Geo Filtering and Hybrid VPN problems

chriswc

Hi all, 

I don't know if it's just me, but after updating to the new firmware, I have ran into two problems, and there is still one problem that have been there from the start. The 2 new problems are the geo filtering works for like 2 days, and then it stops working, and I will have to reboot the router to make it work again. The second problem is hybrid vpn, I'm using expressvpn, and it seems it doesn't remember the username and password and configuration files like before. After it fails, disabling and enabling it doesn't work, I had to go back and recopy the username, password and copy and paste the configuration file again, is that normal? 

The lingering bug for me is still when I reboot the router from the browser it doesn't work, yes it the router reboots, but the modem it is connected too stops working and I have to physically reboot the router by turning it on and off for the internet to be connected again, is that normal? Any advice or instructions for me would be greatly appreciated. 

Kindest regards, 

Chris

5 hours ago, chriswc said:

Hi all, 

I don't know if it's just me, but after updating to the new firmware, I have ran into two problems, and there is still one problem that have been there from the start. The 2 new problems are the geo filtering works for like 2 days, and then it stops working, and I will have to reboot the router to make it work again. The second problem is hybrid vpn, I'm using expressvpn, and it seems it doesn't remember the username and password and configuration files like before. After it fails, disabling and enabling it doesn't work, I had to go back and recopy the username, password and copy and paste the configuration file again, is that normal? 

The lingering bug for me is still when I reboot the router from the browser it doesn't work, yes it the router reboots, but the modem it is connected too stops working and I have to physically reboot the router by turning it on and off for the internet to be connected again, is that normal? Any advice or instructions for me would be greatly appreciated. 

Kindest regards, 

Chris

Hey Chris, thanks for posting this.

Firstly, could you please factory reset the R2? It's always best to do this after upgrading the firmware.

If the problems persist after the reset, in what way does Geo-filter stop working? Do you stop getting connected to games or are you getting connected to games outside of your radius? Can you provide a full screenshot of your Geo-filter page?

Check if the bug persists with Hybrid VPN, I would expect that to be resolved with the reset.

To be clear, the R2 rebooting is causing your modem to stop working? If so, could you provide the exact make and model of the modem?

Thank you for getting back to me, ok, so I have factory reset the router and it works for a day or two, I still get connected to a game, but I will sometimes get connected outside my polygon radius which I have set and plus there is no indication to what server or peers I am connected to. Please see the screen shot, I just get a map with no indications. For VPN as the vpn as not failed yet so when it does and when I reconnect I will update on that matter. As for the modem, I am connected to a fibre optic modem from Alcatel Lucent model I-020G-P. Thank you for helping me in advance. 

Kindest regards, 

Christopher Cheung

Screenshot_2022-01-16_at_11_49.44_PM.png

• Administrators

You will likely get games outside your radius every so often as you have Ping Assist enabled, if you set this to 0 it will prevent that.

Try this:

1. Quit the application/game/client completely
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Give PC PlayStation Device Type in the Device Manager (if on PC)
  4. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  5. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  6. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  7. Wait 2 minutes
  8. Boot up application/game/client

Then see if it works better.

Thank you Fraser, for getting back to me. Tried the steps you mentioned to before and followed the step by step, but still nothing shows up in the main geo filter, had to physically unplug the router and modem and restart both again. Want to also report, even after factory reset, it seems I need to reenter the express vpn setting again, before just reenabling it would remember the previous setting, but now, we have to reenter every time it fails. 

Kindest regards, 

Christopher Cheung

Thank you Fraser, for getting back to me. Tried the steps you mentioned to before and followed the step by step, but still nothing shows up in the main geo filter, had to physically unplug the router and modem and restart both again. Want to also report, even after factory reset, it seems I need to reenter the express vpn setting again, before just reenabling it would remember the previous setting, but now, we have to reenter every time it fails. 

Kindest regards, 

Christopher Cheung

Are there any other networks that your PC could possible connect to? A common example is if there is a separate Wi-Fi network that your PC could be connected to via it's Wi-Fi adapter. This would cause Geo-filter to seemingly stop working because game traffic might be going out a different adapter and through a different network.

We would expect that you'd have to re-enter your VPN settings after a factory reset, that's the sort of information that would be cleared out.

Thank Liam for getting back to me, but I'm connected through ethernet, will the wifi still affect the geo filtering? I have another router connecting to the Netduma R2, that passes through my ethernet connection, would that be the problem? As right now, my connection is modem to Netduma R2 to a apple extreme tower (router mode is off and in bridge mode) to playstation ethernet connection. 

Kindest regards, 

Christopher Cheung

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, chriswc said:

Dear Fraser, 

I'm using 192.168.1.x does that make a difference, should I go back to 192.168.77.x?

Chris

Just to clarify, you've set the router LAN IP to 192.168.1.x or that is what the console is reporting?

• 2 weeks later...

However the Hybrid VPN issues still remains, every time it fails to connect, I can't just reenable it to connect, I have to input all the information again in the openVPN settings. Rebooting from the router from browser is also still a no go with the modem, as it will not connect to the internet, and I will have manually turn off and on the modem for it to connect again. So weird. Any advice welcomed and appreciated. 

However the Hybrid VPN issues still remains, every time it fails to connect, I can't just reenable it to connect, I have to input all the information again in the openVPN settings. Rebooting from the router from browser is also still a no go with the modem, as it will not connect to the internet, and I will have manually turn off and on the modem for it to connect again. So weird. Any advice welcomed and appreciated. 

Could you possible provide the OpenVPN config file you're using? It may be worth us checking to see if there's anything in there that could cause the disconnection.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Liam, 

Please see the openVPN config file I have been using from ExpressVPN, I'm using a US server to connect. Before the update of firmware, using the same config files you didn't have copy and paste again, just a simple disable and enable would reconnect to the expressvpn servers. 

my_expressvpn_usa_-_seattle_udp.ovpn

A user actually reported that Express VPN have changed their website such that you can no longer copy the username and password from there directly. Apparently, when you do this it adds a space to the start of the username and password. 

Could you please double-check this by pasting your username and password into a notepad or something and see if there's a space at the start?

On 2/23/2022 at 11:57 AM, Netduma Liam said:

A user actually reported that Express VPN have changed their website such that you can no longer copy the username and password from there directly. Apparently, when you do this it adds a space to the start of the username and password. 

Could you please double-check this by pasting your username and password into a notepad or something and see if there's a space at the start?

I tested this myself by pasting it from the web to the notepad that isnt the cause. 

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So it works by pasting and typing it in manually for you? 

Yes it works for me. Pretty sure something is buggged somewhere because right now on my system it says that the vpn is disconnected and it is actually connected. Tested using whatismyipaddress.com