The Traffic Prioritazing Quest - Can anybody help?

Guilherme Poersch

Before everything else, let me be straitght: I'm a newbie. I gos my R2 a few months ago because I wanted to dive in the compettive FIFA and I've been trying to learn a little bit more everyday about conection, internet, packets and all that thing. 
It worked wonders for me, but I still have some problems. For example, I still fell when someone is using the internet for other stuff. We live in 4 and sometimes it's a real pain in the you know what.
I just wanted to prioritize the game packets in hardcore mode, so I don't have to worry.

>> My initial idea was to go ahead and insert all the ports that the game says I should, but it wont work.
After playing afew games, the number of packets did not inscrease at all. 

>> My second solution was to prioritize all traffic goig through PS5. the connection improved a little, but I still feel the use, taking the ping from 15ms to 100ms sometimes. 
I kept going and decided to breaked the range from 1-65535 to understand which ports were beeing used. I started to breaked the range in half and eliminating the ones with no trace of data on the packet tranfers response. I don't know if it is the best way and if i'm on the right path, but I guess you guys can tell me. 

>> One of the ports I got to was the 443, that according to my extremely limited knowledge, is responsible for the http. But I don't unsderstand why it would be used in the ps5, considering it doensn't even have a browser. 

>> I even checked the UPNP and it brings out something called EA TUNNEL, on the port 3659 UDP. But when I add it, again, no data. Same with the other one, that says 9308 UDP, related to my PS5 IP. 

Also, when I actively join and play matches, the port that seems to receive and tranfer more data is in the range from 12000-39999 TCP/UDP. What is weird because the ports they give us are:
TCP: 1935, 3478-3480, 3659, 10000-100099, 42127.
UDP: 3074, 3078-3079, 3659, 6000.

Just to let you know, I have the Congestion Control operating on [Always], with 40% download and 50% upload. 
On my Badwith Allocation, I reserve something between 30 and 40% for my PS5 and I keep the Download and Upload share excess unchecked. 
My PS5 in on a ethernet cable, so all the ports were testes on the Normal (default) and apply to WAN. 

Can you guys help me do this priorization?

I know EA is the worst company, with the worst support. And I know you already hate FIFA because NETDUMA work perfect for every game, but this one LOL. 

Thanks for posting so much detail, that's really helpful.

I believe the best and simplest solution would be to prioritise all traffic from the PS5 in one rule, as you mention above.

When you play FIFA, you should be noticing that rule detect priority traffic and the traffic counters increase rapidly. Is that the case?

Also, is there a device/application that someone else in the household uses that then causes you to lag? For example, you start to lag specifically when a certain devices starts streaming Netflix?

Can you replicate this activity, and when doing so watch Traffic Prioritisation. Is priority traffic being detected by any of the rules? It may be that some traffic on the network is also being prioritised alongside your PS5.

Hey, thanks for the quick response!

12 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

When you play FIFA, you should be noticing that rule detect priority traffic and the traffic counters increase rapidly. Is that the case?

Sure! Thats is the case! 

Also, is there a device/application that someone else in the household uses that then causes you to lag? For example, you start to lag specifically when a certain devices starts streaming Netflix?

So, I did it again and it looks like most social media, like Instagram and also online documentos beeign edited, like on google drive for exemple, would make it laggy. Also, Whatsapp and Slack conversations, when sending and receiving messages. I guess it probably is more related to upload stuff than download. 

Can you replicate this activity, and when doing so watch Traffic Prioritisation. Is priority traffic being detected by any of the rules? It may be that some traffic on the network is also being prioritised alongside your PS5.

When the PS5 is off, it won't do it.
When it's on, I can't tell how to figure it it is from the game or not. Even keeping it without any use, the packets still increase. 

11 hours ago, Guilherme Poersch said:

Hey, thanks for the quick response!

Sure! Thats is the case! 

So, I did it again and it looks like most social media, like Instagram and also online documentos beeign edited, like on google drive for exemple, would make it laggy. Also, Whatsapp and Slack conversations, when sending and receiving messages. I guess it probably is more related to upload stuff than download. 

When the PS5 is off, it won't do it.
When it's on, I can't tell how to figure it it is from the game or not. Even keeping it without any use, the packets still increase. 

