Small Idea For Bandwidth Allocation

I tend to use Bandwidth Allocation even though it may not really be needed. Just for peace of mind I suppose. But one thing I have noticed with it is that even if it has been manually configured it updates if a new device is connected and gives that device a share of the bandwidth. Thing is that this messes up the allocation if that device was just a guest. What I would like to see is an allocation for guest devices that is used for any new devices if I lock the the allocation. So two new things there really - a lock and a guest.

I would also really like to see something done with bandwidth allocation. With my other routers you can assign devices bandwidth and it's pretty much set and forget, no need to keep readjusting each time a new device connects. You can have full bandwidth on your PC and only allocate bandwidth to what you want which is good.

With the R2 even if the devices are offline, the bandwidth assigned to them is reserved so it's pretty much wasted bandwidth unless you have share excess enabled.. which is something you don't want if you're assigning specific bandwidth to your console like I am.

One thing I've also noticed, whatever my bandwidth assigned changes by itself even though no new devices have connected. Eg I'll assign 1Mbps to my console but next time I check it'll be 1.3. I haven't noticed this with the newest firmware so it might have been fixed.

Yep for me personally I need to keep share excess off and assign my gaming console little bandwidth, otherwise if share excess is on or if my console doesn't have a set amount of bandwidth assigned to it then I have a poor experience gaming. The settings in game will read too much bandwidth and probably penalizes me that way thinking my connection is too good.

I don't believe it's placebo, the different is night and day from when I assign little bandwidth to the console vs full bandwidth. It varies from release to release but in the latest cod, I haven't had a single good game when my console is set to use full bandwidth and share excess is on.

1 hour ago, johnnytran said:

Yep for me personally I need to keep share excess off and assign my gaming console little bandwidth, otherwise if share excess is on or if my console doesn't have a set amount of bandwidth assigned to it then I have a poor experience gaming. The settings in game will read too much bandwidth and probably penalizes me that way thinking my connection is too good.

I don't believe it's placebo, the different is night and day from when I assign little bandwidth to the console vs full bandwidth. It varies from release to release but in the latest cod, I haven't had a single good game when my console is set to use full bandwidth and share excess is on.

Fair enough, appreciate the feedback!

You could experiment with Application mode in Bandwidth Allocation? That way you could allocate a set amount of bandwidth for each application type? That might be a little more 'set and forget'.