Any way to force 2.4Ghz Connection

Hey there,

I am running an XR450 running V2.3.2.114 I just updated this weekend. I have a few IoT devices (light plugs, HomePods, Sonos, etc.) and sometimes get connection issues I wanted to troubleshoot. I Noticed that they connect to the router at 2.4 or 5 depending on the distance (ie signal strength I suppose) and I was wondering if there may be an issue with the two radios being able to talk to each other (or i guess the backplane or the router having comm issues, I don't know how foolproof the system is or even really how it works). I have my SSID on both radios as identical so I think the router just works its magic to make sure the best radio is being used at a given time. 

Anyway, to troubleshoot or reduce variables, I was wondering if there is a way I can set the devices to connect on either 2.4 or 5ghz, at least temporarily. Is there a setting on the router I can toggle? I looked in device manager and couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Hey Matt!

Did you factory reset after upgrading firmware? That's often a good start as it means there isn't anything low-level left over from the previous firmware.

Otherwise, you can disable SmartConnect in the 'Settings' panel to separate the two wireless channels and then you can connect all IoT devices to the 2.4GHz channel.

Hey thanks. I didn't reset yet. When I separate the channels, will objects on the other channel still see what is on the 2.4 channel or are they seen as 2 separate networks?

Hi

If you mean you have say a TV box on 2.4 and you can remotely stream to it via a phone and that’s connected on the 5Ghz then yes, devices can see each other as it’s on the same network and not isolated. 

what many do is IoT are placed on the 2.4 and 5Ghz handles devices that need the extra throughput. Distance though comes into play depending on the environment. 

11 hours ago, Newfie said:

Hi

If you mean you have say a TV box on 2.4 and you can remotely stream to it via a phone and that’s connected on the 5Ghz then yes, devices can see each other as it’s on the same network and not isolated. 

what many do is IoT are placed on the 2.4 and 5Ghz handles devices that need the extra throughput. Distance though comes into play depending on the environment. 

Hi Newfie,

Sorry for not being clearer originally.
Yes I have several AppleTvs, light plugs, HomePods and a Sonos Roam. My thought based on Liam’s post was: 

1) if I turn off SmartConnect I assume I will no longer see a single SSID, but then see something like [SSID NAME] 2.4 GHz and [SSID NAME] 5 GHz or something of the like

2) If the above is true, and if I keep the same SSID name and password, will all of my devices still be able to see each other if say my AppleTVs and other PCs are on 5Ghz, for bandwidth reasons and if my smart plugs, HomePods and Sonos Were signed into the 2.4Ghz section?

3) Also, I assume I will lose any sort of “smart switching” that the router would try to implement if I went this route where it automatically down steps my devices from the 5GHz antenna to the 2.4GHz antenna. 

I hope that helps and I welcome any feedback or clarification. Thanks!

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Jaquio said:

Thank you, all! Out of curiosity how does the router know to connect the two devices? Or is that special sauce?

Usually devices won't talk to each other that much unless you initiate that connection. IOT is an exception but as they're all connected to the same network it doesn't matter, they can see each other, the connection method doesn't matter in that sense.