PING (UNDER LOAD)???

stimpy

Hi I recently have been trying to optimize my internet for playing competitive COD/WZ and have been looking at ping under load this is what mine is does this seem inconsistent or bad and what could I possibly do to make it more stable I've seen some other screen shots on here of other players with way more stable ping with less spikes. https://gyazo.com/ac4c7dff413cac2b9cf310c00e27e2a9

7 hours ago, stimpy said:

Hi I recently have been trying to optimize my internet for playing competitive COD/WZ and have been looking at ping under load this is what mine is does this seem inconsistent or bad and what could I possibly do to make it more stable I've seen some other screen shots on here of other players with way more stable ping with less spikes. https://gyazo.com/ac4c7dff413cac2b9cf310c00e27e2a9

This can be optimised using QoS, how do you currently have QoS configured?

My suggestion would be to set your Congestion Control sliders to 70% each and ensure the DumaOS classified games rule is enabled.

For running the Connection Benchmark test, make sure Congestion Control is set to Always. Once you've finished testing set it back to Auto-enable.

6 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

This can be optimised using QoS, how do you currently have QoS configured?

My suggestion would be to set your Congestion Control sliders to 70% each and ensure the DumaOS classified games rule is enabled.

For running the Connection Benchmark test, make sure Congestion Control is set to Always. Once you've finished testing set it back to Auto-enable.

This is how my QoS is set up now that I found the best settings for it to give me the lowest loaded ping: https://gyazo.com/b257a9ec8fcb3a25d304e55d0e3bc25a
This is the results: https://gyazo.com/2c270aea3824de50c3b9d83f5a16a5ec
I am just not sure if lowering my speeds that much with QoS is having a detrimental effect on my connection I'm still getting inconsistent hit reg on low ping. 

53 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Gaming uses less than 1Mbps usually so it won't be negatively impacting you. What is the average ping as shown by the Geo-Filter/in game ping?

Where do I see that? I usually just pay attention to in game latency/ping reading. And as far as that in game ping it just depends on what servers I am on some feel much more laggy and some feel good but it sometimes reads the same ping so I don't know what the server is or if its just server load that causes the lag...

Also is there a way to ping the server you are currently connected to while in a game of Warzone. Would be nice so you can allow/white list it when searching for a game and block/black list bad servers with poor connection.

• Administrators

Are you using the Geo-Filter at all? If so then by default it will automatically ping the server and show you this on a panel that will appear bottom right of the screen. 

It should ping automatically but otherwise you can disable auto ping and click on the icon to ping it.

Wouldn't really be possible to do that in real time as you'd connect to a server too quickly but you can use Ping Heatmap to find the best ping servers and use that to inform your Geo-Filter settings.

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you using the Geo-Filter at all? If so then by default it will automatically ping the server and show you this on a panel that will appear bottom right of the screen. 

It should ping automatically but otherwise you can disable auto ping and click on the icon to ping it.

Wouldn't really be possible to do that in real time as you'd connect to a server too quickly but you can use Ping Heatmap to find the best ping servers and use that to inform your Geo-Filter settings.

Yes I use Geo Filter sometimes on sometimes off. I also see the pings to the server but it only appears when the game loads up and shows all the servers pop up or when I connect to a game but that server for example:
(I connect to a game on the map its the same location and gives me a ping said server. I block this server. I que for another game same exact spot on the map in Geo Filter different server.)

Like how does that work? Is there a way to block or allow servers using the ping heatmap?
Also on Heatmap it allows you to add servers listed to a list what is the point of that what can you do with that list?

And also I saw some forum posts a while back related to hit detection with Call of Duty and changing MTU could you explain that at all?  

As for Geo Filter how does that work exactly? By selecting an area around my best pinged server does that mean that I will only try to connect to that server and only to people in that area? like if someone that is outside the selected area was trying to connect it just would not put me in the server? and is that why the que times become so long? https://gyazo.com/121032108cbec23d7fb7f3473aca247f

• Administrators

You'll have to wait 2 minutes after blocking a server before you search again for the connection to be severed. 

