Wifi performance...still

91Stick

You can look back at my original post on this issue.  I'm not overjoyed with my experience, couldn't fathom spending the additional money to return the shipment and can't morally sell it to a local sucker knowing it doesn't work as expected.  So, I limp along, waiting patiently for the next firmware update to restore my faith...yet alas... firmware fixed nothing.  

Wifi strength is abysmal.  Wifi stability is worse.  I've tried everything I can think of.  I would appreciate some assistance but I don't have time if you ask me to move the antenna or reboot.  It is time to log in, flip some secret switches or I use it for target practice.  

image.png.bcb6b26f5b758e3c100708476ec01ca5.png

I looked at your first post concerning WiFi issues as seen here.

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/37401-wifi-performance/?tab=comments#comment-318622

I see you have posted that your 2.4 channels drops too under this thread as seen here.

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/38145-my-24ghz-network-constantly-drops/

Have you tried to reinstall the firmware over the top followed by a reset so it’s a nice fresh setup?

I know it’s frustrating but when either Fraser or Liam pop in to help it’s best to follow their directions as that’s the only way you will get help just incase you are unlucky to have a hardware issue. 
I’ve been in your position with an XR500 and had to go through all the trouble shooting with NG support who in the end arranged a replacement. 

Stick with the thread to the end. 

7 hours ago, 91Stick said:

You can look back at my original post on this issue.  I'm not overjoyed with my experience, couldn't fathom spending the additional money to return the shipment and can't morally sell it to a local sucker knowing it doesn't work as expected.  So, I limp along, waiting patiently for the next firmware update to restore my faith...yet alas... firmware fixed nothing.  

Wifi strength is abysmal.  Wifi stability is worse.  I've tried everything I can think of.  I would appreciate some assistance but I don't have time if you ask me to move the antenna or reboot.  It is time to log in, flip some secret switches or I use it for target practice.  

Did you factory reset after installing the new firmware?

We'd be happy to troubleshoot this with you, we didn't really do any troubleshooting on your previous post. This will involve us making suggestions and you feeding back with the results, if you don't have time to do this then we'll have to conclude this topic the same way we did the previous one.

Yes, factory reset after installing. Yes, I would appreciate you troubleshooting, but honestly, if you ask me what orientation my antenna are in, I'm out.  I would prefer getting right to error logs.  I have today to work with you. 

57 minutes ago, 91Stick said:

Yes, factory reset after installing. Yes, I would appreciate you troubleshooting, but honestly, if you ask me what orientation my antenna are in, I'm out.  I would prefer getting right to error logs.  I have today to work with you. 

Feel free to send a copy of the logs over if you've experienced any disconnections or dropouts since the last time the router was power cycled. If you haven't, there won't be any information in there.

When you say the Wi-Fi strength is Abysmal, can you quantify that please? What speeds do you expect to receive and and what range are you noticing this drop-off? Please provide as much useful information as possible to speed up the troubleshooting process.

In terms of stability, are you experiencing drops? Is this occurring on all wireless devices? Are wired devices OK when wireless connections drop? Have you reserved IPs for wireless devices? If you haven't, please try and see if these devices still experience connection drops.

Liam, How would you like me to quantify? I can provide signal strength values at set distances if you would like.  If you look at the screen captures included in this string you can see that my 2.4 levels are running around -65 and 5 at around -75.  I can go stand right beside the router and provide you signal strength readings if you'd like.  What I know is that I have line of sight between the router and my son's room door and if he is on his bed he loses signal.  The reason I opted for a new router was for some of the software related functions as I have two sons that like to game and my ISP router wifi is not sufficient.  Sadly, the R2 doesn't even stand up against the ISP router for wifi. 

Sitting at my desk, on my laptop, running 2.4 I am achieving 9 ping, 8.78 down, 13.54 up.  Switching to 5 I achieve 10 ping, 19.15 down, 19.02 up.

I have 500 down, 20 up service.  

If I take the ISP out of bridge mode and use its wifi in this location, same computer, which I did last night to test I achieved 627, 615, 565 down in three consecutive tests. Problem is it doesn't reach the boys bedrooms which was the reason for the purchase. 

log-1638366450788.txt

• Administrators

Go to the Device Manager, click the :menu and then click WiFi Scan, let it run then copy and paste the results into a text file and upload it here please, then we can have the devs take a look at it and see if there is anything helpful that pertains to resolving your issue. How many other WiFi networks are around you roughly and what kind of building are you in, an apartment with a few others, a house etc? 

So go to the hamburger icon, select device manager, then select the hamburger icon next to network map and select the wifi scan. Got it. 

