Can't Connect to Work Computer via Windows Remote Desktop

This is what we got back. We asked about the protocols and the RDP but this is the only answer we got so far. It looks like these are the standard ports for VPN so I'll assume it's the same for the RDP, which would be 3389. 

"The ports used to connect to VPN are 1723 and 47"

52 minutes ago, Tenebrous ReX said:

This is what we got back. We asked about the protocols and the RDP but this is the only answer we got so far. It looks like these are the standard ports for VPN so I'll assume it's the same for the RDP, which would be 3389. 

"The ports used to connect to VPN are 1723 and 47"

OK thanks for asking! You could try port forwarding those two ports and see if that helps.

Yep, I went ahead and tried that after he told us what they were. Still not able to get through though. 

Right now I'm getting by with putting both routers in router mode and putting the XR into the DMZ of the Hitron so it passes through. Then running my wife's computer into the Hitron, bypassing the XR for her completely. She can use Remote Desktop that way. All other computers are on the XR which hopefully is still firewalled.

It works, it's not ideal cause sometimes I get a double NAT issue on xbox, but it's working in a pinch. I wish I knew what in the XR was causing this not to work so I could just put the Hitron in bridge mode.

Also, you guys are great. Netgear hasn't even contacted me back and I have a warranty through them. So yeah. They might be the worst. 

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, Tenebrous ReX said:

Yep, I went ahead and tried that after he told us what they were. Still not able to get through though. 

Right now I'm getting by with putting both routers in router mode and putting the XR into the DMZ of the Hitron so it passes through. Then running my wife's computer into the Hitron, bypassing the XR for her completely. She can use Remote Desktop that way. All other computers are on the XR which hopefully is still firewalled.

It works, it's not ideal cause sometimes I get a double NAT issue on xbox, but it's working in a pinch. I wish I knew what in the XR was causing this not to work so I could just put the Hitron in bridge mode.

Also, you guys are great. Netgear hasn't even contacted me back and I have a warranty through them. So yeah. They might be the worst. 

Remove the device from the XR DMZ if you haven't already, also remove the Traffic Controller rule as well - leave NAT set to Open and you shouldn't get a double NAT. That's a good workaround for the minute. Usually the VPN connection is the part that doesn't work - the port information wasn't what I was after so I'm not hopeful but do you know if the VPN is OpenVPN? If it was then you could potentially apply this on the router and then to the device and perhaps the RDP would work then.

Cool. Thanks. Yeah I took the computer out of the XR's DMZ and turned it off. The VPN is just whatever Windows 10 has built in. They don't use any 3rd Party software for VPN or Remote Desktop, It's all Windows 10. The VPN never fails to go though.

So I just got off the phone with NetGear tech support, they were very nice. I sent them the link to this forum post of all the stuff we have tried. They said:

"Please try to communicate with your ISP again and inform them about changing the WAN IP Address into Public IP address when the cable modem router is on bridged mode."

Does this make sense to you guys? I don't know anything about this stuff. 

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Tenebrous ReX said:

So I just got off the phone with NetGear tech support, they were very nice. I sent them the link to this forum post of all the stuff we have tried. They said:

"Please try to communicate with your ISP again and inform them about changing the WAN IP Address into Public IP address when the cable modem router is on bridged mode."

It makes sense, sort of. When the modem is in bridge mode then the XR WAN IP will be your public IP address anyway. Either way it's not pertinent to the issue at hand so we'll continue investigating.

16 hours ago, Tenebrous ReX said:

Hello 

as much as I understand how your Network looks alike I think I get the general Idea:

PC ----> Hiltron ----> ISP (Before)
PC ----> XR ----> Hiltron ----> ISP (After)

As long as the Hiltron is not in Bridged Mode it will double NAT all Connections (NAT from XR and NAT from Hiltron) - What does Bridged Mode mean?! - No Firewall / No NAT - Just simple 1:1 Traffic 

Now VPN and RDP
Depends how the VPN is configured some have Split-Tunneling others Route all traffic thru the VPN.

My Setup is a little more complex but similar:
Private PC ----> XR ----> ISP Modem ----> ISP (My Private Laptop)
Work PC ----> Sophos RED ----> XR -----> ISP Modem -----> ISP (Work Laptop)

I made it simple and connected my Work Laptop via Cable to the Sophos RED or as an example connect VPN with Wired Connection LAN

Then Connected my Work Laptop again over the Wireless Network

Work PC (LAN - 10.x.x.x) ----> Sophos RED or VPN ----> XR -----> ISP Modem -----> ISP (Work Laptop)
Work PC (WIFI - 192.168.1.x) ----> XR -----> ISP Modem -----> ISP (Work Laptop)
Private PC (LAN/WIFI - 192.168.1.x) ----> XR ----> ISP Modem ----> ISP (My Private Laptop)

Since both are on the same Subnet, RDP should just work Out-Of-The-Box with no DNAT / SNAT settings. You just need to login with Domain credentials:

Domain.local\Username or [email protected]
Domain Password

Tip: Device Manager is super useful to see what device has what IP - I prefer to go to DHCP Settings and Reserve the IP Like that it is always the same. 

If by any chance you have a SSL VPN Client try launching that "As Administrator" Like that DNS Routes are set correctly and afterwards if the Connections is established / connect additionally to the WiFi Network - Then it works just the same as above. ( Tested with OpenVPN Client / Sophos SSL VPN Client / Sophos Hardware RED Appliance) 

Sincerely
Val.