R2 hangs roughly once a day

Russ_T

Hello,

My R2 freezes about once a day on average. It'll go a few days without issue sometimes, but it's done it twice today.

By freezes/hangs, I mean my house loses it's net connectivity (but my modem is still connected so it's actually fine), and the R2 admin page doesn't respond.

I powercycle the R2, and everything works again very quickly.

I'm trying to work out the issue. It's running 3.0.205. Where can I start please?

Thanks

Sorry to hear this! 

Are all devices losing connectivity or is it just a selection of devices?

Could you please go to Network Settings -> LAN -> DHCP and set the lease time to 168 hours? Then hit apply and reboot the router.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a bit more stable lately. I'll give that a go though, thank you.

How can I diagnose that it was lease expiration as a root cause? That all my devices will have lost their IP allocation, so from windows if I ipconfig I can spot that?

Thanks

I've had similar issues where either random devices are dropped from the network or the netduma router loses connectivity all together and I have to power cycle. It was happening a few times a week so I've put my ISP router back in and I have no drop outs since. Its a shame as the features of the router are decent, just seems unreliable. Annoying as only had since February. 

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, Russ_T said:

It's been a bit more stable lately. I'll give that a go though, thank you.

How can I diagnose that it was lease expiration as a root cause? That all my devices will have lost their IP allocation, so from windows if I ipconfig I can spot that?

Thanks

You can't necessarily as it would still then get the same IP most likely. A good indication is that when it renews it will say so in the log file on the router, if that matches up with when the disconnect happens then it's almost certainly that. What is your modem/router model that the R2 is connected to?

9 minutes ago, WashableMelon said:

I've had similar issues where either random devices are dropped from the network or the netduma router loses connectivity all together and I have to power cycle. It was happening a few times a week so I've put my ISP router back in and I have no drop outs since. Its a shame as the features of the router are decent, just seems unreliable. Annoying as only had since February. 

You should've make a post so we can help! Take the R2 WAN IP from the System Information page and set that as a static/reserved IP on your ISP router as well as the above suggestion and see if it helps.

My ISP router is a Draytek Vigor 2862, seems rock solid. There's nothing else plugged into it but if I get more issues I'll fix the IP from modem -> r2.

Do the system logs in the R2 persist after a restart? I will need to start checking them after my next failure/restart.

I can also try force a DHCP renew next time it "hangs" and see if that gets me back on.

Thanks

The web interface? Not at all, I cannot get to 192.168.77.1. I could try plugging something new in and seeing if that is given an IP and can access it I suppose. Or I have to wait and hope it recovers or force an IP release or something to get me back on.

So it's hung atm, I've left it around 5 hours now whilst I went out and nothing in my home is now on the net. Is there any diagnosis I can do to help resolve it?

If this is a known issue though surely a hotfix could have been released by now? 

Ok, here's about all the diagnosis I cba with heh. So everything is in the dhcp expired, nothing is working state. 

ipconfig >>

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::69cf:eaf6:c350:e37f%6
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.227.127
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

and this is what the windows dialog tells me >>

Link speed (Receive/Transmit):    1000/1000 (Mbps)
Link-local IPv6 address:    fe80::69cf:eaf6:c350:e37f%6
IPv6 DNS servers:    fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
Manufacturer:    Intel
Description:    Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V
Driver version:    12.19.0.16
Physical address (MAC):    [Obfuscated]

I try ipconfig /renew >>

"An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

I power cycle the R2 and ipconfig /renew >>

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::69cf:eaf6:c350:e37f%6
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.77.100
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.77.1

and windows tells me >>

Link speed (Receive/Transmit):    1000/1000 (Mbps)
Link-local IPv6 address:    fe80::69cf:eaf6:c350:e37f%6
IPv4 address:    192.168.77.100
IPv4 DNS servers:    192.168.77.1
Primary DNS suffix:    lan
Manufacturer:    Intel
Description:    Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V
Driver version:    12.19.0.16
Physical address (MAC):    [Obfuscated]

And everything on my network will eventually come back to life.

Is it an IPv6 thing, I'm not sure I need it at all.  I'm not sure why but dhcp is not renewing until I bounce the router.

• Administrators

I wouldn't have thought it's an IPv6 issue, but you can disable that in LAN/WAN settings, that won't cause a problem.

The IP your PC is getting, did you set that as a reserved/static IP on the PC itself or on the router? Is DHCP enabled, if so what are the start and end IPs?

@kgrm i've responded to your post

That is a reserved IP on the router. I have done this for 3 devices. The connectivity problem is not limited to just them though, any device on the network drops off when the router "hangs", for example my wifi bathroom scales lose connectivity as well lol. 

Weirdly, I'm looking at networking settings now, and I have already disabled IPV6 for wan and lan, so I'm not sure why my device appears to have an IPv6 address.

DHCP rang is 192.168.77.2 to 192.168.77.250

Lease time 168hrs.

One solution I'm considering is to put the router on a smart plug and power cycle it at 5am every morning :) That'll be under the 168hr lease time.

Thanks

• Administrators

That's a potentially good workaround. Before you try that, limit the range of DHCP so for example .150-250 and then apply reserved IPs to all devices using IPs not in that range such as the .100 for your PC. Just want to see if you take DHCP out completely whether it helps

It just failed again, so didn't last 168 hours. 

I think I'm going to sell it, unless there is a firmware update very soon and we know there are some reliability fixes in it. I bought the Netduma just for the geo fencing of COD servers, but it's not worth it.

3 hours ago, Russ_T said:

It just failed again, so didn't last 168 hours. 

I think I'm going to sell it, unless there is a firmware update very soon and we know there are some reliability fixes in it. I bought the Netduma just for the geo fencing of COD servers, but it's not worth it.

Sorry to hear that, we are working on this issue on a matter of high priority as it's very diruptive for those that are experiencing it. If you'd like to continue with troubleshooting please do let us know, otherwise we're trying to get a fix out for this as fast as possible.

Seems little point in troubleshooting if it's a known issue that needs fixing.

I'll give it a while for the fix. The router seems nice, just unreliable for me.

15 minutes ago, Russ_T said:

Seems little point in troubleshooting if it's a known issue that needs fixing.

I'll give it a while for the fix. The router seems nice, just unreliable for me.

Thanks for your pateince and understanding.

Some users have reported that disabling the Wi-Fi on the R2 then using either another router/the upstream modem for Wi-Fi returns stability, this will limit the effectiveness of QoS but you can still use fetures like Geo-filter while waiting for a fix.

I've already done this, as I use a mesh wifi network in bridge mode.

One thing I have noticed, is it takes an age for my devices to find the internet, I believe this is due to the router not my wifi though. I will try to determine if this is slow dhcp or what though.

Most of my devices are wired and don't seem to have that problem.

20 minutes ago, Russ_T said:

I've already done this, as I use a mesh wifi network in bridge mode.

One thing I have noticed, is it takes an age for my devices to find the internet, I believe this is due to the router not my wifi though. I will try to determine if this is slow dhcp or what though.

Most of my devices are wired and don't seem to have that problem.

OK, thanks for that. Let us know how you get on or if you have any further issues.

• 6 months later...

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem as I’m having the same issue with my R1 router? I’ve set static IP’s and set the lease to 168hrs but it’s still happening, although it does last longer now with the longer lease.