R1 router stops working after a day or 2

RobBob

My R1 router seems to have a problem where it will work fine for a day or 2 then just stop working unless I power cycle it. My ps5 loses connection and when I connect laptop via Ethernet I can’t open DumaOS. It’s running the latest firmware. The R1 is connected to my BT hub and my ps5 and laptop connect to it via Ethernet. 

I’ve tried all the ideas in this thread as I think it’s the same problem https://forum.netduma.com/topic/36459-r2-hangs-roughly-once-a-day/#comment-327459

Things I’ve tried:

Set lease time to 168hours

Turned WiFi off

IPv6 turned off

Limited the range of dhcp

Fixed IP of ps5 and laptop outside dhcp range

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, RobBob said:

My R1 router seems to have a problem where it will work fine for a day or 2 then just stop working unless I power cycle it. My ps5 loses connection and when I connect laptop via Ethernet I can’t open DumaOS. It’s running the latest firmware. The R1 is connected to my BT hub and my ps5 and laptop connect to it via Ethernet. 

I’ve tried all the ideas in this thread as I think it’s the same problem https://forum.netduma.com/topic/36459-r2-hangs-roughly-once-a-day/#comment-327459

Things I’ve tried:

Set lease time to 168hours

Turned WiFi off

IPv6 turned off

Limited the range of dhcp

Fixed IP of ps5 and laptop outside dhcp range

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks. 

When the problem occurs, what are you seeing in your web browser when you go to 192.168.77.1? Are there any errors in the interface when you notice the problem?

I use 192.168.88.1 to get to the interface normally. Would that make a difference? When the problem occurs the interface doesn't load up at all. It just says the site can't be reached I think. I reset it this morning so I can't check for sure.

1 hour ago, RobBob said:

I use 192.168.88.1 to get to the interface normally. Would that make a difference? When the problem occurs the interface doesn't load up at all. It just says the site can't be reached I think. I reset it this morning so I can't check for sure.

My apologies, I meant 192.168.88.1.

What firmware version are you currently running on the R1, is it 3.0.207?

After installing that firmware, did you factory reset the R1? If not, I'd suggest doing so as it clears out any low-level code that could've been left over from the previous firmware.

Yeah I’m on 3.0.207. Originally when I updated the firmware a few months ago I didn’t factory reset. I did do one the other week though and it didn’t make a difference. Would it be worth downgrading to old firmware, then going back to latest firmware and factory resetting? Or would that not make a difference?

Thanks

1 hour ago, RobBob said:

Yeah I’m on 3.0.207. Originally when I updated the firmware a few months ago I didn’t factory reset. I did do one the other week though and it didn’t make a difference. Would it be worth downgrading to old firmware, then going back to latest firmware and factory resetting? Or would that not make a difference?

Thanks

Were you having this issue on a previous firmware? If not then yes, downgrade but give it some time so you can verify whether the issue still occurs. After that, upgrade back to the latest and factory reset. Let us know if you're still having issues after that.

On 2/14/2022 at 3:44 PM, Netduma Liam said:

Were you having this issue on a previous firmware? If not then yes, downgrade but give it some time so you can verify whether the issue still occurs. After that, upgrade back to the latest and factory reset. Let us know if you're still having issues after that.

The router was still working fine on the old firmware last night. I’ll check again tonight then upgrade to latest firmware. Can I just check, when u say factory reset, should that be done by holding button at back for 30s or should it be done through the interface?

thanks

3 hours ago, RobBob said:

The router was still working fine on the old firmware last night. I’ll check again tonight then upgrade to latest firmware. Can I just check, when u say factory reset, should that be done by holding button at back for 30s or should it be done through the interface?

thanks

Either or, I'd probably suggest doing it through the interface where possible though.

I upgraded the firmware on Thursday night and when I checked last night it wasn’t working. Is there anything else I could try? I haven’t restarted it yet in case there are any tests I can do. 

Thanks

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

I did that when I set it up again after upgrading firmware. I also set it to 168 hours and turned WiFi off. Any other ideas?

thanks

The R1 was in the dmz of the bt hub but I’ve just checked and it had the wrong IP address set for it. I’m guessing it’s changed at some point while messing with the firmware. I’ve put it in the dmz again now. Should it restart R1 and see if it disconnects again?

I’ve just checked it and it has frozen again. I’m wondering now if my tp-link hub is causing the issue. The tp-link is connected to bt hub which then has R1, sky box, smart tv and hive connected to it. I would have to remove the R1 and connect it straight to bt hub to test this though. This would mean I wouldn’t be able to use the ps5 through it though due to my room layout. Is there anything else to try before I do this?

On the bt hub interface, it lists all the devices connected to the tp-link under Ethernet port 1. They all have their own IP and I have set the R1 to always use the same IP address. I don’t think the Tp-link has an interface as it’s just a simple hub.