Strict NAT

JoshB

Hey guys I've tried about everything I can think of to get open nat and nothing is really working for me. Playing on pc with windows 10. I have strict nat in everything that I play, most notably destiny 2 and forza horizon 5 now. I recently had new internet installed and it's wireless. Have antenna on the house going to a poe injector that powers it then ethernet out to my r1. I tried upnp with no luck, then I forwarded all the xbox ports and even specific destiny 2 ports, still no luck. I then tried setting up dmz on my pc's IP and it's still showing strict. I'm running 3.0.207 firmware. Anyone have an idea of something I may have missed?

Also I even tried setting my xbox one in dmz and it still shows strict nat. 

13 hours ago, JoshB said:

Hey guys I've tried about everything I can think of to get open nat and nothing is really working for me. Playing on pc with windows 10. I have strict nat in everything that I play, most notably destiny 2 and forza horizon 5 now. I recently had new internet installed and it's wireless. Have antenna on the house going to a poe injector that powers it then ethernet out to my r1. I tried upnp with no luck, then I forwarded all the xbox ports and even specific destiny 2 ports, still no luck. I then tried setting up dmz on my pc's IP and it's still showing strict. I'm running 3.0.207 firmware. Anyone have an idea of something I may have missed?

Also I even tried setting my xbox one in dmz and it still shows strict nat. 

What's the make and model of the modem/router that the R1 connects to? Does it have an interface that you can access?

As far as I know there's no interface. There's a brick that plugs into the wall that says poe injector on it then has ethernet cable going out to the dish for power and data then ethernet going to my router. Nothing else on it besides power specs. I'll attach a pic. 

16367621059491033434571200145385.jpg

• Administrators

It's possible your ISP is using CG-NAT which will make it basically impossible for you to get an Open NAT. First try connecting direct to the POE Injector with your PC, what NAT Type do you get then? If it's not open then follow this https://winbuzzer.com/2020/05/29/windows-10-how-to-tell-if-your-isp-uses-carrier-grade-nat-cg-nat-xcxwbt/ - make sure you do that with the PC connected to the Injector. If you do have a CG-NAT then the only thing you can do to get an Open NAT is to get a static IP with your ISP.

Ok directly connected still gets strict nat and when I ran the test from the link it came back with 3 on the trace so that's my problem. I'll contact my ISP and see if I can get a static IP. Thank you for the help!

Ok I'll admit I don't know a ton about network options and I'm way over my head with these settings. Any ideas on what I should be looking for? I thought maybe like a bridge mode like on a modem but I'm not seeing anything like that.

Also before getting too far ahead, the trace had my gateway, then my IP, then another IP which I assume is the cell tower used. Does that mean I have cg-nat so nothing I do on my end matters anyway?

Ok I looked around and found a guide on how to open ports in it and it's under advanced setup>nat>virtual server. I opened ports for xbox live and am still showing strict nat. Here's what I did. 

Screenshot 2021-11-13 112458.png

• Administrators

Looks like you did port forwarding for a device on the R1 but you have to do it to the R1 WAN IP found on the System Information page which should be the same as the IP on the LAN part in the first photo. Do that and try again

Ok so forward ports to the r1. Did this and still strict. I found the user manual online and looked through, found IP pass-through mode which said it was like bridge mode, but when I enabled it I didn't have any connection at all. Connection said active but I had no internet.

Screenshot 2021-11-13 120446.png

Ok thanks for the help. Still no change so I'll call and set up a static IP, was really hoping not to since they charge $20/month for it calling it the "gamer package". So I guess they know it's an issue and charge to fix it like that lol

23 minutes ago, JoshB said:

Ok thanks for the help. Still no change so I'll call and set up a static IP, was really hoping not to since they charge $20/month for it calling it the "gamer package". So I guess they know it's an issue and charge to fix it like that lol

The fact that your WAN IP is showing as a 10. tells me it's definitely carrier grade NAT. Not much you can do with that other than get them to give you a normal IP.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, JoshB said:

Yeah sounds like they do know what they've done and are monetizing it unfortunately as there is no specific reason you'd need a static IP as a gamer otherwise. I'm assuming because you have an antenna that your options for internet are limited and so you couldn't go with another company instead?

For the past 10 years I've been stuck with 1.5mb down dsl that I rarely got full speed on. They just started offering this in my area so I jumped on it. Works great for streaming and such, and typically works fine for games until I want to play with friends then it's a hassle to get connected in parties. Not the biggest deal but I'll call them up and get a static IP. Question about that. Once I get a static IP should my nat be open then without alot of hassle? Maybe forwarding ports.

Been going back and forth with ISP trying to get static IP set up, I guess there were issues on their end and finally this morning it's working. I added the R1 WAN IP into the dmz like you said and it seems to be working great, have open nat on xbox and pc now. Thank you for all the assistance!

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, JoshB said:

Been going back and forth with ISP trying to get static IP set up, I guess there were issues on their end and finally this morning it's working. I added the R1 WAN IP into the dmz like you said and it seems to be working great, have open nat on xbox and pc now. Thank you for all the assistance!

Ahh that's brilliant to hear, thanks for the update, you're very welcome! I'll close this topic now as it is resolved, if you have any other questions or issues feel free to open another topic and we'll be happy to help.