Fiber internet

scbba

The modem is just the receiver for the signal it doesn’t do much more than that the more channels the better since it means less congestion but there always buffer though if your running 500mbps it shouldn’t really impact you too much though it always best to use qos to reduce the buffer when gaming since other devices may impact it and manually prioritize the device so it not impacted though not necessary that just my personal opinion.

Hi !

There are no huge differences between FTTH (optical fiber) or FTTLA ( coaxial cable) for the user. The major advantage of FTTH fiber, in addition to its slightly faster connection speed, lies in the upstream speeds, which are significantly higher than those of FTTLA.

FTTH fiber optic connections are also slightly more reliable in the long term, less subject to line weakening (loss of flow depending on the distance of the cabling from the connection node).

At peak times, in both cases, you can have congestion problems because the two types of lines are shared on the tree with other users. FTTH remains a more modern technology than FTTLa, therefore safer, I think.

@scbbaAs @Fuzystated to add you won't necessarily feel it if your using your internet for streaming content so forth but anything to do with VOIP communication is were it noticeable so if you want to the most responsive experience with gaming your always going to need sqm in some sort of way

• 2 weeks later...

Ok great thank you guys for the information. Would the r2 be a good investment for this since it’s speeds are only 1gbp as they sent me an offer for 2gbp for $70 a month. How many users can be on the r2 before it slows down ? If I get the r2 should I get a couple ap to take some of the things off the r2 ? 

• Administrators
On 11/8/2023 at 1:59 PM, scbba said:

Ok great thank you guys for the information. Would the r2 be a good investment for this since it’s speeds are only 1gbp as they sent me an offer for 2gbp for $70 a month. How many users can be on the r2 before it slows down ? If I get the r2 should I get a couple ap to take some of the things off the r2 ? 

I don't know how many devices you have but I've never seen anyone encounter any issues from having too many devices. We've had 50+ devices running fine on it but as you know you wouldn't be able to use half your new speeds through the R2.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, scbba said:

ok great thank you.. I know it only goes to 1gig and I would lose half however is there a router with duma os on it that goes over 1 gig?

There is the XR700 that allows you to go higher with SFP but QoS would still only cover 1Gps. The router isn't manufactured anymore though so it would have to be second hand and with that means support for updates would end sooner rather than later.