MTU

Zli

Hello Fraser, I have a question. I've read a little and I need precise information to make everything right. It's about MTU. Can you tell me what MTU the servers in Poland for MW3 work on. Do they use the 1450 MTU, 1492 or 1500 MTU protocol. Thanks a lot

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Exactly as above! I also don't know what they would be using personally on their side of things

Start watching from 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

20 minutes ago, Zli said:

what you wrote is not correct. I sent a video

I'm sorry but that guy is waffling a lot of rubbish. You do realise that MTU = MAXIMUM Transmission Unit. By setting your MTU to the max MTU as offered by your ISP and as referenced on that link I posted, doesnt mean every packet you receive on your PC is going to be 1500 bytes as package size will differ from server to server and will normally be a lot less. If you try to exceed the MTU of your ISP, that is when you start getting packet loss due to fragmentation occuring

Here is another link about MTU to help you to understand it - https://homenetworkgeek.com/mtu-size/

1 minute ago, Zli said:

Hi Fraser, if you can find out the MTU protocols from the Polish MW3 servers, I would be very grateful.

Fraser has already said in a reply above he wouldnt know what they are. 

6 minutes ago, Zli said:

Hi Fraser, if you can find out the MTU protocols from the Polish MW3 servers, I would be very grateful.

Here is another video that will explain how MTU works. Have a watch to help educate yourself on this topic - 

ok, you want to tell me that it's ok if I set the router to 1472 and it doesn't ask for packet fragmentation, and the MW3 server works at 1450 so that I won't have problems? I understand what you're writing to me, but you obviously don't understand me. this is about If... my ISP modem works on 1492

1 minute ago, DanologyUK said:

Here is another video that will explain how MTU works. Have a watch to help educate yourself on this topic - 

8 minutes ago, Zli said:

ok, you want to tell me that it's ok if I set the router to 1472 and it doesn't ask for packet fragmentation, and the MW3 server works at 1450 so that I won't have problems? I understand what you're writing to me, but you obviously don't understand me. this is about If... my ISP modem works on 1492

Have you followed the guide on the 1st or 2nd link to calculate what your maximum MTU is? 

• Administrators

Changing MTU would not have an affect on your gaming. As long as the value you've set isn't fragmenting then you're good. Even if I knew what the MTU for the servers were which I don't (I've never looked into the ability to check a server MTU value but I'm certain you would need to get a ping response from them which for most servers they block) setting them to be the same wouldn't do anything. 

23 minutes ago, DanologyUK said:

Have you followed the guide on the 1st or 2nd link to calculate what your maximum MTU is? 

Yes, my Modem ISP maximum size is 1492 MTU. When I was doing fragmentation, 1472 was ideal and nothing needed to be fragmented. I saw the ping response and everything.

lol you got farmed by a youtube video and now you have mtu anxiety. 🤦‍♂️

There are plenty of threads on the forum that will point you in the right direction on best mtu settings for what you are trying to achieve. 

@ZliYou don't need to follow the PS5 MTU guide that youtubers propagate the reason it a problem in the first place was because Sony had some packet fragmentation issues back in 2013 or so and that caused issues in which by changing your mtu size it would fix the problem. So If your not seeing any UI loading bugs then there no need to change the MTU the only time I would change it on the PS5 is if I am using WIFI as they do seem to have MTU issues on older models couldn't say for the newer ones as there are chipset changes but if your not experiencing issues then there no need to do anything. Your max MTU is typically the most optimal though certain devices may have issues with certain MTU's which hence you may need to tweak the MTU as this isn't just one platform occurrence that I've seen before it just hard to diagnose and extremely rare to see it happen.

15 hours ago, DanologyUK said:

Fraser has already said in a reply above he wouldnt know what they are. 

if he doesn't know then who does? 🙂 I think they work at 1450 MTU now I found it

2 minutes ago, Zli said:

if he doesn't know then who does? 🙂 I think they work at 1450 MTU now I found it

So you are literally ignoring every response youve had and just rely on a youtube video that is falsely telling viewers how it works. oook.. You carry on. If MTU worked like that, dont you think you would be able to get the MTU server information for all games easily?

@ZliYour not understanding what MTU does so what it does is fragment the packets on your connection at different intervals even if you knew the servers packets it still wouldn’t matter much because the higher your MTU is the better the fragmentation as packets are sent quicker/less overload on the connection as it would have to send packets in smaller scale etc. Some modems are just not capable of running at low MTU’s as they overload though those are the potato ones with CPU issues from there own manufacturers so something to note.

3 hours ago, DanologyUK said:

So you are literally ignoring every response youve had and just rely on a youtube video that is falsely telling viewers how it works. oook.. You carry on. If MTU worked like that, dont you think you would be able to get the MTU server information for all games easily?

Everything is OK. there is no need to go further. I understand. Thank you