How to setup with existing router

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Netduma Fraser

Now this is strange...When I do the connection test on my x1 it says the NAT is strict while on CoD on PS4 it says it is open...

I believe this can be a false positive. If you disable the Geo-filter and restart xbox and do the test again what does it say? 

Ok gang i need to know what ive done wrong.

Just the pc and modem i speed test at nearly 8mb by 1mb and with the duma added its 4.5mb by 0.44mb.

Naturally i feel like im dragging a ball and chain around.

1 person its bearable, add another doing anything even crappy apps on the iphone its game over for all.

A picture because we all like pictures right.........

MMAWeS.jpg

• 5 months later...

Is there a way to put the Netduma in bridge mode? I have an airport time capsule as my main router. It then has Ethernet running to my bedroom where I have a 8 port switch. The switch has my ps4, xb1, Mac, Apple TV and main TiVo box. I would like to replace the switch with the Netduma. Problem is that makes all my devices in my room on a separate network and that doesn't work for me because I need my apple tv and tivo box on the same network as the rest of the house

Is there a way to put the Netduma in bridge mode? I have an airport time capsule as my main router. It then has Ethernet running to my bedroom where I have a 8 port switch. The switch has my ps4, xb1, Mac, Apple TV and main TiVo box. I would like to replace the switch with the Netduma. Problem is that makes all my devices in my room on a separate network and that doesn't work for me because I need my apple tv and tivo box on the same network as the rest of the house

There is no way to bridge mode the R1. You could try modem>R1>8 port switch>time capsule. As long as you can move the modem to your bedroom. You'd keep all your devices plugged into the switch. All the devices would be on the same network, assuming you can set the time capsule to AP mode or turn off the DHCP server in it's settings.

• Netduma Staff

It doesn't have bridge mode as not all the features would work if it did. Try the setup Mod Box posted, that should work :)

There is no way to bridge mode the R1. You could try modem>R1>8 port switch>time capsule. As long as you can move the modem to your bedroom. You'd keep all your devices plugged into the switch. All the devices would be on the same network, assuming you can set the time capsule to AP mode or turn off the DHCP server in it's settings.

unfortunately that won't work.  I have so many devices in my house and many are wired.  Currently I have the time capsule (4 ethernet out)  1 cable to my room to a switch, 1 cable to sons room to a switch, 1 cable to living room switch, 1 cable to switch at time capsule for alarm system and video monitor system.   My room is as described, sons room has switch with ps4, xbox 1 and mac, tivo slave.  Living room has switch with xb1, tivo slave.

the time capsule is capable of 1/100/1000 so I want that to be my main router as its faster.  It also supports dual simaltanous bands of 2.4/5   

So your saying that the netduma can't support a lan-lan setup by giving the netduma a static ip and turning off dhcp?   if thats the case, can it support a lan-wan and basically have the netduma as a second network only for my xb1 and ps4?   If so, how do I set it up?

Also, I am moving end of july and would like to put the netduma in main room of house plugging directly into the time capsule as its own network.  Then run 4 ethernet cables, 2 to my room for xbox1 and ps4 and 2 to sons room for xbox 1 and ps4.  then have the time capsule handle all other networking in the house.  Will this work, or will I have nat issues because of 2 xb1 and 2 ps4 on same router?  Right now we have 3 xb1, 2 ps4 and xbox360 in house all with open nat and I don't want to screw those up.  Xbox 360 will be replaced with a ps4 this summer.

Lastly, if I don't connect my mac to the netduma network, how would I connect to the server to make geofilter changes?

Sorry for all questions, but I'm a 45 year old dad who doesn't know a whole lot about networking

• Netduma Staff

@umpmanjoe - I'll answer your questions in the order you asked them :)

1) Yes, you could have the Netduma as a secondary network for just the consoles. All you need to do is have one plug going from your original router to port 1 of the Netduma and then plug the consoles into the Netduma. To set everything up, you'll need to have a PC connected to the LAN side of the Netduma but you can switch on access from WAN which will allow you to connect to it when on the other network.

2) You should be able to do that on not have NAT issues. Just don't do any port forwarding and let UPnP do all the work and there shouldn't be any issues with NAT as long as the Netduma in in DMZ.

3) You can follow these instructions to access the Netduma from the WAN side :)

Hope that helps - if you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

@umpmanjoe - I'll answer your questions in the order you asked them :)

1) Yes, you could have the Netduma as a secondary network for just the consoles. All you need to do is have one plug going from your original router to port 1 of the Netduma and then plug the consoles into the Netduma. To set everything up, you'll need to have a PC connected to the LAN side of the Netduma but you can switch on access from WAN which will allow you to connect to it when on the other network.

2) You should be able to do that on not have NAT issues. Just don't do any port forwarding and let UPnP do all the work and there shouldn't be any issues with NAT as long as the Netduma in in DMZ.

3) You can follow these instructions to access the Netduma from the WAN side :)

Hope that helps - if you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

So if I have the access from wan setting on, I just go to another computer thats on the other network and type in http://192.168.88.1 and it will still access the netduma/

I have no idea what a DMZ is, how do you do that

• Netduma Staff

So if I have the access from wan setting on, I just go to another computer thats on the other network and type in http://192.168.88.1 and it will still access the netduma/

I have no idea what a DMZ is, how do you do that

No you will need to use the address that can be found in Device manager. It is the number after 'WAN IP'. You can type that number into a browser on the other network and it should work :)

There are instructions here on how to DMZ.

• 10 months later...

Hi. my setup is Modem > Airport Extreme > Network switch > Duma > PS4. I need the Airport Extreme to control everything except for the gaming console so I can't put the R1 behind it. I had it setup that way and it kept messing with my bandwidth and Verizon WiFi calling so it is this way or nothing. I know this will limit me to host filtering only but that's fine. 

I put the R1 into the Airport DMZ but I can't connect to the R1 at all to manage. Not sure what is blocking it as I can see it on my LAN. Please help. What could be blocking my connection from the router?

UPDATE - I enabled WAN access and that works for me!

Archived