Internet Issues

Morning All 

Does anyone know what the problem is here, so i have the setup as 

Fibre to the property, this goes into a ONT, from the ONT i have a cat8 cable connected to the xr700

From the xr700 i have a cat5e cable connected to the PC

I have everything else unplugged and also all wifi turned off (i say off its just nothing connected as i changed pwd) 

The upload and idle in ping test under load is as below but the download ping under load is crazy. It causes me to be desynced with the cod servers so my bullets dont register.

See photo.

Screenshot_20230610_185021_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230610_185015_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230607_122427_Gallery.jpg

I have tried swapping the cat 8 and cat5e cables out with cat 7 cables and cat 6 and nothing.

Also the pic in cod is me spectating my team mate. But so is 2 other team mates. Theres the guy alive is shooting right at the guy. Me hes shooting behind.

This causes me issues in cod because where i see the person and shoot, there not actually there so my bullets arent registering.

Do you even have congestion control setup correctly if it not I am not surprised about that buffer bloat it horrendous that why your shots aren't synced. Also when doing benchmarks apply always on cc to see results of benchmarks

• Administrators

Ping Under Load occurs with the connection saturated, if you have just the one device connected and gaming that won't be the cause but utilizing QoS definitely won't hurt. What is the ping to the game as shown by the Geo-Filter?

For the test, there is literally nothing on. Its just ONT to XR700 to PC with 1 web browser open.

Is this issue from my ISP? Could it be a faulty ONT? 

I tried applying QoS on the router also which i didnt think would help as its literally the 1 pc connected. An still bad. 

I get the exact same result with all wifi connected and 5 pcs etc with QoS off. Which is what leads me to believe its isp or ont. 

In game with geofilter on i get 19ms ping 

• Administrators

It's hard to say, on Connection Benchmark what is the result your getting on the Ping Test the one before Ping Under Load. 

19ms is very good, what is the average ping in game? If that is a lot higher, over 30ms higher than the Geo-Filter ping then that would be a server side issue and you'd benefit from forcing different servers to find ones that have a lower in game ping even if the ping on the Geo-Filter is slightly higher.

The ping result before is literally perfect like all flat lines around 10ms. Ill get a screenshot tonight when i finish work. 

My ping in game dosent seem to be an issue, its rly good. I am just desynced with the server and the only thing ive found that makes any sense is that 150ms download ping under load - which when i look at game im probably 150ms behind the other players etc. So it seems to line up that that is the issue.

Only thing i cant get my head around is that with nothing at all turned on and plugged in other than my PC surely that means it has to be ISP side be that down the line or in the ONT. Id imagine its ONT because i cant imagine fibre having any interference or issues its just light. Surely its either on or off. 

• Administrators

The best test now would be to unplug the router and connect your PC directly to the ONT and see whether you have the same experience, if you do then it's most likely on the ONT/ISP side or potentially on the PC side.

These where results, not sure what any of it means but it all looks good. This is ONT - XR700 - My PC with everything still connected (about 50 wifi devices and 5 pcs etc)

Does test mean theres no issue with my ISP so its my side? If so, how can that be if ive gone ONT - XR700 - 1 pc only with nothing else connected etc.

I also have no idea what any of it means so i dunno if thats what its saying 🤣👍👍

20230615_203710.jpg

20230615_203657.jpg

• Administrators

That all looks really good, so it would indicate it being on your side. Use the guide I mentioned/PingPlotter again, saturate your connection with downloads/streams etc and experiment with the Congestion Control percentages to see what gives you the best values on the bottom graph. It's best to start with a high value for Congestion Control, say 95% then do a test, decrease by 10%, test, decrease by 10% etc, until you get to a value that is pretty good and then try 5% either side of that value to see if it can be improved. It's important to note that Download & Upload on Congestion Control don't have to be the same value and that you may have a better experience with differing values.

• Administrators

High speeds doesn't necessarily mean a stable connection. I can't give you an answer really as by all accounts you shouldn't be having any issues at all. If you try the above then you'll have pretty much done everything to fine tune the connection on your side.

Please see attached photos. I also ran a speed test at the end on 5% (50mb) on speedtest.net just to ensure the QoS was working which it was.  

The first photo is just t o show the overall results
The second photo I have seperated the tests and shown that it peaks on speedtest and also on ping under load download
The third photo is just to show graph form

So I went from 95% 85% 75%..... 5% etc. Nothing on my router or my side changed anything. The test results where exactly the same. 

I assume that this therefore means that it is ISP related? 

Congestion Control Ping Router.png

Congestion Control Ping.png

Graphs.png

• Administrators

Was a speedtest the only thing you did to saturate your connection? If so it doesn't last long enough for you to get a good idea of whether QoS will be able to eliminate any spiking, downloading would be best, a game on steam for example, then try it again

Have you set congestion control to "always"? As indicated upstream, because if there is no traffic detected as a priority, the congestion will not be taken into account!

Capturedcran2023-06-18120420.png.c4d7b03eba47e213a855179059acb284.png

I already had this kind of peak on the benchmark result, it was mainly due to a badly set QoS on another device upstream of the Netduma!

Do you get this result also by trying this link?

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat