XR300 Disconnects from games every 2 hours exactly

Hi, 

I've been having this issue for a LONG time, I've seen multiple posts about it on the Netgear Forums but never getting to a resolution because the original poster usually stops replying.
I have an XR300 and from launching CoD games I will get a disconnected from server message exactly 2 hours later. This happens in MW19, Warzone, Cold War and Vanguard.
I have disabled geo-filtering and all QoS options. I've tried setting my IP on my device to a static IP outside of the DHCP scope. Going back to factory defaults etc.
I've even moved to a different apartment and gotten a different ISP and it still happens. If I bypass the XR300 or use a different router I can be connected for over 2 hours.

It's not just limited to games, other things that require a constant connection will also disconnect such as if I'm in a twitch stream for two hours the chat will disconnect and I need to refresh the stream. Other people listing these issues online seem to either have the XR300 or another Nighthawk variant.

Call of Duty  Vanguard Screenshot 2022.05.10 - 21.11.58.12.png

When it disconnects, do all devices disconnect from the internet entirely? Or is it just losing connection from the game server/service you're using at the time?

How do you fix the issue? Does it resolve itself or do you need to manually intervene in some way to restore functionality?

6 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

When it disconnects, do all devices disconnect from the internet entirely? Or is it just losing connection from the game server/service you're using at the time?

How do you fix the issue? Does it resolve itself or do you need to manually intervene in some way to restore functionality?

Just the specific thing that was connected will lose connection. If I'm in a voice call or watching youtube/netflix etc on the same device everything is still running. I can run a constant packet trace at the time of disconnection and not get any drops.
To fix the issue I have to close the game and re-launch it. When it happens on Twitch I have to refresh the webpage for it to reconnect.

21 hours ago, Kryptical said:

Just the specific thing that was connected will lose connection. If I'm in a voice call or watching youtube/netflix etc on the same device everything is still running. I can run a constant packet trace at the time of disconnection and not get any drops.
To fix the issue I have to close the game and re-launch it. When it happens on Twitch I have to refresh the webpage for it to reconnect.

That's odd, what firmware version are you currently running on the XR300? 

What the make and model of the modem that the XR300 is connected to?

3 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

That's odd, what firmware version are you currently running on the XR300? 

What the make and model of the modem that the XR300 is connected to?

I'm running - 1.0.3.56_10.3.41 on my XR300 but the issue has been persistent across a few iterations of the firmware (Back when XR300 was actively updated)
I'm currently in an apartment connected to a city network with fibre to premises. I don't know if this is the norm or not but my apartment just has a patch panel with a master socket which I connect the XR300 to or I can connect one device directly to.

However I've had the issue when I lived in the UK using an older BT OpenReach Modem. It followed me to my first place in Sweden where I was using Tele2 WiFi Hub C2 set to bridge mode with the XR300 (This was using cable internet over coax). 

• Administrators

Could you reproduce the issue and then grab the logs from the System Information page and tell us the time it happened so we can see if there are any entries there relating to it please?

On 5/12/2022 at 4:30 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you reproduce the issue and then grab the logs from the System Information page and tell us the time it happened so we can see if there are any entries there relating to it please?

I cleared the logs right before I started the game:

Would have been at 10:15 when it disconnected but there isn't anything in the log

