Jump to content

Different speeds on speedtest


xyz
 Share

Recommended Posts

I just got 1gig internet and connected my PC straight to the the equipment that was provided to me and I get in the 930-950 speeds. When I connect it to the Netduma R2 and run a speed test on the same site, I get anywhere from 500 to 830. Is there something that I have to change on the netduma?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
9 hours ago, xyz said:

I just got 1gig internet and connected my PC straight to the the equipment that was provided to me and I get in the 930-950 speeds. When I connect it to the Netduma R2 and run a speed test on the same site, I get anywhere from 500 to 830. Is there something that I have to change on the netduma?

How are you testing the speeds? Through Connection Benchmark or a third part speed-test?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

How are you testing the speeds? Through Connection Benchmark or a third part speed-test?

Hey Liam. I'm running both test from speedtest.net and it gives me different speeds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, xyz said:

Hey Liam. I'm running both test from speedtest.net and it gives me different speeds

Are you aware of what kind of ethernet cables you have? I would use CAT 6 or above. I recently upgraded to CAT 8.. i know CAT 8 is overkill but i figured go for it since that is the best possible. Oh and dont use ethernet cables from Walmart i learned that the hard way haha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
10 hours ago, xyz said:

Hey Liam. I'm running both test from speedtest.net and it gives me different speeds

Good suggestion above, could you also please try completely disabling QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control, then re-test your speeds?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, zman1156 said:

Are you aware of what kind of ethernet cables you have? I would use CAT 6 or above. I recently upgraded to CAT 8.. i know CAT 8 is overkill but i figured go for it since that is the best possible. Oh and dont use ethernet cables from Walmart i learned that the hard way haha.

I dont see why that would have anything to do with it if im using the same cable when connected to the router that was provided by my ISP and getting the 2 different speeds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Good suggestion above, could you also please try completely disabling QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control, then re-test your speeds?

QoS has always been on never

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, xyz said:

I dont see why that would have anything to do with it if im using the same cable when connected to the router that was provided by my ISP and getting the 2 different speeds.

Certain cables support different speeds that's why. Also i know that my ISP provided CAT 5E and while those are supposed to support up to 1Gbps its best to run at least CAT 6.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, zman1156 said:

Also, be a good idea to make sure your ethernet adapter drivers are up to date. Not a huge deal but will help in performance. :):):) 

lol i get all that but what im saying is that with the same exact cable im getting higher speeds when im connected to my isp provided router and with that same cable i get slower speeds on the R2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you run your speed tests are they connecting to the same server ie it’s location?

What happens if you run a test on DSLreports to check purely your speeds?

Whats your isp equipment and how’s it all connected, ie DMZ or bridge and so on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

To be sure, you'll need to completely disable it from the three-line menu in Congestion Control. Some elements can still be active even when set to never.

As in everything grayed out right? Thats how ive always had it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 10/21/2021 at 10:42 PM, Newfie said:

When you run your speed tests are they connecting to the same server ie it’s location?

What happens if you run a test on DSLreports to check purely your speeds?

Whats your isp equipment and how’s it all connected, ie DMZ or bridge and so on?

Sorry for the long delay on responding. Here are the screen caps from Speedtest.net and dslreports when connected to my R2 router. 

image.png.f639299bbb29c2cfe5ef883f4745bc00.png

image.png.4b92d043e76f40149cbc42828b3c00b2.png

 

And here is connected straight to my ISP provided router:

 

image.png.327056df43924b620a1fb6f9670eb03b.png

image.thumb.png.790413f1ad2e18412c53c47e73ef2a28.png

 

As far as the other question about DMZ or bridge I'm not sure. Im on spectrum in Los Angeles and I dont have any access to that info on t he ISP provided router. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
7 hours ago, xyz said:

Sorry for the long delay on responding. Here are the screen caps from Speedtest.net and dslreports when connected to my R2 router. 

And here is connected straight to my ISP provided router:

As far as the other question about DMZ or bridge I'm not sure. Im on spectrum in Los Angeles and I dont have any access to that info on t he ISP provided router. 

OK, so they're about 20% lower. Is this with QoS completely disabled? Are your speeds set correctly in DumaOS? What are your Connection Benchmark results?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK, so they're about 20% lower. Is this with QoS completely disabled? Are your speeds set correctly in DumaOS? What are your Connection Benchmark results?

Well, seems like it was totally my fault. I thought that disabling QoS was just clicking Never on congestion control. I went in after you asked this  and started clicking around and saw the option to turn off QoS and did that and now I'm getting the same speeds as directly to the isp modem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...