XR300 Lag Spikes and no priority upload packets showing

So I have had this XR300 for over a year now and mainly play Fifa 21 and Modern Warfare on PS4 Pro and PS5.  The last couple of weeks I am getting lag spikes of 300ms+ in each match for a few seconds throughout the match on Fifa 21 and Modern Warfare is no longer playing right either having to sometimes use a whole mag to kill someone. My Ping when connecting to Fifa is showing always between 12-24ms.  I had my ps4 Pro setup in the DMZ and for Traffic Priority I had it selected as Playstation Games Console.  I now have the PS5 setup in the DMZ.  Both consoles (only one is every connected at any one time) connect via LAN which goes through a router which is acting as an extender.

I cannot understand why there are no priority upload packets showing when I use instructions start: 1-65535 dest: 1-65535 TCP/UDP or start: 1-65535 dest: 3074-65535 TCP/UDP. If I use start: 1-65535 dest: 1-65535 TCP/UDP then the traffic light will come on and stay on as soon as the PS5 is switched on but if I use start: 1-65535 dest: 3074-65535 TCP/UDP the traffic light will only come on once Fifa 21 or Modern Warfare is loading and turns back off the moment the game is closed but whichever rules I use, there will be no high priority packets uploaded. If I have the PS5 selected just as Games Console the light will not come on.

My connection is through the phone line with BT Down 75mb, Up 20mb and I live quite close to the exchange. At the moment I am getting a max of 60mb which is why I used the settings as I have in Anti buffer bloat.

I used DSL Reports directly via the PS5 and the best setup I could get was 65-65 on the anti buffer (I have it set to When High Priority Detected) bloat and the results for that was Down 42ms    Upload 44ms    Download Sample (red) 68ms   Upload Sample (red) 62ms. DSL Reports gives it Quality A+ Overall A+ whilst the Bufferbloat and Speed is Grey -- but when I click on results Bufferbloat shows as A. For the port forwarding I just added those rules this morning COD1 COD2 COD3 but it did not make any difference.

The Ping Blotter  is from my Laptop over wifi with no other activity on the home network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

traffic prio off.png

antibuffer.png

geo search.png

ping blotter.png

wan setup.png

port forwarding.png

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

You don't need to use port forwarding and DMZ at the same time. The DMZ passes all traffic to the device and as such I wouldn't recommend using it for the console as it is a security risk. If you get an Open NAT by just using UPnP then that is all that is needed. There is a bit of a bug on Traffic Prio so this is probably what you're seeing. Also you have two different PS devices added there, have you added the correct one? Switch NAT to Secured in WAN Settings also please that may make the feature work.

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

You don't need to use port forwarding and DMZ at the same time. The DMZ passes all traffic to the device and as such I wouldn't recommend using it for the console as it is a security risk. If you get an Open NAT by just using UPnP then that is all that is needed. There is a bit of a bug on Traffic Prio so this is probably what you're seeing. Also you have two different PS devices added there, have you added the correct one? Switch NAT to Secured in WAN Settings also please that may make the feature work.

When I had it just in the DMZ with no rules the traffic light would not come on. It was only when I created the rules that the traffic light started to work except for the upload.

Yes I have the correct Playstation console selected.

2 hours ago, Nonleague10 said:

When I had it just in the DMZ with no rules the traffic light would not come on. It was only when I created the rules that the traffic light started to work except for the upload.

Yes I have the correct Playstation console selected.

What's the make and model of the router you're using as an extender? Does it have a specific AP mode that you're using or is it still functioning as a regular router? If so, this may be the cause of the issues you're having.

49 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

What's the make and model of the router you're using as an extender? Does it have a specific AP mode that you're using or is it still functioning as a regular router? If so, this may be the cause of the issues you're having.

It does the same thing even when I connect directly to the XR300. The XR300 is my main Router but the router which you asked about is a 

Trendnet N600 Dual Band Wireless Router
TEW-752DRU

11 minutes ago, Nonleague10 said:

It does the same thing even when I connect directly to the XR300. The XR300 is my main Router but the router which you asked about is a 

Trendnet N600 Dual Band Wireless Router
TEW-752DRU

OK great thanks, were you not able to get an Open NAT with just UPNP enabled and no DMZ/Port forwarding rules? That's the ideal configuration.

39 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK great thanks, were you not able to get an Open NAT with just UPNP enabled and no DMZ/Port forwarding rules? That's the ideal configuration.

