New XR1000 is it still worth it!

Hello NetDuma-Team / NetDuma Community,

did I just bone myself on buying a XR1000?

Are there any new features coming out?

The reason why I ask is that there is a DumaOS ver. 3 for the R2 but think that those features will never make it on the XR1000.

Many thanks in advance
Val.

P.S. Or did I misunderstand something major?

Hello Liam,

thank you for the warm welcome. :)

Is there a update incoming or is it possible to flash the full feature-set of DumaOS3 on the XR1000?

If not will the R2 be available on Amazon (Germany)?

Sincerely
Val.

Hello Fraser,

thank you for the information - As much as I understand the DumaOS is a NetDuma Product and Netgear offers compatible hardware with DumaOS Integration. (DomaOS Netgear Version)

Wish I had that information sooner and supported NetDuma directly. -.- / I just got the XR1000 for superior HW-Specs. 

So my go to for Firmware Feedback is Netgear?!

Best regards

Val.

The one thing I am looking forward is Adbock for the XR1000 (Hope it comes out!) but also have plenty of ideas:

- NTS for internal LAN/WiFi with Uplink to Secure Time Servers - Example: Project Chrony 

- DNS over DoH or DoT@853 Uplink with Example: Cloudflare / Quad9 (1.1.1.1@853 or 9.9.9.9@853)

- For Advanced Users (Lets Encrypt Client for Secure DynDNS Support) and Trusted Router Gateway Connection

Best regards

Val.

Do you have a particular use case in mind for needing NTP and DoH, or are these in the interest of security?

Thank you for the suggestions regardless, as these are the sort of things that would be implemented in Network Settings it would be mostly up to Netgear as to whether these sorts of features get implemented in future.

Hello Liam,

of course there are super cool use cases:

1. As you mentioned Security 
2. Network Overhead since IoT Devices tend to spam NTP Requests a central NTP Server could get that down to a minimum Option42 to Local IP and from there on DumaOS to Time Server over NTS 
3. DoH and DoT of course in terms of Security Reasons 
4. Lets Encrypt Support would do the following put the Router in Trusted Root CA so no more flags that the Device is unsecure in Browser because of Self-Signed Certificate. The other is for a Secure DynDNS Connection that is Encrypted from Point to Point and Verification that the Domain is legit plus some more Added advantages with VPN of course. :)

Best regards

Val.

• Administrators

Thanks for the suggestions and use cases, they're really interesting. It is important to note that DumaOS is designed to give control to the player and therefore we've made it quite simple to use and not overly complex. Adding things like this may detract from that and the general purpose of the router but something for us to consider.

I was about to make a post asking a question but I can honestly just put it in this topic here but has anyone complained about party chat not working on the XR1000 because im looking to ideally buy a different router where party chat is accessible again even with the duma 3.0 (preferably) on a different router. At this point I'd rather just buy almost any router just so party chat is an option again instead of continuing w/o it.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:24 AM, D3mon1c said:

I was about to make a post asking a question but I can honestly just put it in this topic here but has anyone complained about party chat not working on the XR1000 because im looking to ideally buy a different router where party chat is accessible again even with the duma 3.0 (preferably) on a different router. At this point I'd rather just buy almost any router just so party chat is an option again instead of continuing w/o it.

It doesn't appear to be a problem on the Nighthawk Pro Gaming lineup, the only reports we tend to hear of this is when users are using Geo-filter and blocking party chat servers by mistake.