Finding Games in a WIFI Connection is Inconsistent (Sometimes Impossible)

Hey There Duma Community!

Ever since COD Cold War came out last November up until now i’ve had a bunch of issues that I can’t grasp. The jist of it all is that when I connect wirelessely i’m unable to find matches properly in a consistent way - my game shows immediately either that it is looking for an 185ms ping game ( does not start gradually increasing like it does to everybody I know) and it either does not find any match for some time ( which makes for a terrible waste of time) or just does not find any (the only solution then is to wire it up).The games I do get in though are NEVER laggy nor does my connection show any signs on any device of any type of speed slowdown  (neither partially nor completely) which begs the question - why? . I’m on a PS5 (used to be on a PS4 with the same problem during the launch period) and living in Portugal. Also, when I check my ping on the new connection quality menu that Treyarch added (right under options) all the servers show 100+ping and packet loss. I have had my ISP check the signal on my router and it is at the appropriate strength and my PS5 does show 100% signal too.

At this point what should I try? I have solved many semi complex problems throughout the years but this one has been lasting too long not to have a solution!

• Administrators

I assume you're using the Geo-Filter is that right? I suspect it's something to do with the router showing the PS5 as two different devices - one wired, one WiFi and one or the other isn't added to the Geo-Filter. Check the IP on the console itself when it's on WiFi and ethernet, then check the Device Manager to check and name them so you know which is which then add them both to the Geo-Filter without super restrictive settings and see if it works.

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I assume you're using the Geo-Filter is that right? I suspect it's something to do with the router showing the PS5 as two different devices - one wired, one WiFi and one or the other isn't added to the Geo-Filter. Check the IP on the console itself when it's on WiFi and ethernet, then check the Device Manager to check and name them so you know which is which then add them both to the Geo-Filter without super restrictive settings and see if it works.

At this moment i’m not using the geo filter since it basically made no difference in the troubleshooting process. I have now added my PS5 to the DMZ of my router and port fowarded all ports of interest to the right IP (the Wifi IP).  I have added a picture showing the ping values I get to all servers ingame. At this point what should I try? I would also clarify that this seems to be an issue ONLY in COD Cold War

image.jpg

16 hours ago, Bert said:

How far is the playstation off the router?

Seems like the wifi is just creating extra latency.

It’s right next to it basically, check this picture. That’s my ISP router on the left 

image.jpg

11 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

It's odd that you're not using Geo-filter yet still seeing these issues.

Are you using QoS? 

If you connect your PS5 directly to the modem do you still have the same issues?

I’m not using QoS. If I do a wired connection to the Modem all issues are solved, it’s my wireless connection that seems to be the problem ever since I ran into this problem.

I don’t have any devices really, just a normal phone but not too close to it. My ISP Modem does have a kinda rotten cable. It’s covered with a little bit of tape at the point where it sticks inside a wall. I’m wondering if perhaps static electricity might somehow affect my ping values? That tape I mentioned before used to not be there (it produces eletric shocks that’s why I decided to put it there) and the issue still persisted but, still, maybe I should get my ISP to do a check on all those cables and see whether that somehow affects my connection?

21 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Electrical devices and static could affect this yes, you could use some electrical tape and that may help. Disabling the ISP modem WiFi as well could help.

I bought a power link adapter today and that’s how I solved this issue! It’s not too troublesome and there’s no need for an ethernet cable too, just a small one going to the router directly to the power line, thanks for the help !