Netduma R2 Packet loss and Ping spikes Wired and WiFi

morph1kx

Hello. Since my R2 replacement i constantly get packet loss and ping spikes in various games (COD BF5 Fortnite Apex Legends).I get packet loss either with Lan or Wifi.
Multiplayer games are almost unplayable because of disconnects. At first i tought its game servers or my ISP.Hovewer there are things i tried already:
Ethernet cable replacement
Updated Firmware
Different LAN Cable
Disabled IPv6
Adjusted QoS sliders from 10 to 100, Disabled QoS
Different Multiplayer games
Disabled Geofilter
Sync Cloud

Multiple factory resets
Changed WiFi settings to different channels (Automatic too)
Manual Dns settings in R2 and in Game consoles (happening in ps4 and xbox sereies x)
Disabled Protection
Nothing helped, till i tried different router (TP Link).And i realized - this problem is happening only with R2. 2 different routers that i tested,dont have problems with packet loss and ping spikes.Everything is stable even withous QoS

My firmware is 3.2.453 (This problem started with stock 3.0.207i firmware. Basically when i got my R2 replacement.)
My speeds from ISP is Fiber 1000/1000 .In reality 800-900/850-900.

I dont know what to do next. Please help me with this problem...

Edited by morph1kx

Just to clarify, have you reset since the upgrade to the latest firmware version? If not, could you please do so.

Can you also answer a few questions for us:

• Are ALL devices on the network connected via the R2?
  • Have you got any custom rules configured in Traffic Prioritisation? If so could you please share them?
  • If not, is the DumaOS classified games rule detecting traffic while you're playing? This is indicated by a red light on the rule, and the packet counters increasing.
  • What's the make and model of your modem?

30 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Just to clarify, have you reset since the upgrade to the latest firmware version? If not, could you please do so.

Can you also answer a few questions for us:

• Are ALL devices on the network connected via the R2?
  • Have you got any custom rules configured in Traffic Prioritisation? If so could you please share them?
  • If not, is the DumaOS classified games rule detecting traffic while you're playing? This is indicated by a red light on the rule, and the packet counters increasing.
  • What's the make and model of your modem?

Hello.Yes, i factory reset R2 after firmware version(3-4 times)

1.Yes all devices connected to R2, i also tried reset and connect only 1 device (Xbox).

2.No custom rules right now, i tried to add game console but no improvements.

3.Yes,DumaOS detecting traffic from game console and classified games.

4.I dont have acces to modem or any information about model(so i cant access modem interface).I think it is pure modem.

Also as far as  i know this is happening with replacement.When i had my first R2 there was not any packet loss and ping spikes

Thanks for that, could you please disable the DumaOS classified games rule, then add a new one.

In the new rule, select your games console as the device and 'Games Console' as the service when prompted.

After that, set Congestion Control low, down to about 40% maybe. Then set it to always. After doing this, click 'Reset allocation' on Bandwidth allocation just to be safe.

Then, play some games and see how it feels.

A couple of follow up questions:

• Do you know if you require PPPoE, VLAN or DHCP identifiers to get a connection to the internet?
  • Are you using Geo-filter? If so could you share your configuration with us?

5 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for that, could you please disable the DumaOS classified games rule, then add a new one.

In the new rule, select your games console as the device and 'Games Console' as the service when prompted.

After that, set Congestion Control low, down to about 40% maybe. Then set it to always. After doing this, click 'Reset allocation' on Bandwidth allocation just to be safe.

Then, play some games and see how it feels.

A couple of follow up questions:

• Do you know if you require PPPoE, VLAN or DHCP identifiers to get a connection to the internet?
  • Are you using Geo-filter? If so could you share your configuration with us?

1.Automatic DHCP i think.I dont need to put something manually

2.My geofilter settings below. I also tried Ocean method with ping assist and disabling geofilter

I will try QoS 40 percent with game console prioritization

Geofilter.png

Geofilter2.png

24 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That looks all good there, let us know how you get on with those QoS settings, also where are you measuring/seeing the packet loss and spikes?

In cod, when gameplay stutter i check ping in game and from 30-40 it up to 110-200 for a second. Also game detect packet loss.In BFV my ping goes from 30-33 to 70-80 and if i enable net graph i can see big ammount of jitter. It feels like constant disconnection for half a second.Also i tried bufferbloat test from waveform (tested on xbox) and my download bufferbloat very low with any amount of QoS.However upload bufferbloat sometimes show in 200-300ms range with jitter 300-1000.With other routers i have Grade A with low jitter.With my R2 i struggle to get even B. For examle with TP-Link (without any QoS enabled)  i dont get so ammount of spikes and high ping on bufferbloat test.

Still testing your QoS recommendations...