No way to block or anything on Heatmap, all it does is ping servers - the list is so you can make a custom list of servers so you can check those specific server pings easily.

Some people believe that lowering your MTU severely can benefit your hit detection, realistically I think it's more of a placebo but you could try it if you like.

Yes that is exactly how it works. If a server outside your radius tries to connect it will block it yes. It can extend search times yes but if you have a few servers covered then it shouldn't be too noticeable.

We have quite a few optimal settings guides here if you'd like to learn more about the features: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

22 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You'll have to wait 2 minutes after blocking a server before you search again for the connection to be severed. 

No way to block or anything on Heatmap, all it does is ping servers - the list is so you can make a custom list of servers so you can check those specific server pings easily.

Some people believe that lowering your MTU severely can benefit your hit detection, realistically I think it's more of a placebo but you could try it if you like.

Yes that is exactly how it works. If a server outside your radius tries to connect it will block it yes. It can extend search times yes but if you have a few servers covered then it shouldn't be too noticeable.

We have quite a few optimal settings guides here if you'd like to learn more about the features: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

Ok thanks, also is there any way you guys could space out the servers that ping in the same exact spot in California it seems that there is a lot of them that are all pining on top of each other on the geo filter map and when I try to click it to allow or disallow it will pick the wrong one for some reason there is I think a verification server that pings right on top of the servers that you actually connect to. 

Also as far as using ping assist goes I saw a video on YT saying that if putting your location in the middle of the ocean and setting ping assist to a number/ping it wont connect you to anything over that said ping. Now my question is if I use polygon/or other mode and select an area not near where I live over a server that gets me 40 ping that I know is there will setting ping assist to lets say 15 extend the 40 max ping to 55 making me connect to further away server if it finds one? or will it then default back to trying to find me a server under 15 ping near my actual location and not the selected one? 

• Administrators

We could try and do something about that, maybe something similar to how Heatmap does it?

Yes people do sometimes use that method with Ping Assist, it's whatever works for you really, it will vary from person to person. 

No that's not how it works, they're each separate features essentially so if more than one is used at a time they will both try and get you a game within those parameters. For trying to force a specific server/area you will need to set Ping Assist to 0 and use polygon or radius instead.

On 2/6/2022 at 4:15 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

We could try and do something about that, maybe something similar to how Heatmap does it?

Yes people do sometimes use that method with Ping Assist, it's whatever works for you really, it will vary from person to person. 

No that's not how it works, they're each separate features essentially so if more than one is used at a time they will both try and get you a game within those parameters. For trying to force a specific server/area you will need to set Ping Assist to 0 and use polygon or radius instead.

Are you talking about the list of servers that pop up on the side of the screen that would be great you guys should definitely do that.

On 2/5/2022 at 12:46 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Question about MTU, do I change the MTU on the PS5 network settings or on Netduma network settings?

3 hours ago, Seye said:

Question about MTU, do I change the MTU on the PS5 network settings or on Netduma network settings?

Does that even do anything I was messing around with it and honestly I don't think I noticed anything if it does what do you recommend? 

35 minutes ago, Sentinel82 said:

Netduma network settings.

What MTU do you recommend I've tried 680/700 and 1500 I just don't know what is supposed to be best by anyone that actually noticed a change?

• Administrators
21 hours ago, stimpy said:

Are you talking about the list of servers that pop up on the side of the screen that would be great you guys should definitely do that.

No not that exactly - on the map if there is more than one server in a location it appears as a diamond shape instead of a circle, then if you click that it pings all the servers in that location.

We are actually working on an integration between Heatmap and the Geo-Filter.

20 hours ago, Seye said:

We usually say on the router Network Settings

On 2/9/2022 at 2:04 PM, zman1156 said:

Yeah changing MTU is not going to usually ever yield any good results. Its been tried and tested. Works for like 1% of people its more of like an exotic thing. 

Gotcha so best thing do do is just mess with QoS until you get the best ping under load for Download and Uload?

Well I tried looked like it worked for a while...when it comes to warzone nothing is constant, jump on previous cods everything thing is great but on warzone it's a different matter.