Problems with Geofence

Micksen45

Hi there,

since MW2 has been put me into lobbies sometimes where I had a ping of 40-60, I started using the geofilter. I draw a polygon around my location (Germany) and set the ping assist to 0. Afterwards I never had a Ping above 30, which worked very well for a few weeks.

However, since a week or so, the same settings make my game to start looking for matches with a ping of 150 or above, which is weird, since I didnt change anything. And I cant find a game with geofence on. When I disable my geofence I am starting to look for a game with normal ping, but then, I might get put into lobbies with quite a high ping again.

Anything Activision changed on their side when using geofencing? And is there anything I can get back to my low ping lobbies ?

Personally I find low ping lobbies to be worse than the 40-70ms lobbies. With low ping I feel about half a second behind the gameplay so it feels like I’m dead in one bullet (you just hear and feel a thud then you’re dead so you think it was a shotgun or SPR)…but the killcam shows they see me first, empty half a mag in to me and I haven’t even ADS or shot a bullet. I don’t understand how the netcode can be this bad for my local servers, but it’s definitely better for me if I connect to higher ping servers.

1 hour ago, Micksen45 said:

Hi there,

since MW2 has been put me into lobbies sometimes where I had a ping of 40-60, I started using the geofilter. I draw a polygon around my location (Germany) and set the ping assist to 0. Afterwards I never had a Ping above 30, which worked very well for a few weeks.

However, since a week or so, the same settings make my game to start looking for matches with a ping of 150 or above, which is weird, since I didnt change anything. And I cant find a game with geofence on. When I disable my geofence I am starting to look for a game with normal ping, but then, I might get put into lobbies with quite a high ping again.

Anything Activision changed on their side when using geofencing? And is there anything I can get back to my low ping lobbies ?

Where are you reading the ping value from, Geo-filter or in-game? If you compare the reading you see in Geo-filter vs. In-game, are they much different? Could you try forcing a few different servers and see if you're having the same problem on all of them?

On 12/6/2022 at 12:50 PM, Netduma Liam said:

Where are you reading the ping value from, Geo-filter or in-game? If you compare the reading you see in Geo-filter vs. In-game, are they much different? Could you try forcing a few different servers and see if you're having the same problem on all of them?

Ping Value is the Ping from the Menu Screen when looking for a match, but as I said, I cant find a game with the geofence on. How do I force a different server? Using geofence on another region?

On 12/6/2022 at 10:39 AM, Micksen45 said:

Hi there,

If you been put into a lobby of above 150 then likely you been shadow banned, about a week you get unbanned put into regular lobby ping. Happens to me now and then. Either I have been reported several times thinking I was cheating for playing better than them or it happens I was paired into a lobby with a cheater on my team or the opposing team then the game just randomly shadow bans everyone that had high kills at the end of the game. Once I spot a cheater I quit the lobby. I believe system thinks we all cheating on the team which isn't the case.

Weird thing, its working again as intended. Not sure why it didnt work for like 1 week and now working again. Didnt change anything at all

You're likely only able to connect to one server in that polygon, so if that server is too busy or down for maintenance, you won't be able to connect. Ideally set a couple more polygons over a few more servers for a more consistent experience.

1 hour ago, Seye said:

If you been put into a lobby of above 150 then likely you been shadow banned, about a week you get unbanned put into regular lobby ping. Happens to me now and then. Either I have been reported several times thinking I was cheating for playing better than them or it happens I was paired into a lobby with a cheater on my team or the opposing team then the game just randomly shadow bans everyone that had high kills at the end of the game. Once I spot a cheater I quit the lobby. I believe system thinks we all cheating on the team which isn't the case.

I also thought it, but i wasnt shadow banned.

1. I didnt even find a lobby

2. I could join "normal" ping games without the geofence

3. Checked for shadow ban on activision 

Thats interesting , How did possibly check if your account was shadow banned on activison? Because my account was once hijacked by PC player, it took activsion 3 months to check my details etc before they recovered my account, I was forced to open a temporary to play on until my hacked account was recovered.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Micksen45 said:

Let us know if it happens again, if it does do what Liam suggested and cover a few more servers and see if you can get those lower pings still

On 12/9/2022 at 3:03 PM, Seye said:

Thats interesting , How did possibly check if your account was shadow banned on activison? Because my account was once hijacked by PC player, it took activsion 3 months to check my details etc before they recovered my account, I was forced to open a temporary to play on until my hacked account was recovered.

you can check any bans here 

https://support.activision.com/ban-appeal