Shared configs

Had this idea with with a fellow dumaOS user in our Discord a few min ago.

In short, it would REALLY be epic if there were a "Save Settings" system in place along with a "Share Settings". This Share Settings could create a small config file that we could share with others. In this file would have EVERYTHING we have done, from blocking certain IP's, to configuring geo-filtering, on ones dumaOS. I say everything but obviously not a persons VPN account login info or things like that. If we could share our configs with others, and all they had to do was load said config to have our exact settings...Well, this would make things SO MUCH FASTER.

request.png

That's a cool idea! The only issue I can see with it is that a lot of settings are specific to your location and your network. So for example, Geo-filter and QoS work best when they are set up and optimised for the specific location of a user or the type of devices and traffic on their network. That being said, assuming you live somewhat close to your friends, this could still be a pretty cool tool. I'll mention this idea to the team.

8 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

That's a cool idea! The only issue I can see with it is that a lot of settings are specific to your location and your network. So for example, Geo-filter and QoS work best when they are set up and optimized for the specific location of a user or the type of devices and traffic on their network. That being said, assuming you live somewhat close to your friends, this could still be a pretty cool tool. I'll mention this idea to the team.

It would also be highly useful to Admins of small to large companies. Setup one system to your specifics and then you don't have to take 30 min to multiple hours setting up other machines...You just save your config file and distribute it to your other machines.

On 4/14/2021 at 7:26 AM, Netduma Liam said:

That's a cool idea! The only issue I can see with it is that a lot of settings are specific to your location and your network. So for example, Geo-filter and QoS work best when they are set up and optimised for the specific location of a user or the type of devices and traffic on their network. That being said, assuming you live somewhat close to your friends, this could still be a pretty cool tool. I'll mention this idea to the team.

Hey Liam, quick question. IS there a limit to the number of blocks per device in geo-filter? Up to around 200 or maybe more and running into issues where previously blocked servers/relays/IP's are unblocked or can't interact with them any longer.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Old Man Spetz said:

Hey Liam, quick question. IS there a limit to the number of blocks per device in geo-filter? Up to around 200 or maybe more and running into issues where previously blocked servers/relays/IP's are unblocked or can't interact with them any longer.

You have 200 servers/peers listed in the deny section? Are you using this to filter? If so you don't need to do that as the filter will block anything outside the radius. I'll check with the team to see if there is a limit.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You have 200 servers/peers listed in the deny section? Are you using this to filter? If so you don't need to do that as the filter will block anything outside the radius. I'll check with the team to see if there is a limit.

Geo-Filtering no longer works with Destiny 2 because of the change from p2p to SDR.

Yes, blocking to filter. We had about 255 servers blocked and started running into issues with servers becoming unblocked and others unable to interact with. Testers are now resetting their routers to factory settings. Planning on naming the servers blocked this time to make sure things aren't coming undone.

Would still love an answer regarding a limit.

Appreciate the help. 

It’s a cool idea but as Liam points out it’s what’s included with a config that would create issues so it would need to be separated.

Just for info businesses tend to use more complex networks with controllers, they tend to be more for control, security and ability to remote control if need be by administrator. As such Cisco, Ruckus, Juniper, Draytec, Ubiquiti and more offer better control and security where information is held but are either licensed or free from charges depending on the system.

So they may include WiFi security detecting rogue AP points to deauth attacks or they may monitor suspicious activity within a network, greater control of APs, secure sockets within the infrastructure, paid services, multiple Vlans and so on. 

With the R2 it’s really aimed at domestic users but I wonder if you could separate some aspects that can be used as you suggested. 
As it stands create a document and copy and paste all the address into that then you simply send that and the details can be copied and pasted in to save a bit of time. 

7 hours ago, Newfie said:

With the R2 it’s really aimed at domestic users but I wonder if you could separate some aspects that can be used as you suggested. 
As it stands create a document and copy and paste all the address into that then you simply send that and the details can be copied and pasted in to save a bit of time. 

This is what I am talking about. Obviously they wouldn't copy specific items to your own network. However, block or allow has to be stored somewhere, why not make it something that can be saved/shared.

Only a dev can answer that and how much time they require if there was a huge call for it. I can’t off the top of my head think of any routers that offer fragments within a config that can be saved. 

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Old Man Spetz said:

Geo-Filtering no longer works with Destiny 2 because of the change from p2p to SDR.

Yes, blocking to filter. We had about 255 servers blocked and started running into issues with servers becoming unblocked and others unable to interact with. Testers are now resetting their routers to factory settings. Planning on naming the servers blocked this time to make sure things aren't coming undone.

Would still love an answer regarding a limit.

Appreciate the help. 

Is all that to try and play solo/match against your friends? I've asked a dev and will get back to you with an answer. I can't see the idea being implemented for awhile but I don't see why they couldn't do it