XR500 V2.3.2.134 Not showing the same speed tests as speedtest.net or bufferbloat

Hi,

I have a XR500 with the most recent firmware V2.3.2.134, I have 1GB internet and any time I do a speed test on speedtest.net/fast.com/bufferbloat I get 940Down/940Up, but when I do it within the DumaOS software I get random numbers between 600Down 200Up or 250Down 230Up and this is with QOS ON or Off, my PC is hardwired into the XR500 with a CAT6 cable.

I'm trying to get my bufferbloat score to A+ as I have bullet reg issues in call of duty, my score is currently A but it says for Gaming I have a caution triangle that says my bufferbloat needs optimizing with SQM.

Can anyone help me? I'm pretty tech savy and can provide any information needed. This is with SOQ off as you can see the 2 last speed tests were done right after each other, you can see I get like 317down 240 down but on speedtest by Ookla I get like 940Down & 940 Up with great ping

image.thumb.png.be44595f5e0f209bc39792269eba7502.pngimage.thumb.png.3fb6b8d4ce8bcc769a85a70b0b1e1085.pngimage.thumb.png.04c51dcd1030438b3f7022bbb13e1593.pngimage.thumb.png.1598b902a715cafa5039569ab647f278.pngimage.thumb.png.a0e40c31c20860aa993906f0dd33a557.pngimage.thumb.png.181c01db039b0fe7c3e224b0188623c8.png

• Administrators

Connection Benchmark uses different servers so they can show lower results but it doesn't mean it's limiting you as you've seen. Could you provide a screenshot of one of the other bufferbloat tests you've done?

Hello @RealSeb

When using WAVEFORM as a test here is what id suggest for you.. You may or may not have tried this.. But this was what always worked for me using WAVEFORM..

Here is a list of things to do..

1) Make sure you have you CC set to Always when testing.

2) Make sure your distribution flower is reset for both Upload and Download.. So everything is equal..

3) Make sure you have share excess enabled for both Upload and Download.

4) Test from the device you play on.. Example your gaming PC..

5) Adjust your sliders accordingly.. I always start at a 100% and work my way down. Usually at 10% increments and once I start to get close go to 5% increments. To finally achieve good results.. Of course do this on both Upload and Download..

6) If your still having issues make sure your not prioritizing any traffic at the time of testing.. Just in case its being pickup and bypassing CC..

What I have mentioned above is all geared to help get your buffer bloat score better.. Which should give you better in game experience..  Ideally you want your loaded results on Waveform to be as close to zero as possible on both upload and download..

Give those ideas a go!

If your still having a hard time post back for more help!

Thanks!

Zippy.

Hi Zippy,

I have done all this and got the exact same results from my bufferbloat, no difference in results.

I only recently played with the distribution flower, and resetting it has actually made my results worse I'd say as it hurt my active upload jitter.

I need to reduce my active download jitter to achieve a A+ which is caused by bufferbloat you can even see it in the screenshot you replied to, this is causing me to get desync & bullet registration issues.

• Administrators

What is the model of the modem/router the R3 is connected to and how have you set that to ensure all traffic flows to the R3? E.g. R3 in its DMZ, modem/bridge mode

Are ALL devices connected to the XR?

• 3 weeks later...

i have to say i noticed this also.
my XR1000 shows speeds of like 900MB where the XR500(beta ver) shows speeds of 300-400mb. both routers where plugged in the same way and on the on the same cables(cat8). 
I am doing testing as i just upgraded to a 1GB Full fibres (on 5/02/24) where i was on 150MB Copper from cabnet.  
It does seem when i run the ping on the XR500 the CPU (1and2)  Maxes out when running. but when doing a speed test out side (fast.com or google speed test) the CPU does not MAX out and give higher reading. 

I cannot get a Speed Test out side the router over 650MB but the router speed test shows all the time 900+MB(XR1000) 300-400MB (XR500) 
now the company i have gone with has some very bad reviews (OpenStream) but i thought i would bite the built as all the Full Fiber was installed all around my area within the last 6-8 months.
now they did not supply me with a router as you can save money by using your own router and only info they gave was "Username and password"

no info like
Internet Service Provider - i picked PPPoE
No Connection Mode - I picked "always on"
Idel timeout(done think this one matter) do left at 5
no info about "VLAN / Bridge Settings"  if this was needed or not. 

now this company looks to be using the Vodafone infrastuture as the UserID i was given has Vodafone.net in it. 

no mater what i do at the moment i am lucky to say get 1 download to get over 300MB if i run 3-4 downloads i may get close to 600-700mb. have tired different sources, Microsoft, and some large file test download sites,

to note I have tuned off everything when doing these test e.g QoS and even my DNS settings (NextDns) 

My setup is a bit strange tho. all cable in the wall are cat7, connections are cat8 and cable outside the walls are cat8. 
BT ONT > My XR1000 (main router) connect with cable to XR500 (AP) and 1x EX7700(AP) and 1x EX7700 (AP) wireless. 
XR500 connect to PS5, TV and Sonos with cables,
EX7700 (on Cable) connect to PS4 with cable. 

XR1000 and XR500 Give WIFI and Guest WIFI
Cable EX700 Give WIFI
Wireless EX7700 Give Guest WIFI

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's likely due to PPPoE that you're not seeing higher speeds, disable QoS fully and that may give you higher speeds

when doing my test i did disabled QoS,  removed my DNS setting, Disabled adblocker(even tho QoS done this for me) i even reset QoS before disabling it. 

i am going to reformat the XR1000 and start with a clean install from start to end. as one off the QoS is not loading as says 

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 21.39.18.png

• Administrators

That can be resolved without a reset but that will fix it. It occurs when you deleted the device from the Device Manager when that device was added specifically to the feature. Without the device being connected to the router the feature is looking for a device that isn't there and errors. So either a factory reset or connecting the device back to the router again under the same conditions will get rid of the error so with the same name, device type and connection method i.e. 2.4/5GHz or via ethernet.

Likely PPPoE then, if you have another router handle it instead of the XR I suspect you'll get higher speeds then.

38 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That can be resolved without a reset but that will fix it. It occurs when you deleted the device from the Device Manager when that device was added specifically to the feature. Without the device being connected to the router the feature is looking for a device that isn't there and errors. So either a factory reset or connecting the device back to the router again under the same conditions will get rid of the error so with the same name, device type and connection method i.e. 2.4/5GHz or via ethernet.

Likely PPPoE then, if you have another router handle it instead of the XR I suspect you'll get higher speeds then.

the question becomes i am not sure what the device is that was connected to it. is there a way to find this out?

do you have any recommendations on a Device to handle the PPPoE?

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Caution said:

the question becomes i am not sure what the device is that was connected to it. is there a way to find this out?

do you have any recommendations on a Device to handle the PPPoE?

No there isn't as you will have deleted the router doesn't have a record of it. 

No specific recommendations, if you already have another router that should handle it fine.

31 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No there isn't as you will have deleted the router doesn't have a record of it. 

No specific recommendations, if you already have another router that should handle it fine.

Would something like "UBIQUITI ER-X Networks EdgeRouter X 5 Ports Gigabit LAN/WAN Router, Black" work (not don't a lot of research in to this device just would look much nice in my set up then having a bit Router next to main router (XR1000)

61kYPh6xNDL._AC_SL1500_.jpeg

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Caution said:

Would something like "UBIQUITI ER-X Networks EdgeRouter X 5 Ports Gigabit LAN/WAN Router, Black" work (not don't a lot of research in to this device just would look much nice in my set up then having a bit Router next to main router (XR1000)

Probably yes, they're more enterprise level so will definitely have a PPPoE option