Speedtest not working XR500

Ok, so I upgraded to 1gig internet (cable).  New modem (Motorola MB8611) activated via ISP.

When I run a speedtest upon a factory reset on my XR500 (V.2.3.2.120), It shows 950mb down, 42 up, in the start-up wizard.  After I set-up the rest of my configurations; if I run another speedtest under the QOS burger menu , I am getting 200-400 down, 40-42 up. I kept on getting the slower results before attempting a factory reset.

I have tried disabling QOS and selecting "never" under Congestion Control- it yields the same results; slower download speeds.

My other configurations:  Disable IPv6, change router address to 192.168.88.1 (idk why, lol), fix device names/categories, add PS5 to dmz 

I know a console speedtest is not accurate, but when I run one on my PS5, I get 850-950mb/s.  I mention that because when I run a connection benchmark test on the XR500 (V.2.3.2.120), I get a "D" for speed because the start-up clocked my speed at 950, but the benchmark test returns 350-400mb/s.

What do I do to fix the speed issues?  I should also mention that I did follow the Optimal Settings Guide for Maximum Bandwidth

I did try speedtest.net , speedof.me , and dslreports.com/speedtest

All wired and wireless

Wired the results were all slow (280-300)

Wireless results were better at around 500

I did change dmz for PS5. Made router address 192.168.88.1 (old r1, used to it)

I've returned the Motorola modem. Currently activating new Netgear nighthawk cm2000. Will update when I get some results

So the new modem is up and running.  Same results...

I have a tech visit scheduled for Friday- hopefully it is an isp issue

If it is not, where do we go from here? Is there a firmware downgrade I could try? Can we do any sort of diagnostic check on my xr500 remotely?

• Administrators

Okay so breaking it down, the router seems to be getting the speeds itself but having trouble passing it on to devices. This could be due to settings, the easiest way to tell would be if you had an extra router you could put infront of the XR, then put the XR in AP mode, it will disable DumaOS - if the issue is still there then it is in Netgear settings or the hardware - if not then it's something in DumaOS. Is that something you have the capability to do?

No, the router isn't getting the speeds it should be getting, at least via the GUI.  The only time I've seen the router get a majority of the bandwidth I should be getting is upon factory reset > set-up wizard.  I say majority because it will set at 900-950mb/s, but the speeds I should be getting are 1200mb/s+.

Unfortunately I don't have another router that can support the speeds that I upgraded to.  Would that still be viable to do?

What I see is that my PS5 (wired) is getting 800mb/s, but everything else is 300-400mb/s (wired). Phone via wi-fi is 600-700mb/s.  All of this with no throttling with Congestion Control, and with sharing, never ticked, QoS disabled, etc.

All of this is true with all 3 brand new modems I've tried.  If tech sees that levels are correct, then I would assume it would be an issue on the XR500

Edit: I will power cycle new modem and connect directly to laptop this evening to see if bandwidth is where it needs to be on ISP end.  I did this on the previous 2 Motorola Modems i purchased and returned, but not on the new Nighthawk modem.

Edited by Keith

3 minutes ago, Newfie said:

1 gig is the limit on the XR1000, you will not see 1.2gigs. 

So what are my limitations on the xr500?

• Administrators

Yes exactly so before the router is setup with its standard settings its seeing 900-950Mbps. As above, the ports are limited to 1Gbps so the max you will see is 950Mbps. If the other router suppers up to 1Gbps then yes that would be fine. The PS5 is a very new device and it's getting good speeds, are the other wired devices older at all? What do those devices get direct to the modem?

I had a tech come on Friday.

He tested everything and it is not in the ISP's end. He showed me on his equipment, while connected to my modem, that he was pulling 1300mbs. I am just wondering why the modem (cax30 Netgear nighthawk gateway - docsis 3.1) and the xr500 gui speed test is not showing the correct bandwidth. This was true with only the router, combination of xr500 in ap mode, modem only with bridge mode .

My other devices are older, so testing with them is not possible. When my PS5 is showing 800mbs, and my router is showing 280-400, something needs to be optimized in the settings, right?

All in all, I'm not really too concerned about it, but for congestion control, it would be nice to have the appropriate settings on my bandwidth.

27 minutes ago, Keith said:

I had a tech come on Friday.

He tested everything and it is not in the ISP's end. He showed me on his equipment, while connected to my modem, that he was pulling 1300mbs. I am just wondering why the modem (cax30 Netgear nighthawk gateway - docsis 3.1) and the xr500 gui speed test is not showing the correct bandwidth. This was true with only the router, combination of xr500 in ap mode, modem only with bridge mode .

My other devices are older, so testing with them is not possible. When my PS5 is showing 800mbs, and my router is showing 280-400, something needs to be optimized in the settings, right?

All in all, I'm not really too concerned about it, but for congestion control, it would be nice to have the appropriate settings on my bandwidth.

I believe they are working to improve the routers internal speed test. The nighthawk app also has the ability to run a speed test which I think runs direct from the router.