Bandwidth Required to Play?

Andpodepah

talk guys,

I have observed my bandwidth consumption in (Cold War/Wazone) which is absolutly low, the game doesn't consume even 500Kbps during a match...
So, what is the need for me to have a contracted bandwidth of 600Mbps dow and 400up?
is it really necessary, or would a plan of just 10Mbps Dow and 1Up do?
I would like to know your views on this!

banda.png

1mb would be hitting the bare minimum. It’s not so much bandwidth to play the game but it’s the latency it creates.

If one Ethernet frame (1500 bytes) of your other devices just started sending from the router, and your game packet arrives at the router. Then at 1mbit link speed it will take your router 12ms to clear that frame before it sends your game packet. At 10mbit upload it would take 1.2ms and at 100mbit it would take 0.12ms, 1Gbit 0.012ms

Latency is a function of bandwidth, but with diminishing returns. Ie going from 100 to 200 mbit is not such a difference (0.12ms VS 0.06ms) but going from 1 to 10mbit is a big difference.

This is also why I suspect that throttling works for some people, ie when you drop your upload bandwidth to 0.5mbit you are creating 0-24ms bufferbloat for yourself and it’s in fact updating the server later.

Gaming doesn't ever use much bandwidth really, it's more that it needs to be very consistent and stable. If you were to drop your plan down to much lower speeds, you may experience more local congestion and therefore impact the stability of the connection while gaming. QoS can help with this, but having plenty of contracted bandwidth is also important.

7 hours ago, Bert said:

1mb would be hitting the bare minimum. It’s not so much bandwidth to play the game but it’s the latency it creates.

If one Ethernet frame (1500 bytes) of your other devices just started sending from the router, and your game packet arrives at the router. Then at 1mbit link speed it will take your router 12ms to clear that frame before it sends your game packet. At 10mbit upload it would take 1.2ms and at 100mbit it would take 0.12ms, 1Gbit 0.012ms

Latency is a function of bandwidth, but with diminishing returns. Ie going from 100 to 200 mbit is not such a difference (0.12ms VS 0.06ms) but going from 1 to 10mbit is a big difference.

This is also why I suspect that throttling works for some people, ie when you drop your upload bandwidth to 0.5mbit you are creating 0-24ms bufferbloat for yourself and it’s in fact updating the server later.

I understood!
If only my PS5 is receiving the R2's bandwidth, then a 10Mbps / 1Mbps plan would even be ok.

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

Gaming doesn't ever use much bandwidth really, it's more that it needs to be very consistent and stable. If you were to drop your plan down to much lower speeds, you may experience more local congestion and therefore impact the stability of the connection while gaming. QoS can help with this, but having plenty of contracted bandwidth is also important.

If I only use the PS5, via cable on R2, considering a bandwidth of 1Mbps (QOS off) this band could cause me a bufferbloat, since there is only a single PS5 connected via cable?

12 minutes ago, Andpodepah said:

If I only use the PS5, via cable on R2, considering a bandwidth of 1Mbps (QOS off) this band could cause me a bufferbloat, since there is only a single PS5 connected via cable?

If there's nothing else on the network then no, there won't be any congestion and the PS5 will be fine, it's just if you have other devices also generating traffic.

21 hours ago, Andpodepah said:

I ran some tests with the QoS in the R2 on my PC in Warzone and BLOPS CW a few months ago. I actually found that if I throttled the bandwidth to just 1.5mb down and 0.6mb up, my hit detection was incredible. The initial test was with no other devices using the connection, but even after allowing a TV and XBOX One on at the same time, I was able to share the bandwidth out between the three devices and still achieve a great gaming experience in Warzone and BLOPS CW. If you are able to only use the PS5 while gaming, there IS no need to have super fast Fibre.