XR1000 issues

Hello everyone! New member but I have been trolling the forums for a while waiting for a fix for this router. I upgraded from an XR700 to a XR1000. However, I seem to keep having the same issues that I am reading about on this forum with the XR1000 dropping devices and such. Rebooting fixes the issues for a short time but I seem to be doing that at least once a week if not once every day or two. I am running the latest firmware, I just seem to keep having issues that I feel should be resolved by now. I have Factory Reset the unit at least 5 times since I purchased it in late April. I've toggled MU-MIMO off and on, gave static addresses and have done a lot of other recommendations that I have seen suggested here. I also do not use smart-connect as I feel like I do not need it. Another issue that I seem to encounter is when rebooting (unplugging the unit and my modem for 10 seconds and re-applying power) is that it totally forgets my network settings. This has also happened twice without my knowledge (in the middle of the night) too and was maybe triggered by a loss of power at my house from a storm. My networks disappear and it reverts my settings to open connections with the default password for router administration with the networks NETGEAR and NETGEAR-5G. It isn't the initial setup up network (default network that the router comes with) name either, it is totally open connections that anyone would be able to connect to.  I feel like this is a huge security issue as anyone would be able to log into my network. I have multiple crashes in Duma trying to correct this and ultimately end up performing a factory reset which reverts it to the locked NETGEAR57 login with the factory password. I don't know if all the problems are connected, but I would love to not have to do such extensive network maintenance on such a high end product. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Ideally you shouldn't reboot by suddenly cutting the power but make your settings and reboot the router from the interface. This will act as a hard save and the next time you pull the power or lose power then your settings should be saved. Regards to disconnections is it wireless devices only or do wired devices experience it as well. When it happens do you still have access to the interface? If so does System Information show you a WAN IP?

Actually wondering why you switched a XR700 for a XR1000. The XR700 wifi is quite solid and in terms of raw power and connectivity is actually ahead of the XR1000. XR1000 is more the follow up to the XR500 rather than the XR700.

28 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ideally you shouldn't reboot by suddenly cutting the power but make your settings and reboot the router from the interface. This will act as a hard save and the next time you pull the power or lose power then your settings should be saved. Regards to disconnections is it wireless devices only or do wired devices experience it as well. When it happens do you still have access to the interface? If so does System Information show you a WAN IP?

Thanks for the warm welcome.

As for the reset issues, I can't get to the interface when I am experiencing them to reset it that way. My PC and Netgear App won't connect to the interface when the issues are present.  I've tried using the reset button on the unit but it only fixes the connectivity issues about 50% of the time. I get the "can't get an IP" error when it happens too. Sometimes the reset works, sometimes not. I have also created a backup config file of my settings but every time I try to revert settings with it it fails and I need to do a factory reset. As soon as the dashboard loads, it says the I am disconnected so I can't alter any settings. I always reboot the Modem when doing a power cycle too because that has seemed to help resolve IP issues but not always. I am only connected via WiFi and do not have anything currently plugged into the router. The next time I have an issue though, I can plug my Laptop in and see if I can duplicate the problem when hardwired. As for the WAN IP, I can't tell because I have no way to get to the dashboard to see what is going on. Thanks for the info.

48 minutes ago, Bert said:

Actually wondering why you switched a XR700 for a XR1000. The XR700 wifi is quite solid and in terms of raw power and connectivity is actually ahead of the XR1000. XR1000 is more the follow up to the XR500 rather than the XR700.

I switched to get some of the newer features like AX and the new Duma OS. My buddy was also in need of a router at the moment so he got my XR700 when I went to the XR1000.

This is the current screen I am getting right now too. I pull up Routerlogin.net, input my credentials a get the dashboard for 3 or 4 seconds then get disconnected. My internet and WiFi are currently working correctly but I cannot access the dashboard. 

Login Info.jpg

• Administrators

Do see if the ethernet device works that would be good to know. What is the model of your ISP modem/router? When you get that router page connect to the interface using the IP instead, does that allow access? Also can you provide a screenshot of your WiFi settings please?

Running my laptop with a hardline via ethernet to port one and trying to do routerlogin.net gives me the same error. 3-4 seconds then disconnecting. Using 192.168.1.1 does allow it to work though so I am back into the dashboard. The Modem is from Spectrum Communications with a model number of EN2251 made by Hitron Technologies, Inc. I asked Spectrum to disable the radio in it though as I would be using it as an access point for my own Router. I only have the Power light and the Online light illuminated on it. I blocked out my WiFi passwords as it is my personal phone number and it a 10 digit numerical code. 

WiFi 1.jpg

WiFi 2.jpg

WiFi 3.jpg

Edited by Netduma Fraser
Removed for safety

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Change WiFi mode to use 2400Mbps instead of 4800Mbps and see if the WiFi is better.

Do you know whether you have a static or dynamic public IP?

I will change it but the WiFi is stellar until it seems to have a hiccup. I'm pretty sure it is Dynamic coming from my ISP.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do change the option as that has fixed it for other people with similar issues, change that and then let us know how you get on - I do suspect that will likely be the fix

I will change it shortly and keep you updated if I have more issues with it.

I am still concerned about it dropping security and reverting to open networks though. Has this been an issue before? I do not keep the saved addresses for the open network on any of my devices or computers so I am not worried about them connecting to an unsecured network. I am just worried about people being able to get on my network without my knowledge. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, jimjoe said:

I will change it shortly and keep you updated if I have more issues with it.

