xr1000 nothing but problems

ever since getting this router a couple years ago ive had nothing but problems. qos doesnt limit my upload speeds. no matter what configuration i use. i dont use pppoe, no vlan tag, no ipv6. ive read so many forums regarding issues on these dumaos routers and people are always being told to factory reset, downgrade, erase all current settings but the problems are never ending. i already have to factory reset whenever the gui decides to throw random error messages that dont go away on their own. whats disappointing is the router was never stable to begin with and when youre lucky enough to get a firmware update in about a year or so some problems arent fixed and new ones arise. its confusing when you make such a fancy router but nothing works even after updates, and a lot of threads people are saying to setup the router completely different than what its intended to do. like for example. if "dumaos classified games" doesnt work, why is it not taking off or fixed in a more recent firmware? why do i need to change my desktop from computer to games console on geo filter or in device manager? why is there a qos slider on the top page but then for it to maybe work, you have to disable "share excess" and fiddle with the flower? why call it qos if its boiled down to a bandwidth limiter that doesnt even limit bandwidth like its supposed to. you still get bufferbloat if it even works because its not queueing any packets its just limiting so the bloat is still there. ive only bought netgear routers but after having this dumaos and trying everything to make it work right just leaves me to think this was a huge fail of a "gaming" router. i think anyone whos had problems and anyone trying to solve these issues could agree. i had a friend who setup some custom firmware on an old netgear router and the bufferbloat and everything else worked fine. i dont get how people who make custom firmwares for routers have way more updates and more stable features that actually work as intended than the actual manufacturers of the router. waited a whole year for a new firmware (1.0.0.64) after seeing forums with problems everywhere dating a year and a half ago and saying itll be fixed by next firmware without a date. then this new firmware finally arrives and all thats added was adblocker, DoH and "some security vulnerability fixes". 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having issues, what is the modem/router the XR is plugged into and are ALL devices connected to the XR? 

Do you have Armor enabled? Can you provide a screenshot of your QoS page please?

This is how i fixed the problem's with my xr 1000 . i  got the r2 instead solved all my problem's will not go back to the xr1000 i cant tell u the headaches it gave me.For some reason the r2 worked better

modem is a cable modem CODA-4582-RES. all devices are connected to the XR with modem in bridged mode. ive tried unbridged and bridged. no difference except i rather use the XR as a router and not have double nat issues. no armour enabled. ive most likely read any thing to fix this router but i dont think anything could fix it. would just be nice to know why theres no update to the things i mentioned and why it takes a year to roll out a firmware that doesnt fix things that been broken since release? i bought this router for 350$ to fix the bad bufferbloat i get from cable internet 350mbps download and 10mbps upload but auto setup or messing around with the advanced features like target vs idle or max pike size yields the same results. i thought the qos would use some sort of queue management like sqm, fq-codel, cake because some older and cheaper routers have these and open firmware for routers implement this for free. just confused why a gaming router that costs this much doesnt have these things implemented since qos is to negate bufferbloat. a simple bandwidth limiter doesnt do much of anything for bufferbloat. 

QOS 1.PNG

QOS 2.PNG

benchmark.PNG

• Administrators

Where are you testing whether it has limited your upload specifically? It does use a common algorithm and one of our own as well, it definitely does work for bufferbloat - it's not working for you currently which is why you're not seeing that effect. 

i use speedtest, waveform, dslreports. mainly speedtest to see if it caps. the issue is just the handful of bugs and having to erase all settings, or reset the qos settings then it works for awhile. and for a powerful enough router such as this, there should be sqm or fq codel or even cake as theyre backed up by many users to work wonders with bufferbloat and the extra tweaking wouldve been nice. i have an old router that i used to use with open firmware on it that used fq codel or cake and it worked good - was able to get a+ for bufferbloat finding the right settings. then i saw this router and at the time it was a huge deal. i saw the qos and all the cool features and thought it should work really well being newer and stronger of a router but it wouldve been nice to have options for queuing through codel or cake since your proprietary algorithm might not work well for all connections and from reading through different threads this statement seems true. wouldve been better than to have one and trying to troubleshoot problems that might just be within netdumas algorithm that cant be changed. no matter what i do for qos, even if it manages to cap speeds where i want them, it does not do anything for bufferbloat, cant get above b or c rating. ill be the only person on, using an ethernet and jitter still happens every now and then in a game. i also never go below 30 ping for average ping on the benchmark but that might just be a routing thing with my isp.

