Power Light Amber

Hi there,

Over the past few weeks, several times a day my internet is dropping and the power light on my xr300 is going red. 

I’ve tried a full reset but this hasn’t helped. 

Any ideas what the issue is!

Many Thanks, Adam 

On 12/28/2021 at 4:27 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

What firmware version are you on currently? Did anything change in your setup a few weeks ago, settings change, moving the router physically etc?

XR300 1.0.3.56_10.3.41

No changes to setup or any movement, its very odd.

• Administrators

The latest is https://kb.netgear.com/000064355/XR300-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-68 so I'd recommend upgrading to that, once it has completed, factory reset from the interface, wait 2 minutes then setup and see whether it appears to be working correctly

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The latest is https://kb.netgear.com/000064355/XR300-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-68 so I'd recommend upgrading to that, once it has completed, factory reset from the interface, wait 2 minutes then setup and see whether it appears to be working correctly

Thanks I’ll try that

On 12/29/2021 at 11:00 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Hi Fraser, I've tried that and it's still happening, anything else I can try?

My ISP say the connection looks stable on their end.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

In LAN Settings set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

I don’t have any reserved addresses so is it still worth trying or not? Cheers 

• Administrators

I'd suggest reupgrading the firmware using the TFTP method, this bypasses the boot process and any issues there then once done do a factory reset for the freshest install possible: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP if it's persisting through resets and reboots then this is the best way to hopefully resolve it.

On 1/7/2022 at 12:13 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

I'd suggest reupgrading the firmware using the TFTP method, this bypasses the boot process and any issues there then once done do a factory reset for the freshest install possible: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP if it's persisting through resets and reboots then this is the best way to hopefully resolve it.

Hi there, I have done this and it's still occurring. I lost connection just now and the only way to restore it was to turn the router off and then on again

1 hour ago, adam01625 said:

Hi there, I have done this and it's still occurring. I lost connection just now and the only way to restore it was to turn the router off and then on again

Since upgrading via TFTP, have you setup the reserved addresses and changed the address pool as you did before? I'm afraid you might need to do that again.

When the connection drops, are you able to get to the interface of the XR300 by going to 192.168.1.1 in your web browser? 

5 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Since upgrading via TFTP, have you setup the reserved addresses and changed the address pool as you did before? I'm afraid you might need to do that again.

When the connection drops, are you able to get to the interface of the XR300 by going to 192.168.1.1 in your web browser? 

Ok I’ll do that again. 

No I’ve tried getting into the interface but I can’t until I’ve restarted the router 

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Was this the first time you lost connection since doing TFTP? What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to?

Yes it’s the first time as far as I know. 

It’s an openreach hg612

3 hours ago, Newfie said:

When it drops again look at the modem and check all the lights a still showing, should be 3 showing if you check now.

All the lights are in on the modem when the connection drops and the power light on the xr is amber 

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Your public IP doesn't appear to have changed, may be the DHCP lease renewing on the XR as it has been about a week so do make those changes again and see if it resolves it from now on

Ok I’ve set the ip range from 50 onwards again and the connection had just dropped again. 

looks like I’ll have to plug my isp router back in 

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Does the XR keep a connection when the ISP router is used?

No I haven't been able to get them working together, I meant I'll have to disconnect the XR completely and just go back to using the zen internet router

2 hours ago, adam01625 said:

No I haven't been able to get them working together, I meant I'll have to disconnect the XR completely and just go back to using the zen internet router

Do you require PPPoE, VLAN or DHCP identifiers to get the XR connected to the internet? If you're not sure it's unlikely that you do.