Moving my duma to my parents from my house.. is there anything I need to do beforehand

Matt_Akira

Hey guys! So like the title suggests my parents have just upgraded to a virgin super duper hub 2 with a great ping and way better internet than mine. The Mrs is away from tomorrow till Sunday so for me this is prime time to test the duma out on a decent connection (my internet is shite at mine). Anyway, do I have to factory reset the duma before I set it up at my parents or do I just unplug it from mine and just set it up at theres using the virgin installation guide on here? I don't want to cripple the duma or anything so just thought I'd put it out here first! Thanks in advance. :-)

Hi,

I have a Virgin Super Hub, and I have the Duma connected to that. The SH is in router mode, and the Duma is connected to that. Before connecting the Duma, run a speed test (wired) as these are the speeds you will put into the Duma, depending on your speed test you may have to tick reactive etc.

Hope this helps

Yeah like Macca says get a speed test average for the virgin line and place that in to the set bandwidth tab in the congestion control if you use ping assist and the ping's are lower you can adjust this also.

That should be that for the duma side of things really unless they live somewhere else totally and you would move your home location.

Lucazs set up guide for virgin Here

No need to be sorry I guessed as much :)

Wireless does not really yield the best results, do your parents not have a wired device you could test on?

If they do not you will have to test via wifi but if it is a fast connection bandwidth wise then wifi speeds might not be a high as wired.

Nope they just have ipads haha I had a dell laptop for just over a year and the c: drive corrupted, typical. Strange though because I never put the speeds from my skyhub into my duma it just automatically done it? I checked via wireless and the speed was showing 55 down 4 up? 23ms ping

It will not automatically put the speeds in no, on the congestion control page just under the words anti-flood it says "set bandwidth" you must type in the upload and download into the boxes provided.

If you do not set the bandwidth when you change the congestion control settings they will not tally up to the percentage of the slider.

Hey Matt,

I move the Duma between two locations A LOT - BT ADSL to Sky Fibre and vice versa.  The only change I make is updating the U/L and D/L numbers in Congestion Control, and the unit works flawlessly.

No need to factory reset, or do anything else Duma side.

As the Guy's have said, ensure the Virgin Hub is set up correctly, adjust the Bandwidth, and you should be plugging and playing in a matter of minutes.

Remeber also on that guide that this is to make R1 primary router.

What that means is you turn you SH in to modem only so all the internet trafic gos trough R1.

If you would take the duma back you will have to set the SH IN TO ROUTER MODE AGAIN. So that other people can use internet after youare gone.

Here is how to do it.

. Access the Super Hub’s settings page via the web page shown on the bottom of the unit. If you have enabled Modem Mode on your Super Hub (the logo on the front will be glowing purple) you will need to use 192.168.100.1 instead. For more information, check Configuring advanced settings on your Virgin Media router.

2. Once you've logged in, click Super Hub Settings.

3. In the Modem Mode section, click the Disable Modem Mode button. You’ll see a pop-up asking you to confirm the change.

4. Click Yes to continue. Your Super Hub will reboot and return to hub mode.

Archived