the main thing is just 350$ for a router with many bugs that dont get fixed and updates that take up to a year or longer and limiting functionalities on qos. not trying to tear you guys down here, but for that money and calling it a gaming router, wifi 6, etc with all these things i mentioned just doesnt make sense to me. an old, normal use router with 2 antennas could have fq codel or more things to tweak that might work better than what this router is advertised to do and for quite a bit lower price

8 hours ago, mocha said:

i use speedtest, waveform, dslreports. mainly speedtest to see if it caps. the issue is just the handful of bugs and having to erase all settings, or reset the qos settings then it works for awhile. and for a powerful enough router such as this, there should be sqm or fq codel or even cake as theyre backed up by many users to work wonders with bufferbloat and the extra tweaking wouldve been nice. i have an old router that i used to use with open firmware on it that used fq codel or cake and it worked good - was able to get a+ for bufferbloat finding the right settings. then i saw this router and at the time it was a huge deal. i saw the qos and all the cool features and thought it should work really well being newer and stronger of a router but it wouldve been nice to have options for queuing through codel or cake since your proprietary algorithm might not work well for all connections and from reading through different threads this statement seems true. wouldve been better than to have one and trying to troubleshoot problems that might just be within netdumas algorithm that cant be changed. no matter what i do for qos, even if it manages to cap speeds where i want them, it does not do anything for bufferbloat, cant get above b or c rating. ill be the only person on, using an ethernet and jitter still happens every now and then in a game. i also never go below 30 ping for average ping on the benchmark but that might just be a routing thing with my isp.

the main thing is just 350$ for a router with many bugs that dont get fixed and updates that take up to a year or longer and limiting functionalities on qos. not trying to tear you guys down here, but for that money and calling it a gaming router, wifi 6, etc with all these things i mentioned just doesnt make sense to me. an old, normal use router with 2 antennas could have fq codel or more things to tweak that might work better than what this router is advertised to do and for quite a bit lower price

Your base ping is quite high, are all devices on the network connected to the XR or do some still connect to something else upstream?

What games are you playing exactly? Your Traffic Prio rules have prioritised no traffic, so that would also be why you're not seeing any improvement in-game. Are you playing on PC? Is your PC's device type set to a games console in Device Manager or have you kept it set to a Computer?

i think my base ping is just bad isp routing because any game i play my best ping or closest server i never get below 32 ping. as for devices, all of my devices are connected to the XR with modem in bridge mode. i play valorant, call of duty, csgo, overwatch and some others. the traffic prioritization works, it was just at 0 in the screenshot because i restarted router and hadnt played a game yet. pc is set as computer in device manager but ive also tried to set it as a games console but dont notice a difference. traffic still prioritizes the same. its just the router having buggy firmware and having to reset at times and the qos doesnt minimize my bufferbloat how id like it. whether i set 50%, 60%, 75%, 80%, 90% or use auto setup to cap speeds it just doesnt do anything for ping with load. ill still get the ping spikes on bufferbloat tests no matter what my speeds are. i think its just an issue with the routers qos algorithm not doing a good job for the internet i have. 

is adding queuing options something netduma would consider adding in future updates? it would be nice to have extra things in qos to minimize ping times correctly. i think it would be a great gaming router if qos worked right. its mainly why i bought this router. i always found netgear to have good routers for gaming and thought the qos would have some advanced way of queuing packets under load but it doesnt do much for my connection.

On 7/18/2022 at 8:42 PM, mocha said:

