Router intermittently drops all connected devices.

Deaconbrown

Hi

So my netduma just drops all connected devices. It's something that has happened since i got it, originally I thought it was down to the firmware, but since I upgraded to the new one when it came it still happens.

When the router just drops all connections I do connect to my virgin to see if it's my ISP but that works perfectly fine and has not gone down.
It happens intermittently.

Any thoughts on what it could be, I did think it could be an issue with the router maybe over heating etc but its not that warm when I touch it.

12 minutes ago, Deaconbrown said:

Hi

So my netduma just drops all connected devices. It's something that has happened since i got it, originally I thought it was down to the firmware, but since I upgraded to the new one when it came it still happens.

When the router just drops all connections I do connect to my virgin to see if it's my ISP but that works perfectly fine and has not gone down.
It happens intermittently.

Any thoughts on what it could be, I did think it could be an issue with the router maybe over heating etc but its not that warm when I touch it.

Does it drop internet on all hardwired connections as well?

I've been trying to deduce what causes my router to stop routing WAN traffic for months now and I've had two different R2's that both experience the same symptoms. It's really frustrating and at this point I believe is a software issue. It's crazy since it's been happening since I've got the first one on launch and I have to power cycle only the router each time. At this point, I've reconfigured my network set up so that all devices except for my main PC are going off a managed switch, wifi is off, DHCP is being handled on another device and IPV6 for WAN and LAN is off.

I don't understand how this gets past QA and it's been an issue on each firmware for me.

Edited by GenMatrix
added more notes

3 hours ago, GenMatrix said:

Does it drop internet on all hardwired connections as well?

I've been trying to deduce what causes my router to stop routing WAN traffic for months now and I've had two different R2's that both experience the same symptoms. It's really frustrating and at this point I believe is a software issue. It's crazy since it's been happening since I've got the first one on launch and I have to power cycle only the router each time. At this point, I've reconfigured my network set up so that all devices except for my main PC are going off a managed switch, wifi is off, DHCP is being handled on another device and IPV6 for WAN and LAN is off.

I don't understand how this gets past QA and it's been an issue on each firmware for me.

Yes it drop everything, and I have to reset my R2.

Its such a pain I have to connect my G/F work PC to the virgin box so she does not face any issue while I'm out at work.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you given the R2 a static IP on the V hub? I would recommend doing that as it should help a lot - you can use the IP it already has

Yes I followed what you advised in this post to me before https://forum.netduma.com/topic/35855-port-forwardingmodem-mode/?tab=comments#comment-301227

I have Virgin and would recommend you leave it in router mode, then you can put the R2 WAN IP in the DMZ of the V hub to get an open NAT on devices connected to the R2. It will have the basic effect as modem mode. You may not need to do port forwarding if you set it up like this.

• Administrators

I didn't mention that there but I assume you did so to prevent the IP changing for the DMZ.

On the R2 in DHCP settings, set the lease hours to 168 and apply, then reboot the router from the interface and see if it is any better after that please

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Did you try the suggestion I made previously? Is this the first time it has dropped since then? There is no guarantee that a replacement wouldn't have the same issue as it is a firmware issue that we'll need to fix

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you try the suggestion I made previously? Is this the first time it has dropped since then? There is no guarantee that a replacement wouldn't have the same issue as it is a firmware issue that we'll need to fix

Hi

yes I did what you suggested and the drop of connection improved where it would happen maybe 1 once or twice a week, But in the last 1-2 weeks it gotten worst again min drop has been 3-4 times a week and sometimes twice a day.

Is there any type of log I can record and send to you guys to have a look at whats going on?

• Administrators

In DHCP settings, change the DHCP range to use min 192.168.77.50, then assign reserved IPs to deserves using IPs ending in .2 - .49 then reboot the router from the interface please and then see if it is more stable.

Yes but we are very actively looking at the issue with a few users and collecting very detailed information, more than you can provide as standard so we're all good on that front, it's just a case of figuring out why it is happening and then fixing it.

So did what you suggested last night.

The connection to all devices dropped again, twice after making the changes.

This morning the router again dropped connection 3 times between 5am when I was up and around 7:30am, I had to move my xbox and PC over to my virgin hub so i can at least enjoy my morning.

All other devices are still connected to the netduma and so is my Macbook so I can see when the connection drops again.

2 hours ago, Deaconbrown said:

So did what you suggested last night.

The connection to all devices dropped again, twice after making the changes.

This morning the router again dropped connection 3 times between 5am when I was up and around 7:30am, I had to move my xbox and PC over to my virgin hub so i can at least enjoy my morning.

All other devices are still connected to the netduma and so is my Macbook so I can see when the connection drops again.

Are you able to get to the interface from the Macbook when the connection drops? Or is this inaccesible until the connection is restored?

23 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Are you able to get to the interface from the Macbook when the connection drops? Or is this inaccesible until the connection is restored?

No I am not able to connect to the interface, I have to unplug and plug in my duma and wait for it to all come back on.

Just got a message from my GF that the router has gone down again.

3 hours ago, Deaconbrown said:

No I am not able to connect to the interface, I have to unplug and plug in my duma and wait for it to all come back on.

Just got a message from my GF that the router has gone down again.

Thanks for letting us know.

Are you by any chance able to provide a rough list of the devices connected to the R2 and over what medium (wired or wireless)? 

Of course as Fraser said above, we can issue you a replacement but we can't guarantee that it will be the solution.