OK sure, are there any other games you play? Can you play these while the usual activity is happening on the network and check to see if you experience the same problems? Then we know whether it's FIFA or not.

I gues I can try, but I think FIFA is the only one I would be able to tell the diferrence. 
But it really isn't a PROBLEM you know? I just wanted to investigate and see if I could find the perfect config for this. 

Doing some tests with the different sector of ports beeing priorittized, do you thing that they could have different categories for different types of action, responses or feedback in the matches. 

Because the difference between FIFA and some other games is that you control one player each time. But the rest of the team is controlled by the game. Ok, you keep switching between the players, but the rest of the characters keep moving by themselves. Açso, you have the conenction with the player on the other side, your opponent. And also, there's the card layouts. Feels like each "area" of those gets data from a different port. 

Do you think it would be possible that some ports are more "fundamental" for the actions itself? Like we could prioritize some ports and the game would be better playable, even if the graphic stuff would not work properly, like the cards, the "layout"? 

It's really hard to describe it, lol. Mostly beacuse English is not my first language. When it gets technical I flop. 

• Administrators

You're very good at English - speaking for myself I have not had any trouble understanding you!

You are along the right lines - there are usually one or two main game ports and then the others can be used for authentication and less 'important' aspects. I believe port 3074 UDP will be one of these important ports.

Could you provide a screenshot of your Connection Benchmark results?

Hey, thanks for that. 

Here's the screeshot of the benchmark results. 

I have some peaks that are hard to contain. Sometimes 60 or more. 
ALso, today I really tested out the smartphonr + playing and it really get in the way for some reason aI can't understand. 

Anyway, I kept doing some tests and appearently, 3074 is not one of the ports used at all. No data transfered when I prioritized it. 

But i felt like some of the ranges made it better. Now, what I'm using is:
>> 443 TCP - This one already transfers data when I turn on the ps5. 
>> 1-99 TCP/UDP - Couldn't find the right one yet. Looks like is not only the 80 that I believe is a "famous" one. But also transfers when the ps5 is on, even if the game is not running. 
>> 3000-11999 - A lot of data, but works mostly when I'm on the menus or before the match stars. 
>> 21000-21999 - This one is the one that tranfers data only when the match is happening. Looks like it is a range of ports, so it gets harder to do this way. 

But also, I noticed it gets different depending which one is proioritized first. Is it true? Like the top ones have more "privilege"?

Also, any thoughts about the other stuuf?

Don't get worried! As I said, everything is working fine, but I fell I can get near pefect. I just need to get the right config, lol. And maybe help the other football lovers to work theirs too. 

benchmark.png

Looking online, these apparently are the ports that FIFA uses on the PS5

TCP: 1935, 3478-3480, 3659, 10000-10099, 42127
UDP: 3074, 3478-3479, 3659, 6000

You could try experimenting with those, although it would be quite an involved process to measure which appears to be more fundamental to the gameplay.

There is no priority associated with the order of the rules in Traffic Prioritisation. Are you adding these rules as 'Gaming/Voice' wireless type, or as 'Normal'?

I'd also suggest experimenting adjust your Congestion Control Upload slider 5% at a time and retest Connection Benchmark each time, see which provides the best Ping Test (Under Load) results.

Hello, I find very interesting this post since I use to play FIFA also for competition. 

I have been recently quite concerned about the QOS performance after the posts I opened that my discord was blocked in my phone and by switching of the QOS functionality was recovering. Could also the QOS be limiting some functionalities from FIFA to make worse performance? I am saying this because I have a very randome behaviour in this game and I dont know what else to try. 

The game sometimes runs perfect(When I say perfect is best gameplay ever) but some other days suddenly is broken again and it stais broken for some days is not a punctual bad performance. 

About the ports.... in terms of behaviour is the same if I open manually those ports mentioned above than if I put the DMZ to my ps5 ip? (is how I got it set at this moment)

Thanks,

Juan

29 minutes ago, Juan Bernado said:

Hello, I find very interesting this post since I use to play FIFA also for competition. 

I have been recently quite concerned about the QOS performance after the posts I opened that my discord was blocked in my phone and by switching of the QOS functionality was recovering. Could also the QOS be limiting some functionalities from FIFA to make worse performance? I am saying this because I have a very randome behaviour in this game and I dont know what else to try. 