[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.10, Saturday, May 14,2022 10:17:19
[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.10, Saturday, May 14,2022 10:17:09
[UPnP set event: Public_UPNP_C3] from source 192.168.1.10, Saturday, May 14,2022 10:17:04
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Saturday, May 14,2022 10:00:28
[Internet connected] IP address: 92.33.250.91, Saturday, May 14,2022 09:58:38
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.11)] to MAC address 18:31:BF:52:F0:11, Saturday, May 14,2022 09:19:44
[LAN access from remote] from 77.102.14.220:3074 to 192.168.1.10:3074, Saturday, May 14,2022 09:08:19
[LAN access from remote] from 84.192.221.126:3074 to 192.168.1.10:3074, Saturday, May 14,2022 09:08:04
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.8)] to MAC address 32:9D:F8:31:6B:A8, Saturday, May 14,2022 09:02:57
[LAN access from remote] from 213.127.28.184:24810 to 192.168.1.10:3074, Saturday, May 14,2022 09:01:00
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.7)] to MAC address 7C:BB:8A:EE:AD:2E, Saturday, May 14,2022 08:51:35
[LAN access from remote] from 213.127.28.184:24810 to 192.168.1.10:3074, Saturday, May 14,2022 08:45:42
[LAN access from remote] from 185.34.107.129:3075 to 192.168.1.10:3074, Saturday, May 14,2022 08:12:33
[UPnP set event: Public_UPNP_C3] from source 192.168.1.10, Saturday, May 14,2022 08:12:30
[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.10, Saturday, May 14,2022 08:08:48
[Log Cleared] Saturday, May 14,2022 08:08:48

• Administrators

That's interesting, that would indicate it's not really on the router side but perhaps there are some things conflicting with the router. On the XR300 in Internet Setup change your DNS to 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 also on the PC make sure that the game/game client is allowed through the Windows firewall, then see if the issue persists.

On 5/14/2022 at 1:27 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

That's interesting, that would indicate it's not really on the router side but perhaps there are some things conflicting with the router. On the XR300 in Internet Setup change your DNS to 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 also on the PC make sure that the game/game client is allowed through the Windows firewall, then see if the issue persists.

Sure, I've set the DNS in advance. I had previously tested with both auto DNS and manually set to 9.9.9.9
I've set to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 and will update when I can test. Unfortunately it takes 2 hours to replicate :(

• Administrators
15 hours ago, silenthunter343 said:

I have the same exact issue I had to resort to access point mode until the firmware update.

Try the above suggestions and see if that helps at all!

On 5/14/2022 at 1:27 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

No disconnections on those DNS entries. Really odd as I've tried multiple different DNS settings.

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Kryptical said:

No disconnections on those DNS entries. Really odd as I've tried multiple different DNS settings.

That's really great to hear! Cloudflare are very reliable so that may have something to do with it!

On 5/17/2022 at 9:55 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

That's really great to hear! Cloudflare are very reliable so that may have something to do with it!

Spoke to soon, same issue again at the 2 hour mark today.
I'm not sure what happened when I tested yesterday but I might have mistimed.

Edit: I checked back through the successful day and realised a playlist update in game forced a reconnect during the 2 hour window.

I went through the logs from last night and it's similar to the original logs posted.

15 hours ago, Kryptical said:

Spoke to soon, same issue again at the 2 hour mark today.
I'm not sure what happened when I tested yesterday but I might have mistimed.

Edit: I checked back through the successful day and realised a playlist update in game forced a reconnect during the 2 hour window.

I went through the logs from last night and it's similar to the original logs posted.

I see, thanks for updating us.

How are you launching the game? Through Battle.net? Have you tried switching to a different region when booting the game? Just a passing thought.

Do you have any NAT issues in game at all? 

On 5/19/2022 at 12:13 PM, Netduma Liam said:

I see, thanks for updating us.

How are you launching the game? Through Battle.net? Have you tried switching to a different region when booting the game? Just a passing thought.

Do you have any NAT issues in game at all? 

Launching direct through battle.net
I hadn't tried doing a different region in the launcher but I've tested switching to NA and it's the same.
No NAT issues, I'm always set to open. As an extra to this I've tried it with manually forwarding all ports. (Currently my router is set to factory defaults aside from the above DNS changes)

I've been looking for more posts specific to this and tried a good amount of the steps in:
Re: XR300 Disconnects every 2 hours - NETGEAR Communities
XR300 Disconnected from Warzone servers every 2 hours - DumaOS on NETGEAR Nighthawk Support - Netduma Forum

EDIT:
Trying to find additional information based on specific 2 hour kicks and I found this, which is not CoD but WoW apart of Blizz/Acti
Disconnecting every 2 hours? : wow (reddit.com)

Although not an XR300 he does have a Netgear router. Any other references to specific 2 hour disconnections that I can find seem to only be linked to Netgear routers.