• Administrators

I'd suggest using this guide and while saturating your connection with downloads/streams experiment with different percentages and see what brings it down the most http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'd suggest using this guide and while saturating your connection with downloads/streams experiment with different percentages and see what brings it down the most http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

I dont think QoS settings are helping.I still get ocasional packet loss and ping spikes.Even when playing wired.Wireless gaming expirenece is terrible .

14 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What are the results like from PingPlotter? What percentages have you tried?

I have tried qos sliders from 5 to 100. Ping spikes and packet loss happening even on 5 percent qos setup.Wired or wireless.

qos1.png

qos2.png

qos3.png

2 hours ago, morph1kx said:

I have tried qos sliders from 5 to 100. Ping spikes and packet loss happening even on 5 percent qos setup.Wired or wireless.

In general, the results look pretty good as far as I can tell.

Were these tests run while saturating the connection as Fraser mentioned? I'll link the guide below again for convenience.

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

55 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

In general, the results look pretty good as far as I can tell.

Were these tests run while saturating the connection as Fraser mentioned? I'll link the guide below again for convenience.

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

Here tests when i saturated as much as possible

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

• Administrators

There will be a percentage that works best for you, you also don't have to have download & upload at the same percentage, they can differ. To clarify, you've tried every 1% between 5 & 100%?

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

There will be a percentage that works best for you, you also don't have to have download & upload at the same percentage, they can differ. To clarify, you've tried every 1% between 5 & 100%?

I need to try every value and combination?

I tried various combinations including different upload and download.but no, not every possible value

• Administrators

You don't have to try every percentage specifically but identify a value at a 10% interval that seems to stabilize it the most, then try 5% either side, if there is still room for improvement try 4% either side and so on until you land on the best value. 

With another router without QoS but the connection is saturated you don't get any lag whatsoever?

35 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You don't have to try every percentage specifically but identify a value at a 10% interval that seems to stabilize it the most, then try 5% either side, if there is still room for improvement try 4% either side and so on until you land on the best value. 

With another router without QoS but the connection is saturated you don't get any lag whatsoever?

I have tested 2 other routers and none of them  have this problems.Even when saturated my gaming is smooth,sometimes my ping flactuate by 1-2 ms but only when playing wireless.I dont have that packet loss and ping spikes ever.

By the way my first netduma R2 was smooth too(wired definetly).Its only started with my second unit of R2

• Administrators

That's very peculiar, given saturating your connection would mean there is literally no space for gaming traffic to be consistent, do you see the ping fluctuate on the Geo-Filter when it fluctuates in game?

34 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's very peculiar, given saturating your connection would mean there is literally no space for gaming traffic to be consistent, do you see the ping fluctuate on the Geo-Filter when it fluctuates in game?

I will check 

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2022 at 6:44 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I dont get ping spikes in geo filter. But my wifi speeds are dropping to 10mbps and lower.With wired i get occasional stutters and ping spikes

Maybe we're dealing with some Wireless contention here. Could you try downloading a Wi-Fi Analyser (there's one on the Microsoft store called Wi-Fi Analyser) and run a couple tests. Find which channels are least congested and switch your Wi-Fi on the R2 to use those. I know you mentioned you'd experimented with some different ones, but this test actually tells us which are the best to use.

Now the R2 is back in the network, you've currently got ALL devices connected to it again, is that right?

Have you still got the Traffic Prioritisation rule we added for your games console, and you're still seeing occasional stutters and ping spikes with this?

Is this occuring when the network is very busy (downloads, updates, etc) or do you get this regardless of how busy the network is?

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2022 at 4:44 PM, Netduma Liam said:

Maybe we're dealing with some Wireless contention here. Could you try downloading a Wi-Fi Analyser (there's one on the Microsoft store called Wi-Fi Analyser) and run a couple tests. Find which channels are least congested and switch your Wi-Fi on the R2 to use those. I know you mentioned you'd experimented with some different ones, but this test actually tells us which are the best to use.

Now the R2 is back in the network, you've currently got ALL devices connected to it again, is that right?

Have you still got the Traffic Prioritisation rule we added for your games console, and you're still seeing occasional stutters and ping spikes with this?

Is this occuring when the network is very busy (downloads, updates, etc) or do you get this regardless of how busy the network is?

Hello again.Sorry for the long wait, i was very frustrated with my problem and used another basic router. When i was informed about changes in dumaos, I Installed latest beta firmware + cloud update (for dpi changes). Now web surfing  a lot smoother and most important - no ping spikes in games (at least online games are playable now) . I tried wired and wireless gaming. By the way i did factory reset after update ,but settings the same what i always use.

I really hope this is not temporary changes and i can play games without problems. I will inform you if the problem reappear