R2 Bogged down?

CRarsenxL

I have my XR1000 in AP Mode.

i don’t use QoS 

Besides my pc, I have all my other devices connected to the xr1000.

Ive noticed my bullet reg feels like trash a lot of the time now. I’ve done numerous buffer test and it’s not anytning QoS related. 

is it possible that the r2 cannot handle 25 devices?

• Administrators

So the setup is modem > R2 > XR1000 (AP)? I don't think that would be a significant factor unless System Information is showing very high CPU usage constantly for example, I suspect that if it's a recent thing that more people are jumping online in preparation for the CoD beta and the servers may be under more stress, try forcing different servers even if they're slightly higher ping and see if they perform any better.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So the setup is modem > R2 > XR1000 (AP)? I don't think that would be a significant factor unless System Information is showing very high CPU usage constantly for example, I suspect that if it's a recent thing that more people are jumping online in preparation for the CoD beta and the servers may be under more stress, try forcing different servers even if they're slightly higher ping and see if they perform any better.

yes that’s my setup.

No it’s not servers,  it’s just something I’m noticing.

i switched to a basic netgear router and tested and the reg was a lot better. So it’s something w the R2. How much does CPU matter?

• Administrators

Best way to tell if it is getting bogged down would be to give it a reboot, wait 2 minutes then play, if you notice a difference then that could be it. Doing a bufferbloat test won't necessarily always indicate whether you need to apply QoS or not, a single download will saturate your connection, any devices using the internet while gaming will create a network queue and QoS will help stop both of those things happening so I would recommend you use it and see if you notice an improvement.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Best way to tell if it is getting bogged down would be to give it a reboot, wait 2 minutes then play, if you notice a difference then that could be it. Doing a bufferbloat test won't necessarily always indicate whether you need to apply QoS or not, a single download will saturate your connection, any devices using the internet while gaming will create a network queue and QoS will help stop both of those things happening so I would recommend you use it and see if you notice an improvement.

Would bufferbloat be useful without traffic prio? Or vice versa?

• Administrators

Congestion Control is the main feature that would prevent local congestion causing you to lag, Traffic Prioritization helps to keep your ping stable and free from spikes/jitter so I would recommend using them both but absolutely experiment with it and find what works best for you. Every connection is different so there is no one way it has to be used to reap the benefits.

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Congestion Control is the main feature that would prevent local congestion causing you to lag, Traffic Prioritization helps to keep your ping stable and free from spikes/jitter so I would recommend using them both but absolutely experiment with it and find what works best for you. Every connection is different so there is no one way it has to be used to reap the benefits.

What are you’re thoughts on this?

QoS is Off but traffic prio is still on and counting packets. Any benefits to this? I can see how it would help higher speed lines but not sure if it’s a glitch or something

10 hours ago, CRarsenxL said:

What are you’re thoughts on this?

QoS is Off but traffic prio is still on and counting packets. Any benefits to this? I can see how it would help higher speed lines but not sure if it’s a glitch or something

We'd need to monitor the backend of DumaOS and verify whether or not this traffic is actually being prioritised, or if it's just a front-end bug. Without Congestion Control, the effects of prioritising traffic would likely be greatly reduced, so I don't see any immediate reason to configure this way.