The connection when using UPNP was bad so I switched that off and went DMZ. Even with UPNP I did not get any High Priority Upload packets.  What else could be causing this?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Nonleague10 said:

The connection when using UPNP was bad so I switched that off and went DMZ. Even with UPNP I did not get any High Priority Upload packets.  What else could be causing this?

Is that with the NAT switched back to Secured? There is a bug with that feature and could be affecting Traffic Prio.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is that with the NAT switched back to Secured? There is a bug with that feature and could be affecting Traffic Prio.

Yes that was with the NAT on secured. I only changed that the other day to unsecure when I was trying to see what I could do.

Can you tell me how exactly you recommend  I set it up given everything I have shown you for my PS5 to be getting traffic priority for gaming on my home network which can sometimes have up to 6 devices on it at any one time.

21 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Leave UPnP on, DMZ disabled, port forwarding disabled, NAT Filtering Secured

So I did all exactly like you said and still no High Priority Upload packets being sent.  Gameplay feels worse with UPNP on as well, although it is still in NAT 2 and the traffic light is working when the PS5 is detected and then when a game is detected.

30 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you changed any settings on the PS itself, e.g. manual network settings at all? Are you using manual DNS on the router or changed any other settings?

I'm using 8:8:8:8 and 8:8:4:4 DNS and it's set to get ip automatically but it's static at 192.168.1.18.  The router is also doing this on my PS4 when I try it with that. I reckon this router is faulty or doesn't work with the software/firmware properly as thinking about it I can never remember it showing priority upload packets ever being sent.

Try using the XR300 first firmware version. Seemed to fix all my problems. Make sure to factory reset in administration before hand, also, set your pc as a playstation in device manager first, then reboot the router, then when it is on reboot the pc. Traffic prio should work perfectly now and also the geofilter if you've been having problems with it as well. 

18 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Use automatic settings on the console and change the DNS back to the default, reboot from the interface and try again please

It is on automatic settings. It always detects my ip as 192.168.1.18. I changed the dns to automatic and still the same outcome. Is the router functioning properly even though it's not showing any priority packets? Is it a visual error or does it mean that my upload packets really are not being sent as priority?

16 hours ago, xMako3 said:

Try using the XR300 first firmware version. Seemed to fix all my problems. Make sure to factory reset in administration before hand, also, set your pc as a playstation in device manager first, then reboot the router, then when it is on reboot the pc. Traffic prio should work perfectly now and also the geofilter if you've been having problems with it as well. 

How do I downgrade firmware and in doing so what will I be missing? When you did this did you notice a performance increase?

36 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If the High Priority light is appearing then it does indicate it's more of a visual issue. Downgrade the same way you upgrade, just download an older firmware version and upload it to the router

What will I lose out on by downgrading from the up to date one that I have? Just wondering if it's better to do that or not

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Nonleague10 said:

What will I lose out on by downgrading from the up to date one that I have? Just wondering if it's better to do that or not

You'll mainly be missing out on security and stability updates so you won't lose features

Could you please keep me posted on how things go if reverting to an older firmware helps you out by any chance? I also have constant problems with upload packets in particular, and seemingly unfixable shoot first/die first and poor hitreg in Warzone. I posted a while ago and it fixed it for a while, but I didn't really press the issue further as I believed DumaOS 3.0 was on the horizon and hoped it would improve things... as it stands though, the XR300 still has no beta as far as I'm aware, even though DumaOS 3.0 released like 14 months ago? It's hard not to feel disappointed at this stage, especially considering most of, if not all, the other routers have betas available.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:51 PM, Squizz said:

Could you please keep me posted on how things go if reverting to an older firmware helps you out by any chance? I also have constant problems with upload packets in particular, and seemingly unfixable shoot first/die first and poor hitreg in Warzone. I posted a while ago and it fixed it for a while, but I didn't really press the issue further as I believed DumaOS 3.0 was on the horizon and hoped it would improve things... as it stands though, the XR300 still has no beta as far as I'm aware, even though DumaOS 3.0 released like 14 months ago? It's hard not to feel disappointed at this stage, especially considering most of, if not all, the other routers have betas available.

Yeah I understand were you're coming from. I paid £129 for this router and for it to not be working how it should is a bit disheartening. I am not sure if I will revert back to the original firmware if it is just a visual issue but like you, I have issues on Modern Warfare and Fifa 21.  Let me know if you find anything that works for you.

Thank you Fraser for your help.