Can't Connect to Work Computer via Windows Remote Desktop

Hello,

I'm having a troubling issue. My wife regularly VPNs into work and uses Remote Desktop to take control of her computer there. Before the XR1000 was added everything was working fine through our Rogers Internet supplied modem/router which was a Hitron Coda 4582U. The hitron has been put into gateway mode and the XR1000 was added and now she can't use Remote Desktop at all. The VPN to her work goes though, but Remote Desktop just times out. We used a wifi hotspot from our phone and were able get Remote Desktop to her work that way but that's not a solution.

A friend said to try changing the starting local IP of the XR1000 as it could be interfering with the connection if both her work and home IPs were similar. I have since done that, changing the router's IP to 192.168.43.1 since her work uses 192.168.1.7 but remote desktop still will not connect. The I.T. person at her work said that something in the router was causing it to hang up, I've tried messing with the QoS and Traffic Controller but still nothing.

I'm hoping I could get some help. I'm not really that literate when it comes to networking. I know enough to be dangerous but that's about it.

Let me know if you require any more info and I'm happy to supply. 

Thanks,

Paul  

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Firstly, if you haven't already you'll need to put the XR1000 in the DMZ of the Hitron so all traffic passes straight through to the XR. Then I'd recommend trying two things:

Disabling QoS fully from the Congestion Control :menu menu 

Making a Traffic Controller rule to allow ALL traffic to ALL ports i.e.:

Source 1-65535
Destination 1-65535
Protocol TCP/UDP

You can also try toggling IGMP Proxying in Settings > WAN

Hey Fraiser, thanks for the response.

When the Hitron is in gateway mode I lose all options for DMZ and stuff so it should just be a modem. The only setting on the page is to put it back into router mode. I tried the other 3 things you suggested and nothing has worked. At this point I'm honestly not sure if it's the new router OR the Hitron router when put into gateway mode. I tried taking the Hitron out of gateway mode and putting the XR1000 into the DMZ and still nothing. The only time I can get Remote Desktop to work is when I connect directly into the Hitron when it's in router mode.

Let me know if you have any other ideas.

I've logged a ticket with Netgear and am currently waiting for a response there. If I Find anything out and get it to work, I will post here with the fix. 

Thanks again!

Paul

Sorry to hear that, I think you can remove the PC from the DMZ now.

If you haven't already, could you please go to Network settings -> Setup -> LAN setup and under Address reservation please reserve the current IP for the PC trying to use RDP.

Then go to Network Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Port Forwarding. Click Add custom service and name the service whatever you want. Then for the port enter 3389, this is the port RDP uses. Use the same port for incoming and outgoing traffic and then select the device the rule applies to. After saving this, give the router a quick reboot if possible just to be sure.

Hopefully those instructions make sense, let me know if you have any questions!

Unfortunately again, no luck. Sometimes when I toggle the QoS rules and the traffic rules on and off I can get it past "initiating connection" to "securing connection" but then it just hangs there and ultimately fails. The IT guy from my wife's work previously did something where he would constantly ping the work computer and it would sometimes work and sometimes Time Out. It was intermittent but as soon as we started trying to Remote Desktop in, it would Time Out constantly. 

I really appreciate you guys helping with this though. I'm super at a loss.

Okay, so admittedly I don't know much about this stuff but is it possible I could take the Hitron out of bridge mode and put it back into router mode, then set the XR1000 to get IP addresses from it? Is that RIP Direction? Would I disable the DHCP Server on the XR or have two routers?  If I do this, will I lose all the cool functionality of the XR and DumaOS?

I tried doing the same thing. It might be beyond your control. Your organization could have some sort of settings that only they can change. At least that was the case for me. In other words, I don't think it's your router. 

Hmmm. It's so weird that literally everyone can connect with different set ups, even via a cell hotspot, even when plugged into my hitron while it's in bridge mode. I can use remote desktop. The only time it fails is when it goes through the XR1000. It's so odd and I can't figure it out. Any way you can tell me what settings you had to change on the remote end so I can pass the info along to my wife's IT guy?

Thanks for chiming in!

18 hours ago, Tenebrous ReX said:

Okay, so admittedly I don't know much about this stuff but is it possible I could take the Hitron out of bridge mode and put it back into router mode, then set the XR1000 to get IP addresses from it? Is that RIP Direction? Would I disable the DHCP Server on the XR or have two routers?  If I do this, will I lose all the cool functionality of the XR and DumaOS?

You could give that a go for sure, I'm not sure it will make too much difference though as it's similar to what we tried earlier. The Hitron DHCP server is only going to be giving an address to the XR and won't be able to distribute addresses to the devices connected to the XR, so you'll need the DHCP server enabled on the XR.

One way we could narrow this down would be to put the XR1000 in AP mode temporarily, this will essentially disable DumaOS and the XR will simply be an access point. If RDP works, we know it's something we need to change on the XR, if it still doesn't work it may suggest that configuration needs to be done elsewhere. Make sure the Hitron is in router mode when you do this.

4 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

One way we could narrow this down would be to put the XR1000 in AP mode temporarily, this will essentially disable DumaOS and the XR will simply be an access point. If RDP works, we know it's something we need to change on the XR, if it still doesn't work it may suggest that configuration needs to be done elsewhere. Make sure the Hitron is in router mode when you do this.

Setting the XR1000 as an access point worked!  Unfortunately, I don't want a $300 access point. Lol.  But yeah, it allowed the RDC to go through with no problem. So now i guess we just have to figure out what the heck in Duma is causing it to NOT work. 

This is how the Hitron is set when it's in router mode. I lose the ability to change anything when I put it into bridge mode though so it SHOULD just be a modem. Are you saying to disable all this and then put the Hitron back into Bridge mode and the XR back into Router Mode?

image.thumb.png.017f930c51617b09eb3cc9e4900a7ec6.png

21 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Leave the Hitron in router mode and put the XR back into router mode, then do the following:

Entire Firewall - Off
P2P - Allow
Ident - Allow

Leave the rest as they are then see if it works

Nope. Remote Desktop hangs on "initiating connection" again. image.thumb.png.80c818520ef243b99e975049617f86a5.png

Screenshot 2021-04-20 141357.png