Constantly get double NAT while using VPN on R2

Backpack

I use ExpressVPN and about 50% of the time, after setting my location, I get a double NAT. What is causing this? Would setting a static IP for my xbox correct the issue? Without using the VPN my NAT is always open. If giving the xbox a static IP would help, how do I do that?

4 hours ago, Backpack said:

I use ExpressVPN and about 50% of the time, after setting my location, I get a double NAT. What is causing this? Would setting a static IP for my xbox correct the issue? Without using the VPN my NAT is always open. If giving the xbox a static IP would help, how do I do that?

Where are you seeing this? In the menus in your console or in-game? If it's in-game, it may just be a misreading.

9 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Where are you seeing this? In the menus in your console or in-game? If it's in-game, it may just be a misreading.

It is in the network settings of my console. When it happens it wont allow me to connect to any online games.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

This is just due to using a VPN, nothing you can do from the router settings. Using a gaming focused VPN may allow for an OpenVPN but it is hard due to the nature of using a VPN

Ok, thank you. That kind of makes me feel a bit better about it weirdly lol. Might give NolagVPN a go. 

you can not have a open nat type with vpn, thats just the vpn doing its job. most people use vpn now for gaming and dont know what vpn actually does. NolagVPN is not a real vpn service and only works for PC

1 hour ago, dpk_ydv said:

Some VPN's like NoLag VPN have UPNP function, so its possible to have open NAT even with some VPN's. @TODDzillaInLA NoLag VPN works with hybrid VPN setup on Netduma.

no lag vpn not a real vpn has no security just allows you to change your region, Hybrid vpn is for players with console that cant run the vpn app on a pc. also hybrid vpn is so all devices behind your duma to be on the vpn and not just the pc the app is running on, no lag vpn will not work on hybrid unfotintly its not a real vpn service

9 minutes ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

no lag vpn not a real vpn has no security just allows you to change your region, Hybrid vpn is for players with console that cant run the vpn app on a pc. also hybrid vpn is so all devices behind your duma to be on the vpn and not just the pc the app is running on, no lag vpn will not work on hybrid unfotintly its not a real vpn service

Nolagvpn is weird. I had tried it, and it does "work" via the HybridVPN, and my location in game does show the location I choose via the VPN, but every time I join a game it puts me on a server close to my true location, and when you use the geofilter to filter out servers outside of your selected location, it just doesnt find you a game. So I think nolag is a scam that tricks people into thinking that they are getting low ping while in a different location, but thanks to the duma, I can see its not actually giving me games in that location. 

Also, to what @dpk_ydv was saying regarding the NAT, while it does "work" via hybridvpn like I said above, it still doesnt give me an open NAT, it still shows as moderate/double NAT.

So far since making this post, I've tried ExpressVPN, NolagVPN, and also NordVPN. I was optimistic about Nord being that it uses a static IP so I thought that might give me an open NAT, but it definitely didn't and my ping and lag was by far the absolute worst of the options. EpressVPN is winning so far for me, but if anyone has any other suggestions, please fire away.

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

@Backpack you could try VyprVPN, they're a gaming VPN and have port forwarding so it's possible you may be able to achieve an OpenNAT with them

Dude. This worked perfectly. I have an open NAT, it's extremely smooth, they have you download a zip file of all of the openvpn config files so you don't have to download them individually, and also so much cheaper than all others I've seen. Amazing, thank you very much!

6 hours ago, Backpack said:

Dude. This worked perfectly. I have an open NAT, it's extremely smooth, they have you download a zip file of all of the openvpn config files so you don't have to download them individually, and also so much cheaper than all others I've seen. Amazing, thank you very much!

Awesome, thanks for letting us know.