• Administrators

Thanks for the links, the last one two things were mentioned, DHCP and the clock. Does the time on the System Information page match with your time zone?

For DHCP try this:

In LAN Setting, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

On 5/20/2022 at 4:41 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for the links, the last one two things were mentioned, DHCP and the clock. Does the time on the System Information page match with your time zone?

For DHCP try this:

In LAN Setting, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

Clock might be something, it's currently showing as May 7th and then 2 hours behind so it's off. Looks like it stated it couldn't connect the the Default NETGEAR NTP Server.
I've just manually set it to look at se.pool.ntp.org and it seems to be correct now.

DHCP was my first thought with this as I was thinking it was trying to renew my IP at a specific interval, however I did try changing the scope and setting my static IP outside of the scope before checking here.

I'll give it another test tonight with the clock settings changed

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Kryptical said:

Still the same with accurate clock info :(

Just going back to the links, someone posted a solution that worked for them, did you try it?

Step 1: Close your Blizzard Program/Launcher then proceed to delete the Battle.net folder

Step 2: Load Blizzard program and then log out and close the Blizzard Program 

Step 3: Open Blizzard program and at the login - click the settings and change login region to Asia/America (where ever you are) ...then login!

Step 4: Once logged in, change region inside of blizzard program to Asia/America (if not already on the same)

Step 5: Load Warzone

Once Warzone has loaded switch back to the Blizzard Program and log out. Then close the Blizzard program while Warzone is running.

Go back to Warzone and Enjoy without being disconnected. 

20 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Just going back to the links, someone posted a solution that worked for them, did you try it?

Step 1: Close your Blizzard Program/Launcher then proceed to delete the Battle.net folder

Step 2: Load Blizzard program and then log out and close the Blizzard Program 

Step 3: Open Blizzard program and at the login - click the settings and change login region to Asia/America (where ever you are) ...then login!

Step 4: Once logged in, change region inside of blizzard program to Asia/America (if not already on the same)

Step 5: Load Warzone

Once Warzone has loaded switch back to the Blizzard Program and log out. Then close the Blizzard program while Warzone is running.

Go back to Warzone and Enjoy without being disconnected. 

Hmm I'll be honest, a lot of that doesn't make sense. Deleting the Battle.Net folder fully removes the game launcher from the PC.
I have done step one and re-installed, the rest of the steps also don't make to much sense.

The battle net launcher does run in the background and can effect your game if you sign out of the launcher it can kick you.
There is an option to fully close the launcher and any processes after launching a game which I can try.

13 minutes ago, Kryptical said:

Hmm I'll be honest, a lot of that doesn't make sense. Deleting the Battle.Net folder fully removes the game launcher from the PC.
I have done step one and re-installed, the rest of the steps also don't make to much sense.

The battle net launcher does run in the background and can effect your game if you sign out of the launcher it can kick you.
There is an option to fully close the launcher and any processes after launching a game which I can try.

OK yeah if you could please give that a go and let us know how you get on with it.

• Administrators

Would it be possible to contact Activision/Blizzard support about this issue and see what they say? If like the links suggest it happens on Netgear routers then they may be aware of some incompatibility that we could then disable or going forward look at rectifying 

20 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Would it be possible to contact Activision/Blizzard support about this issue and see what they say? If like the links suggest it happens on Netgear routers then they may be aware of some incompatibility that we could then disable or going forward look at rectifying 

Honestly trying to speak to their support about anything networking related is like slamming your head against a wall.
I'd rather just buy a new router

I know you probably can't give to much info but is their any new ETA on a V3 beta for the XR300?
I've had a few issues with the router that I've just been waiting to see if it will be resolved but It's been a long time.

If there's still not an eta I think I'll just go for something else.