gaming router

Afternoon.
I've got a xr500 on order for this week and I'm still in 2 minds between netduma R2 and xr500.
Am I right in both the R2 and XR500 running the duma 3.0 version,  the netduma gets updates bit faster and xr500 more powerful. As still in 2 minds which one to buy.
I want it for ps5 gaming as fed up with lag on cod and connecting to hosting players other world as I'm in UK.  I'll also use it for other shooters and games on ps5.
I currently have a tp link 9980 and also have new smart hub 2, as these are both modem/routers are they ok to use and which one is the better to use. 

How do I set up the gaming router xr or R2 to connect to my tp link or smart hub 2. Do I need to deactivate anything like WiFi, change any settings, don't know if xr or R2 clash with my other modem/routers, a guide be great thanks guys or netduma hq. I have ps5 in DMZ with a tp link at mo.
Thank you guys

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Yes that's correct, although the 3.0 version on the XR500 is in beta, you will need to update to this manually if you decide to get it. You can't influence what players join the servers but you can force the closest servers which will give you the best connection. You can use either, all you'll need to do ideally is put the R2 WAN IP in either the tp or hub DMZ and connect ALL devices to the R2.

Thank u fraser.

Hello guys I picked up xr500 and ain't got foggiest where to start. I can configure normal routers but this seems bit confusing.

Can u guys give me tips on what to do I have a ps5. So far I've plugged it into my tp link modem/router and run the few checks with xr500 that's about it. Pretty much stuck.

Thanks guys

Hello 

In leaflet in xr500 box says i can use the app I've downloaded the app and says I need duma 3.0 to use app, where do I get this from?. 

In a post before Fraser u mentioned putting R2 or xr in DMZ.  I did have ps5 in DMZ on my tp link via ethernet,  have I now got to plug ps5 in xr500 and put xr in a DMZ on the tp link, what does this do.? Do i then got put ps5 in DMZ on xr?

I've tried configuring xr and at mo not really seeing any difference maybe missed something. I put geo circle on UK about 400-500 miles, I put QoS on 70 percent, thought there was some kind test thing to check ping on loads and to keep it low at stable and can't find ping heat map for best server's/pings.

Thanks guys

• Administrators

You can find the DumaOS 3.0 beta here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/td-p/2071196/

Yes that's exactly right, although you don't need to put the PS5 in the DMZ on the XR. You need to put the WAN IP of the XR (found on the System Information page) into the DMZ on the TP, this passes all traffic straight through to the XR and ensures you can get an Open NAT on the console. 

Ping Heatmap and Connection Benchmark are in the 3.0 beta. It's important to note that you won't necessarily see a major difference all the time, if it is working well then you may not notice anything wrong as it's preventing you getting those laggy games and experiencing local congestion.

What is the average ping you're seeing on the Geo-Filter? Make sure ALL devices are connected to the XR as well otherwise QoS will not be as effective.

Thanks for the replys guys. 

I tried cod cold war and had moderate nat,  on tp link with ps5 in DMZ was open nat. 

Modem/routers have some kind firewall if I open up my tp link to xr have I still got that security with xr. 

You said about DMZ my tp link to xr500 I've found a tab in my to link under WAN and says add bridge mode? What's best way now?

Example if I'm using the tp link with ps5 DMZ it's just my ps5 open and everything else still running behind router firewall with everything else that's connected to it. Now if I put xr into DMZ to tp link and connect my devices to xr does that mean everything is open and no router firewall. 

On my xr500 now I've updated to duma 3.0 and thanks to guys at netduma hq for linking it. 

I've run connection bench mark and far right box ping under load is always showing a D where rest is A and green, I've changed the qos congestion control from 80 percent to low as 20 percent and still getting same results? 

I'm trying get my head around the profiles box under geo. I see the list of games does that mean every time I play call of duty cold war, modern warfare,  destiny 2,  battle front 2, warzone. I have to load up duma 3.0 and pick profile every time?. 

I added PS5 to geo service and set it 400 miles and then I see profiles. Is this 2 options profile's and my 400 miles settings.

Sorry for long post 

Thanks to everyone

You won't need to use bridge mode, putting the XR500s WAN IP in the TP Link's DMZ will be enough. What's the exact model of the TP link? Perhaps we can find out exactly where you can find the DMZ settings.

For QoS, I'd suggest making sure Congestion Control is set to 70/70 to begin with and ensure it's set to 'Always'. This is important for testing with Connection Benchmark. Run another test and see what the results are, feel free to post a screenshot here if it's still not great and we can help you improve it.

For your console in Geo-filter - Just select 'Choose manually' when adding a device profile. This means you won't need to select which game to filter every time you want to play something else.

Afternoon.

