Hit Registry/Hit Detection

Kahari

I've been experiencing poor hit detection in Warzone especially when I have a ping of 23-27. I always get melted by people with higher ping (160-200). It makes absolutely no sense! Doesn't matter how many bullets I put into them, or if I shoot first, they always win the gunfight. So I tried going to a server that gives me a ping of over 100 (I tried a UK server) and sure enough I was melting them. It even seemed like I was lagging through their bullets and was able to maneuver to safety while being beamed by them. Anyway I'm trying to find some type of common ground here..I shouldn't have to play on servers outside the country to win more gun fights, but If that's what it takes, so be it I guess. I've been doing research on these forums and have been trying different methods like changing the MTU in WAN settings of my XR500. (Was originally at 1492 and I changed it to 698) Seemed to work at times and then seemed worse at times. I've since changed it back to where I originally had it (1492) and now trying a different method. I did a DNS Server Benchmark and found my original DNS server address for Comcast is extremely SLOW. So I changed the DNS to the faster one in my Network Adapter settings (Ethernet) from my benchmark and it seems like my internet pages load faster and smoother. But for gaming, what should I change in my router settings? Should I change the default IP to the one in my benchmark? Should it be under the WAN or LAN? What are your thoughts because I'd like to test this.

• Administrators

Are any devices being used when you're gaming? If so if you have Congestion Control set to Auto Enable you can get the benefit of QoS while having your full speed when you're not. You may be the victim of lag compensation in your scenario but when you notice the lag at 23-27ms what does the ping in game say? If that is a lot higher then the server is under load and would explain your hit detection.

• Administrators

Would have thought in game would be a lot higher! Where abouts are you located? Really the only settings that will make a specific difference to gameplay are QoS and the Geo-Filter. You've found a way to have better hit detection with the Geo but do try QoS to see if you can get better quality on lower ping

• Administrators

No that won't really make a difference. Traffic Prioritization should be enabled by default but people do like to experiment with prioritizing specific ports, then there is Congestion Control, some people feel like throttling heavily helps sometimes specifically for hit detection.

Use a vpn to increase your ping, or geo fence a server where your ping is at least 60ms.

Low ping in the modern Era means you are at a disadvantage.

Sad and makes no logical sense to design a game, let alone a fps that way but it is what it is.

High Ping is king, just don't have packetloss

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2022 at 12:34 AM, Kpfeil7 said:

I would strongly disagree with you guys. If you look at any relevant streamer or pro they’re trying to get the lowest ping possible. Your movement and aim will be much better with low ping. Hit your shots..

I’ve tested this theory myself so I know high ping seems to put you at a higher advantage. (At least on my internet and server) Like I said earlier in this post, when making my ping higher by playing on a UK server, I was melting people and it felt unfair.. I could take shots to the point of death and still turn on them and win the gunfight. Even when I shoot first and hit first on US servers (especially close range fights) doesn’t matter how many bullets I put in them..9/10 they’re going to win the gunfight.