Issues with R3 connecting to home pods

Deasha

Ever since setting up my R3 I’ve had trouble connecting my home pods to my R3. When I go through the set up process on my iPhone I get a message on completion of set up saying  “

Some Features May Not Work on This Network

HomePod features like AirPlay and

Personal Requests may not work on

' because it does not support peer-to-peer connections.”

On the R3 my home pods show up in devices with no issues at all. I have UPNP turned on also. Any help would be much appreciated

I’ve tried disabling steady ping and geo filter but still getting the same message. It appears the speaker is set up but the router is limiting its functionality. AirPlay  just can’t find the speakers at all and when trying to create a stereo pair they won’t communicate with each other. Definitely seems like a communication problem. Any ideas or list of ideas you can think of for me to try today?

Tried everything to get them set up but keep getting this message. 

Tried geo filter off, smart boost off, steady ping off, separating wifi bands, kicking ISP connection, reseting ISP ports, reseting network settings, factory reset router, UPNP on and off, port forwarding apples air play ports manually, factory resting home pods, deleting all data from phone and iCloud before factory reset, saving manual IP addresses for home podS

Ok, after going through it After a few plays on COD and CS2 when I rebooted the router, the SmartBoost became disabled and won't enable anymore. And the only way to get it back enabled is to factory reset.

Another Note, the Ping optimizer history doesn't show anything. Even after performing a few tests.

You know what would have really helped make your transition to the R3 smoother?
The fact that you should have a permanent SSID and password that you will reuse on every router from now and in the future to ensure that you do not have to reconnect any and all your devices to your new WiFi SSID which can lead to issues such as this.

So for example, if you have set your WiFi SSID to 'Deasha' and password to 'netduma', all you have to do is making sure to change the SSID and password on your new Netduma R4 or something in the future to that same SSID and password and your devices will connect to your new router like as if you didn't even changed it. That's how much simpler your life could be rather than to mess with some Home Automation devices which can be finicky when changing WiFi SSIDs.

Another note, make sure to not use some Smart Connect features like having the same WiFi SSID for your 2.4GHz network and 5GHz network. It can give you a serious headache for some devices where they NEED you to connect to the 2.4GHz WiFi network for setup of their devices. It will be very difficult for you to know which WiFi SSID is which that your phone needs to connect to before letting the Home Automation device connects to the 2.4GHz network for example. That is why, as I always recommend and do, keep all Home Automation devices with low bandwidth requirement and are generally scattered all over the home to always use the dedicated 2.4GHz network and keep your 5GHz band congestion-free for actual devices that can take advantage of the 5GHz bandwidth and shorter range like our phones, laptops and so on. Just a general quality of life thing to save you some headaches with Home Automation devices disconnecting due to the short range of the 5GHz network and because of the congestion in the WiFi traffic all sharing the same 5GHz antenna when the 2.4GHz one is free of any traffic.

There is something fundamentally wrong with the routers ability to have devices on the same network communicate. Seeing a lot of people dealing with similar issues on the R3. 

I managed to find a work around by plugging an old router into the R3 and using it as an AP and connecting my speakers to that for anyone having similar problems. But really frustrating to not be able to connect a speaker to a brand new router in late 2023 and requiring a second router to get basic functionality. The amount of issues has been overwhelming for me sadly.

I love Netduma and have faith you guys will turn it around soon! ❤️ 

I am having the same issue.

This is my post in R3’s forum. https://forum.netduma.com/topic/52907-unable-to-connect-to-the-local-wi-fi-server/

Please take a look, I am pretty sure it’s the same problem.

Luckily I found another recent post https://forum.netduma.com/topic/52834-wifi-client-isolation-issue/ talking about this. It seems devices on the same Wi-Fi frequency can’t communicate each other, which explains your problem. I have also a HomePod, already configured, it uses 5GHz Wi-Fi frequency just like my phone.

This is a very serious problem, dear Netduma team, please help.

I tested with an old phone with only 2.4GHz Wi-Fi support. It worked, the phone can see my iPad on 5GHz band, however, if both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi frequency, they can't see each other. It's reproducible, I can confirm.

I believe AirPlay and HomePods Pairing issues are all caused by this bug.

• Administrators

@Deasha I have sent you a PM, could you let me know if that helps please?

Thank you for the reports everyone, I have passed it onto the team and we'll be looking at it asap, could you all tell me the firmware version you're currently on as well please?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrators
23 hours ago, WipeAUT said:

Hello,

I have now tested it with version 4.0.23 and still have the problem. Is there anything in sight regarding this?

It'll be fixed in the next firmware

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 6:57 PM, Spdsk8race said:

Try connecting the homepod to the 5ghz network and see if that fixes it. 

Hello, no unfortunately does not work

• Administrators
On 4/10/2024 at 8:57 AM, WipeAUT said:

Hello Frazer, thank you. Which version will that be?

The version number is still to be decided (it'll be 100+) but whatever the number it'll be the next one available.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
15 hours ago, Blumio said:

Hi Fraser, so in my ubderstanding the peer to peer topic should be fixed in the next firmware correct? Do you recommend nevertheless the split of 2.4 and 5 ghz?

It is yes, it's available on the Early Access version which I've given you access to. If you upgrade to that you then don't need to split the WiFi unless you want to.

https://forum.netduma.com/forum/151-netduma-r3-early-access/