I am still concerned about it dropping security and reverting to open networks though. Has this been an issue before? I do not keep the saved addresses for the open network on any of my devices or computers so I am not worried about them connecting to an unsecured network. I am just worried about people being able to get on my network without my knowledge. 

That will be because you've unplugged it and caused a sudden loss in power it's partially reset itself, so do the reboot via the interface after you've changed your settings. Wait for it to boot up and then you can try unplugging it and settings should have been saved

That’s a bug on Netgears side if it reverts to an open network after a power outage and it’s not great either. If you still have support you could log it with support in the hope they can replicate the issue or at least let them know it’s an issue. 

• 2 years later...
On 6/27/2021 at 4:57 PM, Newfie said:

That’s a bug on Netgears side if it reverts to an open network after a power outage and it’s not great either. If you still have support you could log it with support in the hope they can replicate the issue or at least let them know it’s an issue. 

I just wanted to say I experienced exactly the same thing today, 2 years later, after what i presume was a sudden power loss. I thought I had been hacked at first before I saw this thread. I am very disappointed that this bug is not taken more seriously by Netgear since it concerns a serious security issue. And yes I have the latest firmware.

• Administrators
On 11/22/2023 at 2:04 PM, Eldrik said:

I just wanted to say I experienced exactly the same thing today, 2 years later, after what i presume was a sudden power loss. I thought I had been hacked at first before I saw this thread. I am very disappointed that this bug is not taken more seriously by Netgear since it concerns a serious security issue. And yes I have the latest firmware.

It is a shame I agree, please do the workaround mentioned and you shouldn't notice it again.

On 11/23/2023 at 4:36 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

It is a shame I agree, please do the workaround mentioned and you shouldn't notice it again.

I threw away the router. The power loss happened while I was at work and it took 6 hours before I discovered the problem. 6 hours when my network was wide open for anyone to connect to. I've also rebooted the router several times since doing the network settings but that obviously didn't fix the problem.

Unfortunately, I cannot trust a company that ignores such a serious security flaw, even though it has been known for years. It makes you wonder if there are more serious flaws that are not as visible to the user.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Eldrik said:

I threw away the router. The power loss happened while I was at work and it took 6 hours before I discovered the problem. 6 hours when my network was wide open for anyone to connect to. I've also rebooted the router several times since doing the network settings but that obviously didn't fix the problem.

Unfortunately, I cannot trust a company that ignores such a serious security flaw, even though it has been known for years. It makes you wonder if there are more serious flaws that are not as visible to the user.

Ah the reboot, I thought you were referring to the disconnects. For the reboot, I imagine it's either if the router is connected to an extender it may perform better direct to an outlet or the power adapter may be faulty. Otherwise it could be overheating if there isn't enough clearance under the vents/if it's on a surface such as a carpet which may insulate it.

27 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ah the reboot, I thought you were referring to the disconnects. For the reboot, I imagine it's either if the router is connected to an extender it may perform better direct to an outlet or the power adapter may be faulty. Otherwise it could be overheating if there isn't enough clearance under the vents/if it's on a surface such as a carpet which may insulate it.

? I am referreing to the fact that the router dropped the security on the wifi networks after a sudden power loss as mentioned by ts.

"Another issue that I seem to encounter is when rebooting (unplugging the unit and my modem for 10 seconds and re-applying power) is that it totally forgets my network settings. This has also happened twice without my knowledge (in the middle of the night) too and was maybe triggered by a loss of power at my house from a storm. My networks disappear and it reverts my settings to open connections with the default password for router administration with the networks NETGEAR and NETGEAR-5G."

• Administrators
On 6/26/2021 at 8:26 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you perform this step at all?

45 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you perform this step at all?

"I've also rebooted the router several times since doing the network settings but that obviously didn't fix the problem."

This security flaw is not answered or solved with a sketchy workaround which apparently does not work in all cases.

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, Eldrik said:

"I've also rebooted the router several times since doing the network settings but that obviously didn't fix the problem."

This security flaw is not answered or solved with a sketchy workaround which apparently does not work in all cases.

Unfortunately I think that's a Netgear issue as we don't have any input on the device settings such as WiFi, I would suggest if you're able to, to contact Netgear support and see if they have any suggestions.

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Unfortunately I think that's a Netgear issue as we don't have any input on the device settings such as WiFi, I would suggest if you're able to, to contact Netgear support and see if they have any suggestions.

The input is that the router had WPA2 on the wifi networks and dropped these settings to open network after the power loss. I never used open network as a setting before and not even a factory reset leaves the networks without any security. This is just crazy and a very serious design and security flaw. Especially since TS experienced exactly the same thing two years without any action from the manufactor.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Eldrik said:

The input is that the router had WPA2 on the wifi networks and dropped these settings to open network after the power loss. I never used open network as a setting before and not even a factory reset leaves the networks without any security. This is just crazy and a very serious design and security flaw. Especially since TS experienced exactly the same thing two years without any action from the manufactor.

What I mean is, we (Netduma) have not coded anything on the Settings side of things, it's all done by Netgear so it would have to be them that fix it, I haven't seen the issue occur too much so I suspect it's something they have been unable to reproduce but if you contact them directly they may have a solution in the meantime.