ever since getting this router a couple years ago ive had nothing but problems. qos doesnt limit my upload speeds. no matter what configuration i use. i dont use pppoe, no vlan tag, no ipv6. ive read so many forums regarding issues on these dumaos routers and people are always being told to factory reset, downgrade, erase all current settings but the problems are never ending. i already have to factory reset whenever the gui decides to throw random error messages that dont go away on their own. whats disappointing is the router was never stable to begin with and when youre lucky enough to get a firmware update in about a year or so some problems arent fixed and new ones arise. its confusing when you make such a fancy router but nothing works even after updates, and a lot of threads people are saying to setup the router completely different than what its intended to do. like for example. if "dumaos classified games" doesnt work, why is it not taking off or fixed in a more recent firmware? why do i need to change my desktop from computer to games console on geo filter or in device manager? why is there a qos slider on the top page but then for it to maybe work, you have to disable "share excess" and fiddle with the flower? why call it qos if its boiled down to a bandwidth limiter that doesnt even limit bandwidth like its supposed to. you still get bufferbloat if it even works because its not queueing any packets its just limiting so the bloat is still there. ive only bought netgear routers but after having this dumaos and trying everything to make it work right just leaves me to think this was a huge fail of a "gaming" router. i think anyone whos had problems and anyone trying to solve these issues could agree. i had a friend who setup some custom firmware on an old netgear router and the bufferbloat and everything else worked fine. i dont get how people who make custom firmwares for routers have way more updates and more stable features that actually work as intended than the actual manufacturers of the router. waited a whole year for a new firmware (1.0.0.64) after seeing forums with problems everywhere dating a year and a half ago and saying itll be fixed by next firmware without a date. then this new firmware finally arrives and all thats added was adblocker, DoH and "some security vulnerability fixes". 

I didn't read the rest of the posts so forgive me if I am off the mark.

I have exactly the same issue with the XR1000. The problem for me is that the adaptive qos ( bufferbloat ) does not work for uploads with my internet provider because they use pppoe. You can tell if yours is the same, you have had to put in a username and password in to the XR1000 to access the internet. Firstly, if that is the case, then you may be able to solve the problem by entering the username and password in the modem instead. If this is not your problem then alas I have no idea. I have tested adaptive qos without pppoe and it works just fine on both uploads and downloads. If it is not pppoe for you then we need more info so we can do some checking. When you check, by the way, you are switching detection to "all the time"?

Many of the comments you read on the internet are probably for the older DumaOS 2. I had and still have a DumOS 2 router and it's less use than a door stop ( it's too light to be a good door stop ) simply because it doesn't actually recognise any games and has more bugs than the Amazon jungle. But DumaOS 3, in the XR1000, is a lot better ( I am waiting for an update for that router as well ). My only real problem with the XR1000 is the pppoe issue.

I do agree that Netduma and Netgear are slow. I don't know much about the situation but it seems to me that the guy who does Merlin for Asus had a much better idea of just supporting one manufacturer of chipsets. He turns software around for a dozen routers all at the same time, but other chipsets he can't and won't support. Sorry Netduma but it's true ( *awaits being told off* ).

Oh and yes, unlike other routers you absolutely must power cycle it once you have finished making changes and completely reset it after a firmware update. I am not sure what the point of the auto update option is since you need to fully reset it after an update! Yes, it's a real pain, but alas there are some parts of the data that are not cleared by a reset. Bad version management but there you are. Not the end of the world.

I bought an XR500 and sent it back it was so bad but three years later I bought an XR1000 and then picked up a cheap XR700 for backup. The thing is that yes sure they do have some issues but there is no other manufacturer that offers the features that are available in these routers. The XR1000 is good. Unfortunately you fell in a hole with it, but I am confident that it will get fixed shortly.

10 hours ago, mocha said:

i think my base ping is just bad isp routing because any game i play my best ping or closest server i never get below 32 ping. as for devices, all of my devices are connected to the XR with modem in bridge mode. i play valorant, call of duty, csgo, overwatch and some others. the traffic prioritization works, it was just at 0 in the screenshot because i restarted router and hadnt played a game yet. pc is set as computer in device manager but ive also tried to set it as a games console but dont notice a difference. traffic still prioritizes the same. its just the router having buggy firmware and having to reset at times and the qos doesnt minimize my bufferbloat how id like it. whether i set 50%, 60%, 75%, 80%, 90% or use auto setup to cap speeds it just doesnt do anything for ping with load. ill still get the ping spikes on bufferbloat tests no matter what my speeds are. i think its just an issue with the routers qos algorithm not doing a good job for the internet i have. 

is adding queuing options something netduma would consider adding in future updates? it would be nice to have extra things in qos to minimize ping times correctly. i think it would be a great gaming router if qos worked right. its mainly why i bought this router. i always found netgear to have good routers for gaming and thought the qos would have some advanced way of queuing packets under load but it doesnt do much for my connection.

How much traffic are the Traffic Prio rules actually detecting? Can you play a game and send an updated screenshot?

We did in the past have the option for the user to pick between two different algorithms, but it was quickly rendered redundant with updates. If we do find that the current solution isn't working well enough, of course it's something we're happy to work on/add.