XR1000 issues

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What I mean is, we (Netduma) have not coded anything on the Settings side of things, it's all done by Netgear so it would have to be them that fix it, I haven't seen the issue occur too much so I suspect it's something they have been unable to reproduce but if you contact them directly they may have a solution in the meantime.

Right it is always someone elses fault. In reality though it becomes both your own and Netgears problem, since your name is being so clearly fronted to the end user. Maybe I would not have been so skeptical about it if the experience otherwise with duma had been ok. One firmware update messed up the entire configuration of the router showing nothing but a cryptical error message, just to mention one example.

I would say it is inconclusive whose fault it is to this date without an in depth investigation, but it does not matter. You still have a lot of more power than the end user to do something about it since I am guessing Netgear is not using your software in their routers for free. If I  owned a company I would also not want my business to be associated with ignored security flaws no matter whose fault it is.

On 11/25/2023 at 6:44 AM, Eldrik said:

Right it is always someone elses fault. In reality though it becomes both your own and Netgears problem, since your name is being so clearly fronted to the end user. Maybe I would not have been so skeptical about it if the experience otherwise with duma had been ok. One firmware update messed up the entire configuration of the router showing nothing but a cryptical error message, just to mention one example.

I would say it is inconclusive whose fault it is to this date without an in depth investigation, but it does not matter. You still have a lot of more power than the end user to do something about it since I am guessing Netgear is not using your software in their routers for free. If I  owned a company I would also not want my business to be associated with ignored security flaws no matter whose fault it is.

Hi, sorry to hear you had this issue. It really should not be like that. I’m surprised it’s not fixed as it’s a serious flaw. No router should revert to an open network. The only work around is a power back up that cuts in on a power outage but again it’s not ideal and the consumer should not be liable to pay for items to work around flaws.

what routers have you looked at as a replacement.

2 hours ago, Newfie said:

Hi, sorry to hear you had this issue. It really should not be like that. I’m surprised it’s not fixed as it’s a serious flaw. No router should revert to an open network. The only work around is a power back up that cuts in on a power outage but again it’s not ideal and the consumer should not be liable to pay for items to work around flaws.

what routers have you looked at as a replacement.

Thanks, I have been using the internet and network equipment for approx 25 years now and I have never experienced routers behaving this way after a sudden power loss. I would have had some understanding if it reverted to factory settings or just dropped dead but this is just crazy and totally unacceptable. It is not great marketing for neither Netgear or Duma.

I bought a new router of a completly different brand. I am not going to touch anything that have the Netgear or Duma logo attached to it ever again. At least not until I get a valid explanation and root cause analysis.

I have had the same issue with my router and i would say every 6 month or so. this has happened 3-4 times and once i witness this as i work from home and see it reboot it self and came back with default wifi names of netgear. when i set it back up and done a restart (in the website) it then reformatted it self back to factory settings. but i put this down to all the settings i changed in one go. 
No loose of power as it is only this router it happened to and my other AP, modem and so no do not loose power. 

I also noticed my router every 2 weeks or so it will reboot/restart itself on it own. i put this down to it is doing a restart to free up RAM and mainly does this in the early hours. very rare it does it though the day but it does happen

16 hours ago, Caution said:

I have had the same issue with my router and i would say every 6 month or so. this has happened 3-4 times and once i witness this as i work from home and see it reboot it self and came back with default wifi names of netgear. when i set it back up and done a restart (in the website) it then reformatted it self back to factory settings. but i put this down to all the settings i changed in one go. 
No loose of power as it is only this router it happened to and my other AP, modem and so no do not loose power. 

I also noticed my router every 2 weeks or so it will reboot/restart itself on it own. i put this down to it is doing a restart to free up RAM and mainly does this in the early hours. very rare it does it though the day but it does happen

It should not be resetting itself or having to reboot because of a ram issue. I would guess it’s either a hardware fault corrupted firmware, or possibly a spike with its power supply. 
it’s a real shame that Netgear aren’t able to hang on to their logs after a reboot as that may help to indicate what is going on.

really strange question, but is your MTU set at the correct value? 

On 11/29/2023 at 12:22 AM, Caution said:

This is just a crappy router and/or software. The lack of interest from both Netgear and Duma to get to the bottom of serious security issues like this is alarming and strongly suggests you should use a router of completely different brands.

On 11/29/2023 at 4:16 PM, Newfie said:

It should not be resetting itself or having to reboot because of a ram issue. I would guess it’s either a hardware fault corrupted firmware, or possibly a spike with its power supply. 
it’s a real shame that Netgear aren’t able to hang on to their logs after a reboot as that may help to indicate what is going on.

really strange question, but is your MTU set at the correct value? 

I have reformatted it a couple of times. even done the full formate with a computer and stupid command lines. 
There no power as just had wires tested about a year ago and now power cuts. 
the MTU set i have to say i am not sure. at the moment i am with talk talk 150MB and it is set to 1500 but this is from what i seen on talk talk website. but i know never to trust talk talk. but could not find any more info on it. 
I know i am on fibre to the cabinet then copper to the house. 
I also know  i can get Full Fiber to the house as  CityFIber installed 2GB line and then 2-4 week later Openreach installed fibre so other company's like BT, SKY and so on can do 1GB on that line. but i have not moved yet as i am on such a good deal and have prob around 8 month left before i can move. 
talk talk used a BT Modem that can handel 1GB connection. 

Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 18.12.24.png