MTU - Enter a value or Leave default

Do you recommend entering a value here or just leaving it blank? I know the best MTU for my setup is 1500. Just wanted to verify. Thanks.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 203634.png

2 hours ago, PharmDawgg said:

Do you recommend entering a value here or just leaving it blank? I know the best MTU for my setup is 1500. Just wanted to verify. Thanks.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 203634.png

I have personally always used 1452 as my mtu. Everything always felt snappier.  Maybe I'm just old?

@PharmDawggThat really all depends on your own network some are not optimized for 1500 so you just have to test it. It not too complicated just check the mtu using command prompt and find the one that doesn't give you packet loss and add 28 to it after you find the optimal one and that about settles it.

You can leave it blank as your ISP will give you the highest one that there capable of automatically though as stated doesn't mean it optimized.

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2024 at 8:05 AM, DARKNESS said:

@PharmDawggThat really all depends on your own network some are not optimized for 1500 so you just have to test it. It not too complicated just check the mtu using command prompt and find the one that doesn't give you packet loss and add 28 to it after you find the optimal one and that about settles it.

You can leave it blank as your ISP will give you the highest one that there capable of automatically though as stated doesn't mean it optimized.

I really don't understand what you wrote here. I'll give an example - I found my MTU manually. I started from 1500, everything required packet fragmentation until I reached 1472. That was ideal. Now if I add those 28 to that 1472, what do I get? Again 1500 and packet fragmentation!? Thnx

On 3/18/2024 at 4:08 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

As above, leaving it blank will automatically use what your ISP/modem sets

My ISP uses 1492 but that requires packet fragmentation as well. what to do now? The modem from my ISP is now in bridge mode. Someone told me that Netduma R3 gives less lag if the modem/router from my ISP are set to bridge mode, so the router works better, is that true?

@ZliYes that would be it...the reason why you get fragmentation when you ping your max mtu is because it exceeds the limit of what it able to fragment. As for the bridge it depends how the device handles it but typically bridge is better as it just using the modem mode only.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Zli said:

My ISP uses 1492 but that requires packet fragmentation as well. what to do now? The modem from my ISP is now in bridge mode. Someone told me that Netduma R3 gives less lag if the modem/router from my ISP are set to bridge mode, so the router works better, is that true?

Well it ensures all devices are being controlled by the R3 so yes it would work better in that scenario

On 3/17/2024 at 10:45 PM, Proud R3 Owner said:

I have personally always used 1452 as my mtu. Everything always felt snappier.  Maybe I'm just old?

I always use 1420, and it works like a champ.