Separate router as AP under XR1000 for alternate QoS

Hi All,

I've seen a few folks asking about what I'm doing but they're generally attaching a gaming console under the AP and not a PC, which is where I'm wanting to clarify using the DMZ or not...

I have ISP problems, 1000 down / 30 up over coax but with signal noise and weakness in a large condo building (it's a long road getting them to address fixing it), so I'll show packet loss and ping spikes with moderate amounts of line load. For whatever reason, my Warzone hit detection is way happier with FQ-CODEL on a crappy DD-WRT router with bandwidth throttled down than it is on the XR1000. Even with similar Ping Plotter results via the XR1000 QoS, the hit detection and responsiveness are night and day for whatever reason with the DD-WRT's FQ-CODEL... Don't ask me why, but I promise it's not placebo.

I'd like to use the XR1000 for wifi and routing for all devices other than my gaming PC, while having access to the geofilter for the (wired) PC but using the R6700v3's QoS setup... I'm going for is this...

WAN -> XR1000 -> R6700v3 -> Gaming PC

I was able to set this up no issue following this for the R6700v3 (https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point), except turning off the radios since it's only an AP for the gaming PC. However most of the comments I see for similar setups here say to put the R6300v3 into the XR1000's DMZ to avoid double nat... When I did that initially I was getting flooded with Remote Access attempts to my R6700v3... If this were a game console at the end of that router I wouldn't sweat it, but since it's a PC (albeit just an expensive COD box at this point), that seems a bit scary to see all those IP crawlers poking my AP.

So do I not need to worry about this, as there's a second layer of protection at the DD-WRT router and those pings should be going nowhere, or should I never place that in the DMZ of the XR1000 since the end client is a PC? Is there any way to have the R6700v3 in the DMZ without it being broadcast for all those remote access attempts?

Appreciate any info!

4 hours ago, jawntronix said:

Hi All,

I've seen a few folks asking about what I'm doing but they're generally attaching a gaming console under the AP and not a PC, which is where I'm wanting to clarify using the DMZ or not...

I have ISP problems, 1000 down / 30 up over coax but with signal noise and weakness in a large condo building (it's a long road getting them to address fixing it), so I'll show packet loss and ping spikes with moderate amounts of line load. For whatever reason, my Warzone hit detection is way happier with FQ-CODEL on a crappy DD-WRT router with bandwidth throttled down than it is on the XR1000. Even with similar Ping Plotter results via the XR1000 QoS, the hit detection and responsiveness are night and day for whatever reason with the DD-WRT's FQ-CODEL... Don't ask me why, but I promise it's not placebo.

I'd like to use the XR1000 for wifi and routing for all devices other than my gaming PC, while having access to the geofilter for the (wired) PC but using the R6700v3's QoS setup... I'm going for is this...

WAN -> XR1000 -> R6700v3 -> Gaming PC

I was able to set this up no issue following this for the R6700v3 (https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point), except turning off the radios since it's only an AP for the gaming PC. However most of the comments I see for similar setups here say to put the R6300v3 into the XR1000's DMZ to avoid double nat... When I did that initially I was getting flooded with Remote Access attempts to my R6700v3... If this were a game console at the end of that router I wouldn't sweat it, but since it's a PC (albeit just an expensive COD box at this point), that seems a bit scary to see all those IP crawlers poking my AP.

So do I not need to worry about this, as there's a second layer of protection at the DD-WRT router and those pings should be going nowhere, or should I never place that in the DMZ of the XR1000 since the end client is a PC? Is there any way to have the R6700v3 in the DMZ without it being broadcast for all those remote access attempts?

Appreciate any info!

Are you seeing these log entries in the XR1000 logs? If so, we see these kind of log entries pop up all the time. It's annoying that they sound so sinister but they are almost always nothing to worry about. Considering you're getting these after DMZing another router, that's like the case here. As you mention, you've also got a second layer of protection there anyway so it's all good!