Why is thr XR700 so crap

As title...

If it reboots all my wifi dont connect saying cannot get IP address

If i change wifi username... and reconnect everything it connects.

Thing is you might think well dont reset the router (not factory reset just a reboot) but we have about 2 powercuts a year here an therefore have no option. When we have a powercut i have to go round reconnecting all 100 devices in my house

And for a £400 router.. this is a joke, my BT router never did this... an thats a free router that comes with my internet

• Administrators

I'd suggest if possible, setting the DHCP start range to .150, then setting reserved IPs for devices (can be the ones they already have) between .2 - .150, apply, then reboot the router from the interface and wait 2 minutes, this will act as a hard save and should prevent the issue happening the next time you lose power.

If you have 100 wifi devices, I don't understand why you run a consumer grade router in the first place. These things are meant to serve a few clients around the house and a few wired devices, that is more or less it.

There is much better options for that money, ie enterprise level AP's that can deal with so many clients no problem.

Mine works fine. I use it for wifi for a few clients, VPN server for my 2nd property to connect to and a backup SMB share in case my main server crashes. Also had power outages, it just restarts and the clients reconnect no issue.

I do have fixed IP adresses for all my stuff except for the wifi clients, that is basically just a few phones and tablets.

You have to understand what a XR700 is meant for, It's not connecting 100 wifi devices around the house. But it's more designed as a low level all in one media streaming device. The 10Gbit SFP+ port is meant to be used with a switch. That way you can add 2 drives to the USB ports, pull full bandwidth off these drivers and your connection between the switch and the router won't be saturated. The 2 LAG ports to connect to a NAS. So same here you can use this either with the 4 other ports & wifi on the router so your transfers will not affect the internet, or use it in conjunction with a 10Gbit link to a switch. This is also the reason it's the only model to feature a Plex install. It's mean't to replace your router and NAS as a complete platform. This was the setting for the R9000, then Netgear came along, flashed DumaOS on it, called it the XR700 and all of a sudden it's a gaming router.

It has the same AC wifi radio's as the XR500. So if you do not use the added options like LAG and SFP+ you are wasting your time with it.

That said, if you really have a 100 devices connecting, one is bound to be a server, pi-hole or NAS or something of that kind. What you can try is using one of those for DHCP, and switch it off on the XR700. Pi-Hole and most NAS can act as DHCP server, if you have any other sort of server they often have the ability as well. I can run DHCP off my Pi-Hole and Win 2016 server. I prefer to keep it at the router though in case the server crashes.