Depending on the device used to capture competing wifi networks there are usually a couple available that are running mixed, 2.4 and 5.  I have surveyed and played with the channels they are using and have selected channels to stay away from competing wifi signals. We are in a house, not overly large, with the router almost as central as I can get it.  I have a plan to move it in the near future to bring it to the very center of the house. 

wifi scan.txt

All 2.4 shut down, need to reboot router to get running again. In the mean time I had a good 15 mins of -69 signal strength. I've resorted to watching tiktok as I can only watch up to 1 min videos before buffering. 

image.thumb.png.2af040a8e1d30b519842a74907c3b677.png

• 3 weeks later...

So…any chance your dev team has determined any reasons why my wifi signal cannot stay connected? You seriously cannot take this long to respond or you are fully aware there are bigger issues. My patience is wearing thin. There is obviously a problem by the number of posts complaining. Can you please get back to me with something, anything, so I can determine if I pursue correction of my issues legally. 
The product I received does not work as intended, does not produce a wifi signal without dropping minute by minute, nevermind the signal strength being a joke. You cannot post that this router provides good coverage for most homes, that is a joke. I cannot get decent signal in the same room. I expect a response by the end of the year, including a plan to make this right, or I pursue legal action. 

6 hours ago, 91Stick said:

So…any chance your dev team has determined any reasons why my wifi signal cannot stay connected? You seriously cannot take this long to respond or you are fully aware there are bigger issues. My patience is wearing thin. There is obviously a problem by the number of posts complaining. Can you please get back to me with something, anything, so I can determine if I pursue correction of my issues legally. 
The product I received does not work as intended, does not produce a wifi signal without dropping minute by minute, nevermind the signal strength being a joke. You cannot post that this router provides good coverage for most homes, that is a joke. I cannot get decent signal in the same room. I expect a response by the end of the year, including a plan to make this right, or I pursue legal action. 

I'll chase this up with the team and see where they got with it, they're very busy at the moment. Of course if you're not happy with the R2 you are also entitled to a return period, feel free to email [email protected] if you'd like to go this route.

7 hours ago, 91Stick said:

So the log file you provided doesn't contain anything very telling, but to address your comment, yes, we are aware that the Wi-Fi on the R2 is not as strong as it could be. 

Does the Wi-Fi appear to be dropping because the signal is too weak? For example, does the signal drop to devices when you are stood right next to the router?

Look at the attachments from Nov 30, Dec 1, Dec 5, where I am capturing the wifi signal strength of both 2.4 and 5 graphed out. It clearly shows how the wifi signal goes to zero repeatedly. I’ve since determined that 2.4 is far worse than 5, no matter the distance. When the wifi is broadcasting the signal is weak, that is an issue and a complaint if it wasn’t continuously dropping. It’s unusable. 
When I first purchased you mentioned that you were aware the wifi strength was weak and had mentioned that you hoped to have this corrected with firmware updates. As such I waited, hoping this would happen. One firmware update has come out, didn’t include wifi signal strength items in the readme, at least not that I saw. As I’ve waited I’ve continued to troubleshoot myself only to determine that it isn’t just strength that is causing my issues. It is a continuous drop of signal. 
I have reached out to returns after troubleshooting myself and had no time left to return in the required timeframe on top of the additional shipping fees to send it back and not get a return. Are you now saying that a return can still proceed? I’m not spending an additional $50 to get nothing back. 
This may not necessarily be tech forum here. Email direct if you’d prefer. 

11 minutes ago, 91Stick said:

Look at the attachments from Nov 30, Dec 1, Dec 5, where I am capturing the wifi signal strength of both 2.4 and 5 graphed out. It clearly shows how the wifi signal goes to zero repeatedly. I’ve since determined that 2.4 is far worse than 5, no matter the distance. When the wifi is broadcasting the signal is weak, that is an issue and a complaint if it wasn’t continuously dropping. It’s unusable. 
When I first purchased you mentioned that you were aware the wifi strength was weak and had mentioned that you hoped to have this corrected with firmware updates. As such I waited, hoping this would happen. One firmware update has come out, didn’t include wifi signal strength items in the readme, at least not that I saw. As I’ve waited I’ve continued to troubleshoot myself only to determine that it isn’t just strength that is causing my issues. It is a continuous drop of signal. 
I have reached out to returns after troubleshooting myself and had no time left to return in the required timeframe on top of the additional shipping fees to send it back and not get a return. Are you now saying that a return can still proceed? I’m not spending an additional $50 to get nothing back. 
This may not necessarily be tech forum here. Email direct if you’d prefer. 

I agree, something certainly isn't right. I believe another user has a similar issue to you and they've captured a log that shows quite a lot, I'm having a developer review this now. As we've confirmed there are issues with your R2, you can email a link to this thread to [email protected] and we can help further with the returns process.