as your just increasing your ping artificially with no benefit.

Ping is King do not forget that I still get shot behind corners it not like you can break physics but there something called consistancy and if you want that then it beneficial. My ping spikes around 5-10ms so I just use simple mode and it really hard to tell difference to be honest as the router already does a good job without it but that probably because I don't really suffer from jitter as much as others.

Honestly I thought CC helped more with jitter than steady ping, I could be wrong there. I know with my tp-link router I was ~1 jitter but with the R3 I usually get ~3. I do like the idea of having a more stable latency vs lower latency but that buffer just doesn't cut it for bigger spikes which like I said before I believe it's game server load related.

Hi !

Correction !

"Steady ping" is only of interest from the moment the game server you are playing on is unstable, it allows you to calibrate within a range (highest, lowest), a regular ping; which will allow you not to suffer from lag or anything else during the game depending on the server... 😉

4 minutes ago, Fuzy said:

Hi !

Correction !

Steady is only of interest from the moment the game server you are playing on is unstable, it allows you to calibrate within a range (highest, lowest), a regular ping; which will allow you not to suffer from lag or anything else during the game depending on the server... 😉

So let's say I'm playing pubg, I normally get ~40-60ms. Sometimes I get spikes to 80-90 which I'm assuming is server related. When I put the steady ping at let's say 70ms my in game ping is steady around 100ms. I thought in expert mode you were supposed to set the ping you're expecting to get. Is it like that or are you setting the buffer size?

Hi !

In expert mode you define the size of the artificial buffer.

In your case a buffer of 50ms should be good because you have peaks between 40 and 90 ms max on Pubg servers.

• 3 weeks later...

so let me understand this if my ping with it off is 17 ms or latency is my ping dont spike but maybe 3 or 4 ms so i should put steady ping to like 18 or 19ms? am i getting this right if i were to use it ?

No, you're setting the buffer amount. So the lowest it'll go (and also the simple mode value) is 10ms. So with the lowest setting of steady ping enabled your latency should be around 27ms and those little 3-4ms spikes will get lost in the buffer and you'll never even notice a change. At least that's how I understand it to be.

• Administrators

Using expert you're setting a target ping so yes you could set it to 20ms theoretically to account for those spikes. I don't think it was working properly like this in the past and more just adding a delay but with recent fixes to it, it should work how I've described.