So, after playing with the R3, I have some ideas I want to throw in the ring.

1. Remote Access! It would be awesome to check in on my network while away, especially when my lady is not super tech savvy and relies on me to keep the internet humming along lol. 

2. Integrate the ping heatmap into the geo-filter, then allow us to auto whitelist and blacklist servers that are outside our comfort of playable latency, this would be so much more intuitive than drawing polygons as not every game has the same locale for good servers. What might be low latency for one game in an area, could be game breaking in another.

3. Also allowing us to see peer servers when creating a local game that may not use a dedicated server for a private match (This could already be a thing, haven't tested it yet lol). This would be a great way to implement a peer-to-peer reverse ping so we can see their latency to us and see if it is a local issue or a them issue.

4. This one is a little ambitious but stay with me. What if we had a feature that allowed us to create a custom static route to bypass crappy public internet routing? "Oh, hop 4 on my path is terrible, let me adjust this and make hop 5 of 7 hop 4." This may not be doable as I believe ISP's will control this but man, if we could the like a SD-WAN style route from our homes to our DNS provider to the game server, that would be insane! 

5. Dockers to run our own apps, like pihole for instance. Not sure this would be doable even on the R3 but it would be pretty cool. 

That's it for the ideas, just a few things that I have been meaning to put to paper. I had a few others but they fell off, if I remember them later I'll post them up. 

Happy New Year!!

@TG3NOC1D3

1. You can remote access your network though I don't personally recommend it as it a security risk you take at your own risk though I don't think they can do this as you'll need to create a dns domain and it subscription based so your paying for a domain of course there a free trial etc. You can follow the link if you want to do so https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-securely-remote-access-wifi-router/
  2. I do believe it'll happen eventually though who knows when...
  3. You can see your peer connection when you connect to a server so that nothing new
  4. Doubt that'll ever happen especially with ISP's wanting control over every little thing only way is using vpn to escape there control
  5. That on a dream land why do you think no router has this features?

• Administrators
  1. It's been requested so may come in future
  2. We do have plans to do this but it is a significant task
  3. Should be able to see peers, if you invite your friend to your lobby do you see them?
  4. I don't know if it would even be possible to adjust certain hops but cool idea
  5. I doubt that'll be implemented but will add to the list

6 minutes ago, DARKNESS said:

@TG3NOC1D3

1. You can remote access your network though I don't personally recommend it as it a security risk you take at your own risk though I don't think they can do this as you'll need to create a dns domain and it subscription based so your paying for a domain of course there a free trial etc. You can follow the link if you want to do so https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-securely-remote-access-wifi-router/
  2. I do believe it'll happen eventually though who knows when...
  3. You can see your peer connection when you connect to a server so that nothing new
  4. Doubt that'll ever happen especially with ISP's wanting control over every little thing only way is using vpn to escape there control
  5. That on a dream land why do you think no router has this features?

My UDM Pro allowed dockers for running my own apps lol. So number 5 is not a dream land ask, it may just be too much for the current hardware.

4 is not a small task but it could be done, just depends on the ISP and if breaking their "preferred" routing would be an issue with them lol. 

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:
  1. It's been requested so may come in future
  2. We do have plans to do this but it is a significant task
  3. Should be able to see peers, if you invite your friend to your lobby do you see them?
  4. I don't know if it would even be possible to adjust certain hops but cool idea
  5. I doubt that'll be implemented but will add to the list

1. It would be nice but definitely would need a secure way to do it lol.

3.Nice, I will have to try it, It didn't look like it showed up the other night but I will see what happens when I created a psn party tonight. 

4. Yeah, ISP's are weird about that so it may not be doable but I know Asus has that optimal route deal on their router, I would have to get the exact name and see if it truly works but it would be interesting to see on this router with the geo-filter in a tag team tandem.

5. Just thought I would throw it out there, it would probably be easier (and safer) to just allow certain apps to be added to the router depending on the load of course. 

@TG3NOC1D3Possible though it took that company a long time to add that as feature from the looks of it seems like it was added about 2-3 years ago also what exactly can you run on the docker as apps?

On 1/3/2024 at 12:29 AM, DARKNESS said:

@TG3NOC1D3Possible though it took that company a long time to add that as feature from the looks of it seems like it was added about 2-3 years ago also what exactly can you run on the docker as apps?

It’s been a thing on Unifi for many years where people have added custom stuff however recently Unifi have made it clear that recent beta updates and general release are going to make this hard in the future. They changed the container structure so many so called custom addons no longer work. The UDMB and UDM Pro was behind the new UDM Pro SE and UDR but now they are all inline with current firmware. These are more complex routers compared to the more traditional home routers but they are not as advanced as the next tier up but that’s going into full blown enterprise stuff and licences which most users don’t require or would not understand the core uses. 

14 hours ago, Newfie said:

It’s been a thing on Unifi for many years where people have added custom stuff however recently Unifi have made it clear that recent beta updates and general release are going to make this hard in the future. They changed the container structure so many so called custom addons no longer work. The UDMB and UDM Pro was behind the new UDM Pro SE and UDR but now they are all inline with current firmware. These are more complex routers compared to the more traditional home routers but they are not as advanced as the next tier up but that’s going into full blown enterprise stuff and licences which most users don’t require or would not understand the core uses. 

Yeah I realized the other day they made containers extremely annoying to use so that is gonna be a huge red mark in my book. To be honest, I've been eyeing the firewalla line of security devices or running a mini pc like the protectli and using Opnsense or openwrt for my Firewall/Container needs and then using the Duma as my DHCP/Routing/Geo-Filter/QOS

8 hours ago, TG3NOC1D3 said:

Yeah I realized the other day they made containers extremely annoying to use so that is gonna be a huge red mark in my book. To be honest, I've been eyeing the firewalla line of security devices or running a mini pc like the protectli and using Opnsense or openwrt for my Firewall/Container needs and then using the Duma as my DHCP/Routing/Geo-Filter/QOS

When they first moved over there was a few people upset but for Unifi it was bring the whole range into a single bundle for ease of use and to make them more secure. I’m not keen on their iCloud services, recent events kind of show this.iCloud and keys need to be handled well and perhaps it shows they are not quite there yet but lessons learned. 
Many use pfsense and OPNsense and you have their own line of routers from Netgate from pfsense which many like. There is some bickering between the two as it’s a love hate relationship between users. 

Not all services are free though but it offers more flexibility. Suricata is what Unifi use where on pfsense/OPNsense you would be on the most upto date version or snort is another IPS/IDS. 
Unifi probably do better with APs in many peoples eyes.They are known to be good and they have a WiFi 7 one out soon but not a full fledged one not that it’s needed yet until more clients appear.

IPS/IDS is more aimed at if you run a server for example, most home users don’t really require it. It’s a long way behind the AI stuff from other companies which is the way forward now but you pay for it. For home users though it’s just not needed though so basic ones are fine. 

Unifi go down the cheap and affordable small business pro consumer route, Netduma is more aimed at gaming so different markets for end users.