The game sometimes runs perfect(When I say perfect is best gameplay ever) but some other days suddenly is broken again and it stais broken for some days is not a punctual bad performance. 

About the ports.... in terms of behaviour is the same if I open manually those ports mentioned above than if I put the DMZ to my ps5 ip? (is how I got it set at this moment)

Thanks,

Juan

So disabling QoS fixes the issue of messages not loading in Discord, is that correct?

It's very unlikely that this is the same scenario for FIFA as we've actually captured game traffic for FIFA when adding it to DumaOS, so nothing there should be getting denied.

We are not suggesting that you setup port forwarding rules for those ports, but rather add Traffic Prioritisation rules for those ports. That means that traffic using those ports get prioritised over other traffic on the network.

Discord gets fixed disabling QOS? Correct it gets fixed. 

So can you please show me how to add port priority on those ones? should I put same port for source port and destination port?

Currently I got PS5 in general as Games console. Not by ports. 

image.png.be06d0ecbb20b7593705b312902b5d44.png

I'm still working on the tests, but I changed ISP so i will take a little longer. 

Regarding the Games Console, yeah, it will catch some traffic, but For some reason, the ports used for the actual matches, when you really play, are a range of ports from 21000-21999. 

But since I got more internet speed in the last days, I felt like i got really better when I set the QOS to 40% or even 30% sometimes. Maybe you could try that. 

As soon I find some better info, I'll brig it back!

17 minutes ago, Guilherme Poersch said:

I'm still working on the tests, but I changed ISP so i will take a little longer. 

Regarding the Games Console, yeah, it will catch some traffic, but For some reason, the ports used for the actual matches, when you really play, are a range of ports from 21000-21999. 

But since I got more internet speed in the last days, I felt like i got really better when I set the QOS to 40% or even 30% sometimes. Maybe you could try that. 

As soon I find some better info, I'll brig it back!

im not being able to get any traffic apart from the general one for my ps5. are you setting those ports for a game on tcp/udp or just tcp or udp, also I tried selecting the wan function an no wan function an so far same result 

image.png.ce8fec9bf8708b2a16006670061302fc.png

16 hours ago, Juan Bernado said:

Nothing I cannot get any port prioritization to work while I am playing a game, is there any way which ports are being used onlive on the router? any logs or sniffer I can check?

In your rules, I'd suggest setting the source ports to be 1-65535. Also, select TCP and UDP. 

That being said, your previous rule for the PS5 was prioritising quite a lot of traffic, so that appears to be working properly as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 1:48 PM, Guilherme Poersch said:

Also, if you hooked your ps5 on cable, always go for Normal (default).

image.png.2fb4a9d4a332a0d55bcc663205891c85.png

This is how mine is set right now. I mean, is not ideal yet, but i feel like i runs better. 
I have more internet speed , so I reduced my QOS a little more. That's important too. 

image.thumb.png.d397baee8ff056605b6d721a76c09825.png

bro can you post the config exactly what ports you have on the router for traffic in Fifa? (ports prioritized in QoS, etc)

• 1 month later...

Hey, man! Soory, I took some time off. 

So, right now I'm just using it like this:

config1.thumb.png.1943e02b604535e17c8fd2a0d42d4ed4.png

But I feeel like what made it a lot better was to reduce drastically the QOS percentage. (Thanks to @Netduma Fraser)

I'm using 20% download and 35% upload for the whole house and it works as a charm. 
The distribuition is equal for all dispositives. 

But, of course, it depends on your internet speed. I have 400D 200U rn.  

2 minutes ago, Guilherme Poersch said:

Hey, man! Soory, I took some time off. 

So, right now I'm just using it like this:

config1.thumb.png.1943e02b604535e17c8fd2a0d42d4ed4.png

But I feeel like what made it a lot better was to reduce drastically the QOS percentage. (Thanks to @Netduma Fraser)

I'm using 20% download and 35% upload for the whole house and it works as a charm. 
The distribuition is equal for all dispositives. 

But, of course, it depends on your internet speed. I have 400D 200U rn.  

I have 940 down and 35 up and use something similar on QoS. I go with 15 on the download and 29 to 30 on the upload.