Adds, tracking and data collection

I noticed with interest the Addblock in the latest XR1000 and wondered if you could do additional lists to block such things as data collection and ( I am not sure whether it includes this or not ) but tracking too. Personally I get very annoyed at data collection and in passing it's one of the reasons I won't touch a Asus router any more! Have you seen those things recently? You do anything and you have to agree to give all your browsing information to third party companies.   It just annoys me that data collection is pretty much forced on us these days whether we want it or not, and one of the things that is a definite selling point for a product is no data collection and even better - the ability to block data collection.

• Administrators

I think data protection is more covered by cookies so you either accept or don't, if you go on a site and don't accept they usually still let you browse. Plus you could setup your browser to clear cookies once you've closed a tab which would prevent them tracking you around the internet to sell the data they collect. 

We do have tracking blocked in the list we provided. You can make your own lists as well, there are some Adblocker lists online which you should be able to essentially add in to the Adblocker feature.

On 4/10/2022 at 5:33 AM, Harley said:

I noticed with interest the Addblock in the latest XR1000 and wondered if you could do additional lists to block such things as data collection and ( I am not sure whether it includes this or not ) but tracking too. Personally I get very annoyed at data collection and in passing it's one of the reasons I won't touch a Asus router any more! Have you seen those things recently? You do anything and you have to agree to give all your browsing information to third party companies.   It just annoys me that data collection is pretty much forced on us these days whether we want it or not, and one of the things that is a definite selling point for a product is no data collection and even better - the ability to block data collection.

Use a VPN then lol! Obviously you can go deeper than that but a vpn should be bare minimum if you ask me.. 

3 hours ago, zman1156 said:

Use a VPN then lol! Obviously you can go deeper than that but a vpn should be bare minimum if you ask me.. 

I do use a VPN on some of the PC's I have,  but by themselves they aren't much use. They hide your IP but they don't stop tracking or data collection.

I don't use a VPN on my gaming PC and nor would I want to,  which is why I was interested to see what else the router could block. Obviously it can't block anything behind the VPN but it can still block stuff for the gaming PC.

4 hours ago, Harley said:

I do use a VPN on some of the PC's I have,  but by themselves they aren't much use. They hide your IP but they don't stop tracking or data collection.

I don't use a VPN on my gaming PC and nor would I want to,  which is why I was interested to see what else the router could block. Obviously it can't block anything behind the VPN but it can still block stuff for the gaming PC.

You can still use a vpn while gaming without it affecting the game thats what the hybrid vpn is for... Works with any game.. Also i said for a start.. use google at your discretion :) 

17 hours ago, zman1156 said:

You can still use a vpn while gaming without it affecting the game thats what the hybrid vpn is for... Works with any game.. Also i said for a start.. use google at your discretion :) 

I don't have a hybrid to use (its not in the XR1000 yet) I don't use google either, lol.

I mean I do take all sorts of measures but it would be easier if some of them where in the router.

Ridiculous isn't it? These companies simply should not be allowed to collect data unless specifically authorised to do so. It's also really crazy since I really do think the information is largely marketing getting over excited. Fact is I don't think Amazon has once predicted anything I was about to buy. It just irks me that they collect all this data without asking.

The traffic controller is handy for this. For example for IoT I have everything in local control via Home Assistant and I use traffic controller to stop any devices sending stuff to the internet.

On 4/13/2022 at 10:18 AM, Harley said:

I don't have a hybrid to use (its not in the XR1000 yet) I don't use google either, lol.

I mean I do take all sorts of measures but it would be easier if some of them where in the router.

Ridiculous isn't it? These companies simply should not be allowed to collect data unless specifically authorised to do so. It's also really crazy since I really do think the information is largely marketing getting over excited. Fact is I don't think Amazon has once predicted anything I was about to buy. It just irks me that they collect all this data without asking.

Consider buying the R2 :) 

On 4/16/2022 at 4:59 AM, zman1156 said:

Consider buying the R2 :) 

I have! The only thing about the R2 is while it's probably the better device software wise, it's not so hot on the hardware. I keep hoping that one day the software might be brought out for more routers. You never know! To me the strange thing is that each product seems to require different software, and this seems odd to me. One reason why the higher level apps should be separated from the lower level operating system on the routers.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Harley said:

I have! The only thing about the R2 is while it's probably the better device software wise, it's not so hot on the hardware. I keep hoping that one day the software might be brought out for more routers. You never know! To me the strange thing is that each product seems to require different software, and this seems odd to me. One reason why the higher level apps should be separated from the lower level operating system on the routers.

The next updates for each platform should bring them more in line with each other!

On 4/17/2022 at 3:15 AM, Harley said:

Pretty sure the hardware on the R2 is better as it is the latest model but Liam or Fraser could confirm that. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, zman1156 said:

Pretty sure the hardware on the R2 is better as it is the latest model but Liam or Fraser could confirm that. 

The XR1000 is definitely the higher end hardware model, the R2 can't really compete with that