Win10 thread

procreate

So I'm at a standstill not sure if I want to have to make an account with Microsoft for cortana. Do I already have an account with XBL with Microsoft? My current issue is I am playing with win10 on my media center machine which is the whole families... I don't necessarily want my personal account associated with it.

Anyone else playing with Cortana?

Also, I just went to put in my account login... I leave my media center without online account and no password because it does not have any sensitive information and I dint want password protection on it so it boots to desktop. I dont have cable and it's my main watching device. Hulu. Netflix, etc... But in order to enable cortana it makes you password protect it. Microsoft needs a generic unprotected login for this. I might be a very small population of people really using a computer in this manner but still prevents me from accessing cortana.

Do I need to make a general family email account now for this particular machine? Also my wife's email has Netflix and hulu and I notice there are apps for this instead of using the browser... Can you log in with a different e-mail?

there is no local account anymore. at least to get cortana up and running fully. historically i have only used a local account but started to see that was going away last release.

errr, i have it as a local account now... just miss some of the stuff because of it. trying to fully play with it.

On 8 you missed out on the app store downloads, and on 10 you will miss out on Cortana but its just another info collecting app anyhow.

Get a good firewall installed that is set to interactive so it will pop up when ever MS try to grab info and you will be shocked even on older OS's

Every time I would open my explorer and choose a song, upload to Ms, everytime I opened a browser and selected a site upload to Ms, the list goes on.

I use Eset's firewall it does a great job of stopping these weirdo's.

Puppets of the government's, puppets of Google and Microsoft.

I've long conceded that information is always being collected using anything. I'm fairly certain information is being collected at ALL TIMES with my phone even just sitting in my pocket.

I'm more curious how to manage it for general usage that isn't tied to a single user.

Multiple accounts.

So when it boots you have the option of logging in to either.

Or do you want one account with muliple users i doubt this is possible right now.

The only down side to this is if one of the users gets a browser hijack you all suffer until you sort it.

Where having multiple accounts they only affect there own.

I have made a partition on my ssd so i have still got 8.1 and then I have done a fresh instal of 10 on the other partition.

I unticked all the security risk stuff in the set up.

I installed eset securtity before I plugged the ethernet cable in and unticked all the securtity risks in settings my god there is a shed load.

Then plugged in the internet and boom 20 odd differnet connection's kept popping up to microsoft, I have them all blocked.

This is now, the future is only going to get worse (bladerunner times a head)

I was stuck and couldn't get past 25% overall progress and 84% copying files...the computer would just freeze/lockup...

Solution: unplug sata cables from DVD/CD drives remove all SD cards and remove any other USB drive other than the windows 10 media...

Boom...installed.

The only down side to this is if one of the users gets a browser hijack you all suffer until you sort it.

Where having multiple accounts they only affect there own.

it's a media center. it runs netflix, hulu, xbmc for the most part. occasional youtube, and spotify + pandora. no one is really "browsing" on it, no emails come in on it.

so anyway... the point is that i would like to try and run all these as apps [hulu, netflix, spotify, pandora] but cant do it without putting an account and password on the machine. i always want that machine to boot to desktop always with no login, can windows still do auto-login?

Yes mine auto logs in ,  local account it was hidden in plain sight on the sign in screen bottom left in a dark blue link very small to catch people out so they use a live account or some other email account.

Yes i was telling you how bad it was the other day , shocking.

You have to opt out while installing then go to settings / privacy and opt out of say 40 spying tool, then you have to use a good firewall as there is still more connecting to ms eben though you opt out.

Im just happy Esets firewall is so good.

Here is what its trying to connect to even though ive opted out of everything....

All calling home

Windows explorer

Background task host

Device association framework provider host

Browser broker

Windows problem reporting

Windows Activation client

Host process for windows tasks

Search And cortana service (even though i disabled it)

Windows installer

Microsoft telementy

Windows host process

Microsoft feed back STUF deployment manger client

If you use an account all your browsing history , bookmarks etc is saved to their cloud

All blocked by Eset and WIN 10 working perfectly non of this is needed and all privacy objects set to off.

hey Z,

Seen you mention Eset a couple of times and had good things to say.  I'm looking to try something different, and their AV & Internet Security sounds like it does all the right stuff.

Would you recommend them, or suggest any alternatives to look at?

Thanks in advance :)

Kaspersky and Bitdefender have slightly better 0day protection than Eset but their firewall is soooo good when set to interactive.

It warns me of all incoming and outgoing in real world so who the server is owned by and the developer etc which i like.

I use Emsisoft anti-malware as a along side scanner it uses it's own and Bitdefenders engine, it is not an AV so it run's along side Eset smart security just fine.

0day or 0hour is when the malware first drops so day 1 (yes i know why 0)

So the malware has not been put into any signatures the software looks at the process and stops it and warns you that it looks malicious.

Eset does really well just pipped to the post by the world leaders. (but emsisoft uses the sigs so i have the best of both worlds)

Eset has a 30 day trial, you have to set the firewall to interactive when prompted.

http://www.eset.co.uk/Home/Smart-Security

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/internet-security

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/solutions/internet-security.html

Archived