I have my tp link and my ps5 was connected to it via ethernet in a dmz with static IP on ps5 and i type that into DMZ in tp link and every thing was perfect, I run the test on console NAT type 2, I load up call of duty NAT type open, I would chat with friends in a party and in-game perfect. Everything was perfect until now. 

I now have this xr500 connected to my tp link and it's causing me problem's. I load up cod and it's moderate NAT type, I can't to talk to friends in party chat and ps5 network communication failure notification in corner,  I have put the WAN IP of the xr500 from system information into dmz on my tp link and it's still happening. 

I have QoS at 70 percent for download and upload and set to always on qos and in traffic prioritization duma classified games is on and I've added games console service PlayStation and that's on.

Connection benchmark green speed test A+, green ping test A+, but in ping test underload it's a Red D with results download 110ms and upload 78ms, idle 6. 

Sorry for long post 

Hopefully we can get this sorted 

Thank you

IMG_20210507_151636.jpg

• Administrators

Don't worry too much about the Ping Under Load results, we're still improving those on the XR routers. Are you using Smart Hub > TP > XR? Is the console reporting NAT Type 2? In WAN Settings change NAT to open and see if it is open.

No I'm only using tp link w9980 to xr500. I have new Smart hub 2 but it's in box. 

I've never had any issues with my tp link to PS4 or my ps5 with my tp link in DMZ only this duma and xr.

Tried playing cod moderate NAT when before on my tplink -ps5 dmz set up was always open gaming and chat perfect, now it's not with tp link-xr- ps5 set up

I've run a connection test on ps5  NAt type 2 successful. 

Don't know what u mean by this :

In WAN Settings change NAT to open and see if it is open.

Can I put the PS5 into a DMZ in the xr500 or does that defeat the purpose of having duma os geo filter, like I did before using my tp link dmz-ps5. 

Now then I'll have tp link DMZ to xr500 and ps5 in dmz on xr? Is it Safe.  

Thanks for your times guys of forums and netduma hq

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, madman123 said:

Can I put the PS5 into a DMZ in the xr500 or does that defeat the purpose of having duma os geo filter, like I did before using my tp link dmz-ps5. 

Now then I'll have tp link DMZ to xr500 and ps5 in dmz on xr? Is it Safe.  

Thanks for your times guys of forums and netduma hq

Yes you can absolutely do that if you wish to and switch NAT back to secured. It does open the device up to the internet but it should be fine - I would do it myself if needed

hi madman, i bought the nighthawk pro gaming router xr1000, and changed the settings to PPPOE to get rid of my BTHUB, my speeds have doubled with hardly any change.

Im getting 800+ download and 100+ upload on LAN.

You made the right choice to get the nighthawk.

3 hours ago, DaveCOP said:

hi madman, i bought the nighthawk pro gaming router xr1000, and changed the settings to PPPOE to get rid of my BTHUB, my speeds have doubled with hardly any change.

Im getting 800+ download and 100+ upload on LAN.

You made the right choice to get the nighthawk.

As xr just a router what modem are u using? The BT hubs are modem/routers

3 minutes ago, madman123 said:

As xr just a router what modem are u using? The BT hubs are modem/routers

He’s on fibre and has connected to the ONT reading his other thread. With VDSL you will need a modem.

I tried call of duty cold war and had so much trouble with it I give up. 

The game had stutters, chat party's communication failure, couldn't hear all the chat party participants. 

I tried using a DMZ and the cod nat was still moderate.

Am I doing this right when I first switched on xr it said the IP address was changed due to my tp link and is that the default gateway IP?  I went to wan and found DMZ option I ticked it and put in number between 2-254 and then used that for IP address on ps5, I put subnet mask in that always starts with 2, and default gateway  which is ip number i use to log into XR instead router login.

The xr wan IP I put into my tp link for dmz for the connect XR to is completely different to number you can type if you don't use routerlogin to log into the xr interface.

Guys at netduma can u message me the details 

Thanks

Maybe DMZ does not work on xr500. I set up like my tp link and still moderate nat on cod and trouble party chats.

Surely this gaming router would know psn and ps5 and chat party's and games.

I've turned off geo filter.  Ticked xr box for DMZ server in wan. Put details in PS5 still moderate.

To check u guys know your job. 

On my tp link at start this convo u said put xr wan IP in dmz on tp link. 

But when I set up the xr at start the xr changed a IP address due to conflict with my tp link at that start in boxes.

• Administrators

The DMZ will work as the console says NAT type 2, the game is a bit more finicky. Party chats you should just need to add your friends to the allow list. You mean you input manual connection details on the console itself? You don't need to do that you can just leave it as automatic. Yes that's right, the XR probably changed to 10.0.0.1 but there will still be a WAN IP in System Information - the IP which the TP Link has assigned it which needs to go into the TP DMZ