R1 router stops working after a day or 2

RobBob

It hadn’t frozen in about 4 days which is longer than normal. This was with nothing else connected to it though. I’ve now moved my bt hub so the R1 is connected straight to it still and my ps5 is connected to the R1. Fingers crossed it’s sorted and that it was the tplink that was causing the issue. 

Unfortunately it had frozen again yesterday morning. When I moved it last week I had to factory reset it. I set it back up the same apart from leaving WiFi and QOS enabled. I’ve turned these off now and reset it but I’ve got a feeling it’s going to freeze again. I don’t think it was the tplink causing the problem now. I think it only worked for longer as there wasn’t anything connected to it. Could leaving my ps5 in rest mode have anything to do with it?

• Administrators

We've seen in the past a device in rest/standby mode can cause it to not appear online on the router properly so potentially that could account for it not having a connection sometimes, I wouldn't have thought it would render the interface inaccessible. Though it could be more that the router is running out of memory, after a few days could you keep an eye on the memory and CPU usage and see if it is running out/running high?

Well the R1 is still running after 4 days which is longer than normal. I’ve been  checking the memory usage every now and then and the free memory is slowly dropping. It was on 38% on Tuesday and it’s gradually dropped down to 26% today. The cpu usage has stayed the same at roughy 30%. I’ll keep checking it. 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, RobBob said:

Well the R1 is still running after 4 days which is longer than normal. I’ve been  checking the memory usage every now and then and the free memory is slowly dropping. It was on 38% on Tuesday and it’s gradually dropped down to 26% today. The cpu usage has stayed the same at roughy 30%. I’ll keep checking it. 

Great thank you, will be interesting to see if that is the cause!

The router had crashed yesterday morning. The night before the free memory was at 24%. I reset it and the free memory starts at about 45%. Can you think of anything that could be causing it to slowly run out of memory? And anything that could help with that?
I’ve turned the ps5 off and not left it in rest mode to see if it helps. 

• Administrators

Okay interesting, it sounds like it could be the memory, I've sent you a PM.

Turning the PS5 off fully should help, stopping any unnecessary traffic so like the PS being in standby etc, it's quite possible really heavy traffic might be causing it as well. 

Yeah I know it's getting on a bit now but it's got all the features I need. Just a shame it keeps crashing. I bought it second hand last year. I've looked for the Rapp Performance page but it's not there under the advanced section.

• Administrators

Ahh apologies, doesn't appear to be on that version. I don't think we'll be able to do something without a firmware fix, it does seem like a memory issue to me. I know it's not ideal but the only thing I can think of to ensure you don't get crashes throughout the day is to manually reboot it every night or every other day before going to bed or if you have a smart plug, schedule it to reboot before bed. I wish there was more I could do to help!

No worries pal. I’ve actually just this afternoon set up a schedule on a smart plug to reset it. It’ll do for now until I get my hands on an r2 eventually. Thanks for your help. 

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, RobBob said:

No worries pal. I’ve actually just this afternoon set up a schedule on a smart plug to reset it. It’ll do for now until I get my hands on an r2 eventually. Thanks for your help. 

Ah glad you're able to do that without an additional purchase, you're welcome!