Traffic Prio vs QOS

CrossFitKila717

Traffic Prioritization is part of QoS.. But lets say you have a device like your Xbox or PS5 added to Traffic Prioritization. That then supersedes Buffer Bloat Control. So basically your gaming device then bypasses BB contol.. And all UDP packets are sent to the front of the line. Or are queued to the front bypassing Buffer Bloat Control. Hopefully that makes sense.  

One really doesnt pick one or the other.  Not in this case anyways. Basically if you remove the said gaming device from Traffic Prioritization then it would then be under Buffer Bloat Control again. And all traffic would be buffered. Even UDP packets.  

Theres more to it then what I mentioned but thats basically it in a nut shell..

Im sure Fraser or Liam could explain more if needed for yah!  :) 

Thanks!

Zippy.

8 hours ago, Zippy said:

Traffic Prioritization is part of QoS.. But lets say you have a device like your Xbox or PS5 added to Traffic Prioritization. That then supersedes Buffer Bloat Control. So basically your gaming device then bypasses BB contol.. And all UDP packets are sent to the front of the line. Or are queued to the front bypassing Buffer Bloat Control. Hopefully that makes sense.  

One really doesnt pick one or the other.  Not in this case anyways. Basically if you remove the said gaming device from Traffic Prioritization then it would then be under Buffer Bloat Control again. And all traffic would be buffered. Even UDP packets.  

Theres more to it then what I mentioned but thats basically it in a nut shell..

Im sure Fraser or Liam could explain more if needed for yah!  :) 

Thanks!

Zippy.

Thank you for the quick and detailed response! I love learning about this. So even though it’s one in the same, it serves different functions, correct? It could be just me but it sounds like Traffic Prioritization would be the better option, to have this turned on? But then it seems like the CC sliders do nothing, then, as long as you’ve added the console to Traffic Prio? I could be reading that wrong of course, because I know it wouldn’t be there if there wasn’t a function (while traffic prio is on as well). 

• Administrators

They're both important features, Traffic Prioritization prioritizes your most important traffic i.e. gaming, to do this it bypasses the network queue which means it has to bypass Congestion Control. Congestion Control ensures that your connection does not get saturated and experience bufferbloat which is important for a stable experience.